PDA

View Full Version : Assembling a Computer.

Mister
01-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Hello all, again.

So I ordered my computer parts, and they are due tomorow, but I am very 'scared' to attempt to put it together, as it is my first build. Is there any tips, or things I should know before assembling? I've been browsing for guides all day, but I don't think I trust them all.

:thanks

Oh, and if it helps, these are my parts.

Aerocool Vx-9 ATX Mid Tower Case, Black

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHz, 1333MHz FSB, Socket 775, Retail pack with fan, Low Power

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS Hard Disk Drive, 500GB, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, SATA-2

LG Electronics GH22NS50 DVD Writer, DVD 16R/22W/8RW, CD 48R/48W/32RW, Internal, SATA, Black, OEM

OCZ Platinum Kit, 2x2GB, DDR3-1600, PC3-12800, CL7, DIMM, XTC Heat Spreader

Asus M4A785TD-M EVO Motherboard, Socket AM3, 4xDIMM, DDR3, PCIe-16, 2xPCI, 1xPCIe-1, 12xUSB2, Firewire, Audio, Video, 1xATA, 6xSATA, RAID, M-ATX, DVI, HDMI

Gigabyte GV-N26OC-896I Video Card, GeForce GTX 260, 896MB, DDR3, PCIe-16, DVI, SLI ready, HDMI

ST Lab M-114 Sound card, 4.0, PCI

Genius KB110 Keyboard, USB, Black

ViewSonic VX1940w Monitor, 19" LCD, 1680x1050, DVI, Black

Genius GM56PCI-LA Modem, 56K, PCI

D-Link DFE-528TX Ethernet Adapter, 10/100 Mbps, PCI

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus, 460W ATX PSU, SLI Ready, Black

xmojo1
01-09-2009, 01:36 AM
When you've assembled all the parts and are ready for first boot, don't put the case sides on just yet, first boot rarely goes trouble-free :D

I remember the time 2 years ago when I was in your position: constructing a PC with brand-new parts. And would you believe it, the computer didn't start up at all. In the end, it came down to a dead motherboard, even though it was brand-new :horrified.

Once you've got the PC working and the OS installed, and all the drivers downloaded and installed and your essential programs and software installed, burn an image of your system (if you have that capability) so that you can restore it all shiny and ready to go if your system crashes down the line.

xmojo1
01-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Just noticed looking at your parts list, you've listed a discreet PCI network card, but doesn't your motherboard have an onboard Gigabit network adapter? I would've thought just about most current-day mobos have built-in gigabit network adapters now. Your mobo seems to have just about every other onboard connector plus the kitchen sink, so I find it unusual if there is no onboard network port.

pcuser42
01-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Get an anti-static wrist strap, or at least ground yourself by touching an unpainted metal part of the case.

pctek
01-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Plug the computer in and turn off the power.
Have a work surface by it, touching the case earths you.

Put the CPU and RAM in the board before you put it in the case.

READ the manuals. The CPU pamphlet shows how to do it.
Then the motherboard manual shows all the connectors from the case.

Line the risers for the case up with the holes in the motherboard, check it and put the backplate in then put the board in.

The rest is fairly easy.
When you have finished test it. If its all good, tidy up the cabling with as many cable ties as you need. Tuck them to the side, in drive bays wherever you have to - keep them away from/off the board. The idea is neatness and good airflow.

Oh and don't force anything, if it doesn't go in easy then you have it the wrong way round.

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Umm a socket 775 CPU

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHz, 1333MHz FSB, Socket 775, Retail pack with fan, Low Power

Wont fit on an AM3 mobo. Asus M4A785TD-M EVO Motherboard, Socket AM3, 4xDIMM, DDR3, PCIe-16, 2xPCI, 1xPCIe-1, 12xUSB2, Firewire, Audio, Video, 1xATA, 6xSATA, RAID, M-ATX, DVI, HDMI

So, you'll have to replace the CPU or the mobo.

pcuser42
01-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Umm a socket 775 CPU wont fit on an AM3 mobo. So, you'll have to replace the CPU or the mobo.

Good spot :thumbs:

Strommer
01-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Plug the computer in and turn off the power.
Have a work surface by it, touching the case earths you.

Put the CPU and RAM in the board before you put it in the case.

Putting the CPU on the mobo can be nerve-wracking since it usually takes quite a force pressing down on the lever. Just be sure your hand does not slide off when pushing.

Your CPU may already have thermal paste applied but if not, follow the instructions and do not apply too much.

Re: the advice to plug in the pc - with the power turned off at the wall and on the ps - I know this is standard advice for preventing static discharges but I have never felt comfortable keeping the ps plugged into the mains. Most of NZ at this time of year and most homes are not dry enough to produce a lot of static electricity but even so I wrist strap is a good idea or at the very least be sure to touch a bare metal part of the case before you fiddle with anything else.

