PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Complaints

a walker
01-09-2009, 09:20 AM
What is the commission called where you can make broadband complaints. I remember reading in a magazine a while ago about there being a complaints board and not many people putting in complaints, I know I'm struggling to find it.

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2009, 09:24 AM
commerce?

a walker
01-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I thought there was an independent body set up to specifically deal with broadband complaints.

somebody
01-09-2009, 09:54 AM
These people: http://www.tdr.org.nz/

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2009, 09:57 AM
IOG ? (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10594316) as stated here?

a walker
01-09-2009, 10:12 AM
These people: http://www.tdr.org.nz/

That's the one. Cheers.

somebody
01-09-2009, 10:44 AM
IOG ? (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10594316) as stated here?

The IOG is for issues around operational separation - i.e. Telecom breaching its "Chinese walls" for example.

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Why not post here about your issues you've been having, as they reckon that 90% of the issues submitted to TDR do not need to be and end up being sent straight back to the ISP for resolution anyway.

We were able to contact them after weeks of debating with TelstraClear, and how the Exchange in the central Auckland CBD was overloaded and unfit for VoIP as had been promised, then they expected us to pay big $$$... However for most things you can simply ask to speak to the Team Leader of the helpdesk if things are not being resolved. That's what TDR do 90% of the time ..

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Why not post here about your issues you've been having, as they reckon that 90% of the issues submitted to TDR do not need to be and end up being sent straight back to the ISP for resolution anyway.

We were able to contact them after weeks of debating with TelstraClear, and how the Exchange in the central Auckland CBD was overloaded and unfit for VoIP as had been promised, then they expected us to pay big $$$... However for most things you can simply ask to speak to the Team Leader of the helpdesk if things are not being resolved. That's what TDR do 90% of the time ..

a walker
01-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Here is a copy of the email I sent TDR:

We've been having issues with our broadband ever since we had it connected, I'm pretty sure it was November 2007. For a while we were having issues and I wasn't recording the details because I didn't realise it was giong to become such a major issue.

Generally the process is I talked to Level 1 support who try and make me go through a whole series of troubleshooting steps (you can understand my frustration after the amount of calls I've made), from there end it always looks like an authentication issue and they want to change my password, ensure I haven't changed it in the modem, do a hard reset on the modem, etc, etc.

This never brings any success so it goes to Advanced Broadband, at times this departments seems to be able to have the issue resolved within the same day, other times they have to send Alcatel to the exchange to service the hardware. I have been told several times that our port has been changed, that the card has been replaced and one that did "major" repairs, yet I have the exact same issue still consistently happening.

There was a period where Level 1 support could not see the notes on previous complaints (other support people say this can't happen, but it defiantly has) so I asked someone to collate all the issues into 1 case number, so there should be a case number which has quite extensive notes regarding these issues.

Advanced Broadband have been sympathetic with my complaints but can offer no other support other than being a middle man between me the customer and the people doing the repairs. All I know is Telecom offer a service, and this service is constantly unreliable. All I want is a stable connection that doesn't require hours of phone calls and days of down time.

It seems to me that extensive repairs on the hardware at the exchange need to happen and it's a shame that I have to go to an independent body to get some action.

Details of each case and contact information are below:

05/02/08 - Case Number 156 840 40 - Internet dropped out - Authentication issue
06/02/08 - Case Number 156 840 40 - Advanced broadband brought in to fix issue
11/05/08 - Case Number 155 080 37 - Internet dropped out - Authentication issue
26/05/08 - Case Number 165 039 82 - Internet dropped out - Authentication issue
29/05/08 - Was told by the person who worked on the hardware at the exchange that they have now replaced the card at the exchange with a new one and the issue won't happen again
05/06/08 - Didn't get a case number, after complaint made internet just started working again
03/07/08 - Case Number 168 656 28 - Internet dropped out - Authentication issue
04/07/08 - Outage at the exchange
11/09/08 - Case Number 168 656 28 - Internet dropped out - Authentication issue
05/10/08 - Case Number 168 935 46 - Internet dropped out - Authentication issue
24/03/09 - Case Number 183 068 34 - Internet dropped out - Authentication issue
20/05/09 - Case Number 185 772 19 - Internet dropped out - Authentication issue
05/06/09 - Case Number 186 546 76 - Internet dropped out - Authentication issue
01/09/09 - Case Number 186 546 76 - Internet dropped out - Authentication issue

Feel free to ask me any further questions.

somebody
01-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Presumably you've tried replacing your modem/router just to prove to Telecom that it's not an issue at your end?

How far away from the exchange or cabinet are you? (noting that in another thread, you said you lived in a small village on the West Coast)

a walker
01-09-2009, 12:50 PM
This problem doesn't relate to my home (as I have no internet there).

I currently use a Linksys, when troubleshooting I have tried 2 of the modems from Telecom we have and they have also given the same result, so it won't be the router/modem.

I'm not to sure exactly how far I sit from the exchange.

somebody
01-09-2009, 01:01 PM
This problem doesn't relate to my home (as I have no internet there).

I currently use a Linksys, when troubleshooting I have tried 2 of the modems from Telecom we have and they have also given the same result, so it won't be the router/modem.

I'm not to sure exactly how far I sit from the exchange.

Oh ok. Go here: http://www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps

Search for the address where you've been having these internet issues, and see where the nearest exchange is on the map.

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Fair enough, I don't blame you for going to TDR ;)

Well done for keeping records as you have! Post back with how you get on ...

a walker
01-09-2009, 01:11 PM
my exchange is the Waimangaroa (which I already knew) I'm just not exactly sure how far away I am, towards the outer fringe though.

The distance is not the issue though as people living right near the exchange have had issues (not sure if they've had as many as me though).

PENTIUM
01-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Read the fine print on your contract. Why did you not tell us where you are at the beginning? It would have been helpful.