PDA

View Full Version : UTP Splitter

Geek4414
02-09-2009, 07:17 PM
I have tried couple of UTP splitter from one supplier a couple of years ago but they didn't work, luckily they were happy to take them back.

Just bought one from JayCar today and he assured me that they have never had any returned. I plugged it in and once again nothing happens, it didn't work.

The UTP splitter is connected to an existing cable via a coupler (F to F). The coupler does work, as we tried it without the splitter and the PC connected fine.

So, my question is, are there any limitations to UTP splitters, in terms of speed (100mbps vs Gigabit) and cable length etc? This is the third splitter I've tried, so it's not likely be another broken one?

somebody
02-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Are you putting splitters at both ends? Splitters are not the same as hubs/switches - they physically "split" the cable, so you use 4 strands for one socket, and another 4 for another.

What this means is you'll need a splitter at both ends of the cable, otherwise there'll be one "half" which isn't there.

decibel
02-09-2009, 10:47 PM
So, my question is, are there any limitations to UTP splitters, in terms of speed (100mbps vs Gigabit) and cable length etc?

The most you can hope to get is 100Mb/s (as you will be limited to 2 pairs.)

Geek4414
03-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Are you putting splitters at both ends? Splitters are not the same as hubs/switches - they physically "split" the cable, so you use 4 strands for one socket, and another 4 for another.

What this means is you'll need a splitter at both ends of the cable, otherwise there'll be one "half" which isn't there.

Oic, didn't realise that. I thought we can use a splitter like a tiny 2 port hub, duh.

We already have a jungle of cables behind the HTPC, so don't want to run another hub with another power brick behind there, thought a splitter would just do the job between the HTPC and the HDD recorder.

Looks like we have no choice but put in a powered gigabit switch, the only usb powered hub I can find on a quick google search is only 100Mbps, would like to have the HTPC connected at gigabit speed as that's where all the huge files are stored.

Geek4414
03-09-2009, 12:34 AM
The most you can hope to get is 100Mb/s (as you will be limited to 2 pairs.)

Thanks for that extra bit of info. I should google around and read up on this subject.

CYaBro
03-09-2009, 10:21 AM
As stated above, for a splitter to work you need a pair.

i.e. One will be at the PC where you want to connect the second device and the other will be at the patch panel/router end where you need two short patch leads from the splitter and into two ports on your router or switch.

There are also a few different types of splitters so you need to make sure you get the correct ones for what you want to do.