At first power-up, check that the CPU fan is working.

Anyone else think that the PS does not have enough grunt?

Erayd
01-09-2009, 09:39 AM
So, you'll have to replace the CPU or the mobo.Ouch, well spotted there Speedy!

Mister, I'd recommend you replace the motherboard rather than downgrading the CPU - AMD ones are a tad gutless at the moment, although it is of course entirely up to you...

wratterus
01-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Just saw that myself...

Asus M4A785TD-M EVO Motherboard, Socket AM3, 4xDIMM, DDR3, PCIe-16, 2xPCI, 1xPCIe-1, 12xUSB2, Firewire, Audio, Video, 1xATA, 6xSATA, RAID, M-ATX, DVI, HDMI

and

Will in no way work together.

You'd either want to change to a DDR3 Intel socket 775 board, or if that's too dear you'll have to get a DDR2 board and get different RAM too. Stick with Intel though. :)

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=9959

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=6668

There are two Asus DDR3 socket 775 boards, both pretty average.

I've done a few builds with this board and found it to be nice to work with, I'd pick it over any of the Asus DDR3/socket 775 boards. They both have the same warranty and are of similar quality.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=8230

Also a 460w PSU for that lot is rather on the small side. I'd recommend going up to at least the 550w, those CoolerMaster PSUs aren't the best, but they are good value for money and have a decent warranty. I've used the 550w in a lot of builds and have had no issues with it at all (yet).

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=8573

Mister
01-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Ah, damn. I see what you guys mean. I havn't recieved the products yet, but I've emailed ASCENT about it, and I'm still waiting for the reply. Thanks for spotting that out guys, lol.

Mister
01-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Ah I just found out, the Motherboard has been sent, which means I can replace the Processor now, if I'm fast. Or, I can cancel both, and order new ones.

Erayd
01-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Ah I just found out, the Motherboard has been sent, which means I can replace the Processor now, if I'm fast. Or, I can cancel both, and order new ones.
They may let you swap the motherboard anyway, if they're feeling nice - it's worth a shot. Don't count on it though.

Mister
01-09-2009, 12:24 PM
They may let you swap the motherboard anyway, if they're feeling nice - it's worth a shot. Don't count on it though.

Yeah, it's got the list of my ordered items, and it just has "Cancel this item" If it hasn't been sent, and "return this item" if it has. So I just have to wait for it to arrive, and then, I can return it.

Just means I'll have to wait longer.

Erayd
01-09-2009, 12:30 PM
They may do advance shipping of the replacement (i.e. send the replacement before they get the old one back) - they have done that for me before on faulty items.

Mister
01-09-2009, 12:30 PM
They may do advance shipping of the replacement (i.e. send the replacement before they get the old one back) - they have done that for me before on faulty items.

Faulty, not stupid choices :P

Ferg
01-09-2009, 12:34 PM
At least you went through Ascent, they are really helpful, and if the products are unopened you should be able to return them with no penalty other than return courier fees. The return process has the option "I ordered the wrong part".

PCTeks advice is spot -on , but she forgot the first rules of newbie computer assembly.

1) Purchase , chill and open bottle of Jack Daniels. Consume sufficient quantity to stop hands shaking. Repeat as necessary.

Mister
01-09-2009, 12:42 PM
1) Purchase , chill and open bottle of Jack Daniels. Consume sufficient quantity to stop hands shaking. Repeat as necessary.

Hahaha. yeah. I must admit, I really am impressed with Ascent, I've already returned 3 products, just awaiting them to email the details back. And I choose to be refunded with credit. So I can buy the new motherboard easily.

I also found out I'll have around $400 to spend.

Erayd
01-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Three!!! Yikes...

Mister
01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=380475

Looks fine to me. And leaves me enough for a new PS

pctek
01-09-2009, 03:06 PM
f newbie computer assembly.

Not likely.
Good way to do something stupid and terminal to the hardware.

hueybot3000
01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Not likely.
Good way to do something stupid and terminal to the hardware.

Ive consumed alcohol while playing with computer parts, never had a problem. Its when im completely sober and thinking its all to easy that I do something stupid

Sting Ray
01-09-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm thinking of Assembling a computer, If you haven't already searched in wikipedia look at this http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Build_A_Computer

plod
01-09-2009, 08:12 PM
I would be a little disapointed that Ascent never queried your order. Surely if the mistake of mismatched parts was picked up on the forum, it should have been picked up by Ascent.

wratterus
01-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I would be a little disapointed that Ascent never queried your order. Surely if the mistake of mismatched parts was picked up on the forum, it should have been picked up by Ascent.

