PDA

View Full Version : Big prob, NOD32

transam
03-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi all, firstly l am not very PC literate so here goes. On start up NOD32 Amon will not initialise monitor, screen says, NOD32 damaged or missing. I've tried everything to fix it and find it with no luck, it's in the listings but when l try to activate it nothing, so l tried to delete it from add & delete programs and from the Windows list, no luck, told doesn't exist. I installed PC spyware (before had Ad-ware) Doctor which found 3 trojons and one backdoor virus and loads of lesser viruses which it dealt with, still the same. Installed Spybot, this found another 43 probs, which it fixed but NOD32 still not working, but tries too on start up. I click on quit for the NOD32 in case it's badly infected and will cause more probs. The reason l worry is that my on line banking, on start up, my customer number and password are on screen, which of course is a no no, l assume a serious virus is trying to infiltrate my account. l opened another user account on my PC which has cured the banking problem as a temporary measure. Any ideas how l can get rid of the NOD32, in words simple as pos please (ha ha), any advise will be very much appreciated.
PS. My modem is my mobile phone because l am out of the country at present. Regards Transam

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2009, 07:49 PM
If this is a computer, disable system restore if its vista or xp. Get hijackthis below. Install/run it. Click on scan the system and save a log. Copy and paste the log here. Get trojan remover below. Update it then click on scan. Then select all options under utils menu (if youre using 32 bit). I would also get malwarebytes below, update it then do a full scan. If you cant boot the PC normally reboot then press/hold F8 down. Then select safe mode / networking. Then post a log

WarNox
03-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Download and install malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/). Boot into safe mode and run a scan in there, should pick up any infections you have. After that you should be able to remove nod32, if a virus is the problem.

Did you actually try uninstalling it from Add Remove Programs? NOD itself should not be causing problems. If you can update it run a scan with it in safe mode too.

Let me know how you go.

Gregor

transam
03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
As l said, l'm pretty useless on this subject of PC's probs, boot into safe mode, how? l tried uninstalling it from everywhere with the same answer. Thanks for your info you guy's, in Thailand at the mo, if l were back in UK l would have somebody look at it but here shish!!

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I told you reboot / press / hold f8 down till a menu comes up. Select safe mode / networking. So where is it now, in the UK or with you??

transam
03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
It's with me, in the sun driving me nuts. l have downloaded malwarebytes so see what happens.

wainuitech
03-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Amon will not initialise monitor

That error message was usually seen in the earlier versions of Nod 2.7.

What version of Nod32 did you have - its currently up to 4.0.437.0

Download the Latest version - If you have a paid version (http://www.eset.com/download/index.php#) or Trial Version (http://www.eset.com/download/free_trial_download_int.php) -- IF you had V 2.7, then its a long way out of date.

Install Nod straight in, it should overwrite any files currently in your system - then do a scan - you may actually find it will detect infections as its installing, so expect that to happen.

transam
03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Well, l have done the malwarebytes scan, found 3 infections in microsoft security centre marked as bad. Fixed that but NOD32 still doing the same thing. But now in the tray we have a red shield with an X in it saying firewall turned off, but in security centre it says it is on. Whats cooking here ?

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Hmm I could check it remotely if it boots in to safe mode with teamviewer. Only thing is, you would have to pm me the id and password after you install/run it. But you cant, you need 10 posts first. Get trojan remover if you havent as well.

wainuitech
03-09-2009, 09:46 PM
What version of Nod do you have installed ?

transam
03-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Well, l've tried everything. Nod32 won't let me update it manually so l downloaded NOD32 4 to upgrade, deleting all the other spy downloads, as advised by NOD, downloaded it OK but the new version could not remove the old 2.7 to put in the upgrade, back to square one. Think l'll have a beer.

transam
04-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Last thought, as l have now run half a dozen different virus removal sites through the PC and it now comes up as clean with them all, am l right to think the PC is OK now, except that the damaged NOD32 is lodged in the PC but no threat ?

wainuitech
04-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Download Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/) - you can get the portable version, no need to install it then.
Run it, and see if it will show Nod32. If it does, select it, hit uninstall, select the advanced option - when it runs, dont reboot if Nod uninstalls Via its own uninstaller( this is important) - click NO - then click Next, remove all reg files it finds, remove all Folders it finds - NOW you can reboot.

