PDA

View Full Version : Degraded file trasnfer speeds Windows 7

supersi
04-09-2009, 01:03 AM
I've plugged my Maxtor One-Touch 2.5" SATA drive into my Windows 7 RC7100 PC. I am trying to copy over to the USB drive a 2GB file.
At first the transfer speed is a respectable 54mbs sec, but it has degraded to less than 2mb sec as I type this. What is wrong?

I have reformatted the 2.5" drive, do I need to use some diagnostic tool to fix the partition? Are there settings in Windows 7 that directly affect file transfers?
I've noticed that between my internal SATA drives the transfer rate is about 54mbs sec, is it the external drive?

Blam
04-09-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't think its Windows 7. Could you copy the same file on a different OS and see if it still happens?

Could you perform a chkdsk on it?

wainuitech
04-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I've found Windows 7 a LOT quicker, than both XP and Vista - transfer files without any problems in slowness. Just yesterday I did a 5 GB transfer from MY pc to the WHS - took half the time it would have in XP & Vista.

Just did a 30MB transfer to check the actual speed , by the time I clicked on "more details" it had finished.

Blam
04-09-2009, 11:15 AM
I've found Windows 7 a LOT quicker, than both XP and Vista - transfer files without any problems in slowness. Just yesterday I did a 5 GB transfer from MY pc to the WHS - took half the time it would have in XP & Vista.

Just did a 30MB transfer to check the actual speed , by the time I clicked on "more details" it had finished.

And the "estimated time left" actually works now, unlike Vista!:p

wainuitech
04-09-2009, 01:34 PM
And the "estimated time left" actually works now, unlike Vista!:p:thumbs: Yeh didn't ya just love that;

Seconds remaining 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 Finished :lol: