PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for wireless adaptor

hammer
01-09-2009, 01:52 PM
toshiba satellite m50 on XP home.......... wireless card causing problems..
thought i would replace it with an adaptor in the card bus slot..but have had no experience with their reliabilty and ease of useage???

this is the cheapest option and it is for a clutz who would probably bump and break a usb (recommended by most) connection if it had to be on laptop all the time..

not sure what to get...
looked at TPLink WN510G but someone reckoned not reliable???

thanks barb

razzarphenix
01-09-2009, 02:49 PM
What is the problems with the existing card?

Heres a link (http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2008/03/08/installing-internal-wireless-card-into-older-laptop/) to installing an internal wireless card pretty easy as long as the antenna connectors exist.

Pretty sure the m50 uses an Intel 220 mini-pci wireless so you should be able to replace it with another mini-pci? say $40 on trademe.

hammer
01-09-2009, 05:29 PM
cant even start laptop with wireless card in it... take it out and everything sweet...

have tried updating drivers with ati catalyst drivers and omega drivers but nothing works.. only starts properly when i take the wireless card out...

looked to buy new card and they were all way expensive..
didnt have much of a look round trade me.(had a boys look!)..but thought if it is all about not right drivers which it sorta seems.. i will still have same problem... thought with the external adaptor i would overcome that..

razzarphenix
01-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Theres a couple of 802.11G ones on trademe (watch out for 11B you dont want those).

However found this (http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/product_info.php?products_id=13484) $39 for a internal wireless card is a good price and its 802.11(pre)N as well so even better.

hammer
02-09-2009, 12:23 AM
bit scared another card will still have the driver problems but eally appreciate your input.. maybe i should try a new card

Blam
02-09-2009, 12:30 AM
How about a PCMIA or Express card one(if your laptop supports it)?

They'll be certainly more reliable that USB, and don't stick out as much

Blam

hammer
02-09-2009, 02:49 PM
hate to be rude blam6 but my original question was "would the particular pcmia card be ok to use .. the seller said it may not be successful and i was asking about others experience with it"..
i am wary about a card cos i just couldnt get the right drivers anywhere and i spent the whole damn wekend on it...
have you experience with pcmia card adaptors..??

razzarphenix
02-09-2009, 10:17 PM
hate to be rude blam6 but my original question was "would the particular pcmia card be ok to use .. the seller said it may not be successful and i was asking about others experience with it"..
i am wary about a card cos i just couldnt get the right drivers anywhere and i spent the whole damn wekend on it...
have you experience with pcmia card adaptors..??

Hammer the driver wont be a problem. The card I recommended you can obtain the driver from here. (http://www.tp-link.com/english/soft/200882385620.zip)

Regarding your question about pcmia cards its not so much what type of card (usb, pcmia, internal) or even necessarily the brand name, its more the chipset that comes into it.

So going back to your question about the TP-LINK WN510G pcmia card it also uses an Atheros chipset (the AR2413) the card I recommended supports a newer standard while backwards compatible so I recommend it over the pcmia one however here is some reviews (http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000FO6QXQ/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1) of the one you were looking into people seem to think its okay!

hammer
03-09-2009, 01:05 AM
thanks for your advise .. decided to get the card you reccomended .. ordered it today... thanks again...
i bow to your superior knowledge in this matter...and am very grateful for the time you put in finding info for me...

THANKS

Agent_24
03-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Were the problems with the internal card stopping just windows from loading or the whole computer from starting properly?

If it was just windows, a removal of the drivers and re-installation may be all that is needed

ATi catalyst and Omega drivers have nothing to do with WiFi, they are for your video card....