PDA

View Full Version : Laptop keeps blowing power supplies

neepc
02-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Greetings!

My daughter's HP Compaq Presario keeps burning out 18.5V 3.5A power supplies. It's out of warranty (Noel Leeming) and the repair shop says it is a common problem with this model and PS.

This is the 4th PS it has gone through in 18 months. Can anyone recommend an economical alternative to buying yet another $100 PS that will burn out in a couple of months?

Many thanks!

IAN

bob_doe_nz
02-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Whats the model?

neepc
02-09-2009, 04:47 PM
It's a Presario C731TU.

neepc
02-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Can I just get HP's 6.5A version and fit a new tip on it?

pctek
02-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Compaq Presario keeps burning out 18.5V 3.5A power supplies. (Noel Leeming) repair shop says it is a common problem with this model and PS.

This is the 4th PS it has gone through in 18 months.
So under the CGA as a major problem you are entitled to a refund.
Ditch it - its cheap and nasty.

Agent_24
02-09-2009, 05:31 PM
If it's a common problem with that particular PSU then they should have figured out the problem and be able to take steps to repair and update the design to stop it from happening.

Maybe a generic replacement PSU will be better? (at least it would be made by someone else)

Trev
02-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Read the Consumers Guarantees Act. You are still covered after the warranty has expired.
http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/cga/
:)

SolMiester
02-09-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm with Trev, 4 power supplies is not a viable product......CGA for sure....

neepc
02-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for your suggestions re the CGA, and it would indeed be great to get Noel Leeming to sort this out. However...

1st blown PS after about 9 months: Took it back to Noel Leeming. Many phone calls between them and HP and me, and I finally got a replacement. A hellish process.

2nd blown PS after about 15 months: Out of 1 year warranty so I got a 2nd hand after-market replacement from local PC repair shop. They advised me that these laptops were prone to blowing the PS and that the laptop would require expensive repair if it kept happening.

3rd blown PS after about 16 months: Got a brand new after-market replacement from local PC repair shop (less cost of 2nd hand one). PC repair shop re-iterated concerns about dodgy laptop.

4th blown PS after about 18 months: PC repair shop won't replace PS due to previous warnings. Noel Leeming wash hands because of after-market parts.

I know I should have hounded Noel after the 2nd PS blew, but now all I want is to get a higher-rated PS that will last. Obviously 4.5A is not enough - is there another PS that might so the job, generic or HP ?

Many thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
02-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Go back, and either get a refund. Or replace it with something better / a different brand / model. And the same price. Too bad what NL or HP say

Agent_24
03-09-2009, 01:24 AM
They advised me that these laptops were prone to blowing the PS and that the laptop would require expensive repair if it kept happening.

Then that is the problem, throwing new power supplies at it won't make it go away.

Of course, we do not know the nature of the fault and why it causes the PSU to blow, nor do we know what fails in the PSU...

If the laptop is just taking more power than the PSU can handle then the PSU is getting strained and a higher capacity one will fix it.

However this doesn't sound like it is the case and a higher current PSU will probably just blow up too but possibly in a more extravagant way...

Query the PC repair shop as to what exactly is the fault with the laptop, that would be interesting to know... perhaps you can get HP to fix it, Noel Leeming's excuse of aftermarket parts is pretty stupid if it's the laptop itself at fault

Trev
03-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Your contract when you buy something is with you and the dealer, not between you and the dealer and supplier. Take it back to NL and mention the disputes tribunal to them if you get no results.
:)

pctek
03-09-2009, 08:35 AM
4th blown PS after about 18 months: Noel Leeming wash hands because of after-market parts.

Forget it. Go back and ask for a refund or a different laptop. ASUS for instance.
Talk to the manager, not sales staff. Take the CGA with you - print it out.
I've found the managers cooperate very quickly once you bring that up.