PDA

View Full Version : US Wii console and/or games in NZ

FAB
03-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Hi all

Has anyone here brought back or had sent to them a US Wii console?

I am looking at picking up a Wii Fit bundle over there for my wife, but I read a post somewhere else that US Wii is set to 480p and won't work on a PAL TV? I would have thought since it would run through composite cables this wouldn't make a difference?
Actually I haven't checked out the rear of a Wii so not 100% they use composite out, I just assumed so.

Also the same post said US Wii games were region locked so will not work in other countries - again, has anyone else tried this?

We have a 110v-240v transformer so power should not be a problem.

Cheers and thanks for any advise.

Trev
03-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I would say most TVs bought in NZ over the last 10 years or so support both Pal and NTSC.
:)

Chilling_Silence
03-09-2009, 03:43 PM
The Wii's however are region-locked.

Long story short, it's possible, but NZ games wont work, so you're better off buying one in NZ...

Blam
03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
The Wii's however are region-locked.

Long story short, it's possible, but NZ games wont work, so you're better off buying one in NZ...

Does HomeBrew fix that?

Chilling_Silence
04-09-2009, 07:05 AM
HomeBrew is the name given to games that are used at home. Modding your Wii circumvents region / copy protection, however PF1 isnt the place to discuss that ;)

Blam
04-09-2009, 08:38 AM
HomeBrew is the name given to games that are used at home. Modding your Wii circumvents region / copy protection, however PF1 isnt the place to discuss that ;)

Don't have a Wii myself....but I've heard its quite fun....:D

No more discussing that now:xmouth::p

FAB
04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks for that advice guys - will get one locally if we decide to.

While I'm here at PF1 - I'm considering getting my kids a Nintendo DS each for the long trip across the US.

Does anyone know if the DS games are also region locked? I see if we get one from Walmart it comes with some games in a bundle, but if we got bought DS game in NZ would it load on a DS bought from the US?

I've resisted buying my kids any sort of hand held gaming device but I think with 16,000k over 3 weeks in a car I need some sort of sanity guarantee!

Cheers for any help.