PDA

View Full Version : Welland SunBright 3.5 HDD Enclosure - eSATA doesnt work

Term_X
02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Bought one of these enclosures that has a 1TB HDD Samsung Spinpoint HDD included.

Works fine with USB connection. The eSata connection has never worked. Not even a hint of any activity via eSata. Connected the enclosure to my HP Laptop running Windows 7RC and also my desktop, and nothing.

Is there a setting somewhere that i need to change in Windows for the eSata connection to be recognized?

I'm stumped :(

nofam
02-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Doesn't eSATA need an external power supply?

Apologies if you're doing this.

Blam
02-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Doesn't eSATA need an external power supply?

Apologies if you're doing this.

If he wasn't using a Power Supply the USB wouldn't work either...:p

Anything at all in device manager?(run>devmgmt.msc)

Blam

TeejayR
02-09-2009, 10:36 PM
You possibly need to go into your BIOS and switch your RAID option on - in my case I set the RAID option to IDE.

I then need to ensure that the External disk is powered on when I boot the machine so the BIOS will recognise the disk.

Trev

Term_X
06-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks, I'll nosey the bios and check the RAID setting. Cheers

Agent_24
06-09-2009, 03:07 PM
A friend of mine has one of these

The eSATA only works if it's the only cable plugged into the drive (not including the power adaptor)

If the USB cable is attached (even if it's not connected to the PC) the eSATA won't work.

I don't know why

jwil1
06-09-2009, 04:34 PM
A friend of mine has one of these

The eSATA only works if it's the only cable plugged into the drive (not including the power adaptor)

If the USB cable is attached (even if it's not connected to the PC) the eSATA won't work.

I don't know why

+1

Also, you need to plug in the drive before you boot the PC up (or reboot) to make eSata come up in Windows.