Reinstall Nod32 V4.

pctek
04-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Download Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/)
Run it, and see if it will show Nod32. If it does, select it, hit uninstall,

If it doesn't then you'll have to remove the old NOD manually. And the registry entries for it.
Then install the new one.

Blam
04-09-2009, 08:40 AM
If it doesn't then you'll have to remove the old NOD manually. And the registry entries for it.
Then install the new one.

Try hunter mode first. Open Nod32, then select it with hunter mode in revo

transam
04-09-2009, 05:23 PM
:thanks:clap, Well done chaps, Revo cracked it. Revo still said program damaged or missing but l carried on and it found stuff. When finished, lt allowed the install of NOD32 4 but l still had the problem, security centre said Nod32 2.7, firewall turned off and being warned on screen. So l set up Revo again to see NOD32 2.7 fix icon, so l went through the procedure again for the NOD32 fix removal, loads of stuff came up and took ages to remove, but it did the trick, seems the bad guy was in the fix program. Hopefully that's the end of it. I have a 30 free trial of the NOD32 4, should l buy it or what do you think, or go for a free protector of some sort. Again many thanks to you all from a novice. Transam

gary67
04-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Nod is probably the best on the market however Avast is good and free. I would go with Nod still though, on my main machine and have Avast on the other machines that get less use

wainuitech
04-09-2009, 08:59 PM
should l buy it or what do you think, or go for a free protector of some sort. You heard the old line a pictures worth a thousand words--- A customers laptop - I was told -- had Trend Micro up to date, they uninstalled that, and installed avast - which found some infections - then around a week later the thing crashed altogether.

I removed the HDD, slaved it to a workshop PC and scanned it with Nod32 -- The results (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Virus_Count.jpg) - the 1 it left is in the Email / deleted items.

Chris09
04-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Ah yes, this problem. Done that to me before, but that was because it sacrificed itself for me when I was hit with a hefty Trojan. As far as I'm aware, it puts it self in front and takes the hit, but damages the foundation files. A couple of other friends, when attacked have had the red alert appear, the PC crashed and NOD32 becomes damaged. Reinstall, and you are away again.

Good you fixed it though. NOD32 is simply the best, fast, and most effective anti-virus on the market. Get Smart Security if you can. :)

transam
04-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Forgot to mention, my number one user account on my PC still comes up with my bank account number and pass word, but the pass word from the original infection, NOT my new pass word :p , l've tried Revo-ing a lot of stuff to cure it, but l can live with it and use my second account for my banking. The new NOD32 4 came up with 6 infections but did not deal with the bank stuff. Thanks again, Transam

transam
05-09-2009, 01:14 AM
FINALY, no really, in my part of the world the only browser that works is Google Chrome, anything else is a snail, so l tried looking at my bank details via internet explorer on the user side of the pc with the prob, NO BANK DETAILS shown. so l Revo'd Google Chrome and re-installed it, problem solved, no bank details. Seems between them G. Chrome and NOD32 Fix programs caused the problem. Amen.

nedkelly
05-09-2009, 09:30 AM
from the sounds of it you had form autofill on

transam
05-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Not the case, l changed my log on details with out altering G.Chrome and tried loging on with the details that were locked in the bank boxes on page, told me wrong details, obviously locked into original details, deleted details in boxes and put in new, all OK. Log on again, same thing, old details in boxes.

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Use something like ccleaner to remove them. or clear the browser's cache

transam
06-09-2009, 01:56 AM
l Revo'd Google Chrome then reinstalled, now OK, all happy here.:happybday