PDA

View Full Version : Acer Laptop won't log off

Muffin11
03-09-2009, 07:03 PM
It is me again with all the computer problems in the world. Daughters new lap top, 11 weeks old has starting playing up. Will not log off, says it is doing it but it doesnt, if you leave it on it the battery runs flat and when you go to start it up it comes up with the message ... did not shut down properly with the options of normal, safe mode etc. The log on screen comes up and says welcome for ages and then comes up with the desktop wallpaper but no icons or task bar. I looked at an earlier posting and they said to press F8 and this worked once when in safe mode. Any ideas?

Also 1st laptop an HP TX 1000 has been away for 11 weeks being repaired, has anyone else had this kind of service. It is through Noel Leemings under an extended warranty. I keep getting excuses about wrong parts arriving.

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Take it back and replace it or get a refund and get something else

wainuitech
03-09-2009, 07:28 PM
It is through Noel Leemings under an extended warranty. I keep getting excuses about wrong parts arriving. The extended warranty is NOT with HP, it will be with some third party repair place that does their repairs. The extended warranty only kicks in after the manufactures warranty expires.

Regarding the other laptop - Usually if you have problems you will be told to run the system back to factory default ( recovery DVD's) - if the problems still persists, then it would be fixed under warranty - a warranty does not cover software damage.

IF you got Noel Leeming to do it, they would send it away to the Acer agents, and it would be run back to factory defaults first, all data would be wiped. IF its found to be software - you may be charged.

IF you can get into safe mode - click start, type in eventvwr open it, look through the windows Logs on the left, look at applications and system - see if there are any errors relating to the time it wont shut down.

Also - click start, type in Reliability open the Reliability And Performance Monitor -under Reliability, on the right will be a graph - any faults will show as a red circle with a X, and the fault will be explained - look to see if what has failed.

pctek
03-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Also - click start, type in Reliability open the Reliability And Performance Monitor -under Reliability, .

Acer and Reliabilty? A contradiction........

wainuitech
03-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Its a very good chance its a software problem.

I have a customers ASUS - 3 weeks old doing the exact same thing.
Reinstalling tomorrow.

Edit; Possible cause -- They put Norton 360 on it, which the sales person at Hardley Normal advised to be the best -- good tuis ad !

Oh just for the record - my own Acer is gong on 7 years old - never missed a beat, apart from when I did something I should have known better not to do.;)

Blam
03-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Probably hanging drivers/programs. The eventlog as noted by WT should show you if there is.