They said some time ago they were no longer responsible for this. Too many people were ordering incompatible parts and it was taking up too much of their time sorting it out.

Mister
01-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Nope. I got told nothing from Ascent about the UncompatiI have kept every E-Mail, since I first ordered, and I recieved a phonecall just to make sure the Credit card is legit, and what not.

Sherman
01-09-2009, 09:00 PM
You know, another option would have been to get an AMD Phenom II X4 945, and keep the same memory and motherboard. Looks like the 940/945 is faster than the Q8200, and has hardware virtualization support if you want to run virtual machines (or XP mode in windows 7...)

plod
01-09-2009, 09:04 PM
They said some time ago they were no longer responsible for this. Too many people were ordering incompatible parts and it was taking up too much of their time sorting it out.
Its all about customer service, having to do returns would be more time consuming then a quick email... After all, customer service and knowledge is the reason real computer shops are recommended over toaster shops

Mister
01-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm thinking of Assembling a computer, If you haven't already searched in wikipedia look at this http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Build_A_Computer

Thanks, thats a really good guide.

Chris09
01-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I used/use The Idiotís Ultimate Guide to Build Your Own PC (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-idiots-guide-to-building-your-own-computer/)

PDF file. Extremely handy to have with you on ya stick. Basic. Simple. Easy.

wainuitech
01-09-2009, 11:31 PM
I would be a little disapointed that Ascent never queried your order. Surely if the mistake of mismatched parts was picked up on the forum, it should have been picked up by Ascent. Its not really Ascents fault.
IF they were asked were all the parts compatible and they said yes then it would be.

I'm looking at from a view of building PC's all the time, not just a single one of.

I regularly order parts from a supplier that no way would they match - simply because some are stock, some are for jobs, others because the price is right on the day.

Take today - I ordered a board, has DDR2 memory slots - yet I also ordered 4 x 1GB DDR2, + 3 x 1 GB DDR 2 x 250Gb HDD's, and a few other bits and bobs - the RAM & drives are NOT for that board, its for other jobs.

If there is Single order from a place like ascent it may be considered - then whos to say the CPU was not meant for that board.

ScreaminGherkin
01-09-2009, 11:33 PM
You know, another option would have been to get an AMD Phenom II X4 945, and keep the same memory and motherboard. Looks like the 940/945 is faster than the Q8200, and has hardware virtualization support if you want to run virtual machines (or XP mode in windows 7...)

This man is intelligent.

whellington
01-09-2009, 11:36 PM
If your going to buy a whole new system i suggest getting an i7 system. LGA 775 socket is practically dead and i don't think intel is going to be making anymore with that socket, so getting an i7 is a better choice as it is more future proof. The i7 920 beats all the high end quads in benchmark performance at stock speeds, and its also cheaper.

There aren't any benefits by getting DDR3 RAM instead of DDR2 unless you get an i7/i5 CPU or a extreme overclocker. If your on a tight budget, i suggest getting an AMD CPU because they are cheaper than most intels and perform just as good. Phenom II X4 945, 3.0GHz, Socket AM3 is only $13 more than the Q8200 and have a higher clock speed.

qazwsxokmijn
01-09-2009, 11:39 PM
775 is not dead....not yet anyway. The Q9xxx series are still great CPUs. Coming down in price too.

whellington
01-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Intel Core 2 Duo Q9450 @ 3.4GHz
Quoting your sig :P
Lol :D

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Is 1156 i5 ? And 1366 is i7 right? And i5 is later than i7?

plod
02-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Its not really Ascents fault.
IF they were asked were all the parts compatible and they said yes then it would be.

I'm looking at from a view of building PC's all the time, not just a single one of.

I regularly order parts from a supplier that no way would they match - simply because some are stock, some are for jobs, others because the price is right on the day.

Take today - I ordered a board, has DDR2 memory slots - yet I also ordered 4 x 1GB DDR2, + 3 x 1 GB DDR 2 x 250Gb HDD's, and a few other bits and bobs - the RAM & drives are NOT for that board, its for other jobs.

If there is Single order from a place like ascent it may be considered - then whos to say the CPU was not meant for that board.
I understand your view point, but you are buying as a PC builder and not at the retail level. I'm not saying its Ascent's fault, just expected more from them. Its all about the service and going the extra mile before hand instead of going 3 miles afterwards.

Agent_24
02-09-2009, 12:27 AM
When putting the motherboard in the case, make sure any metal tabs on the I/O shield go on TOP of the USB ports etc and not IN them.

Getting metal stuck in a port will probably let the magic smoke out

Mister
02-09-2009, 12:31 AM
I understand your view point, but you are buying as a PC builder and not at the retail level. I'm not saying its Ascent's fault, just expected more from them. Its all about the service and going the extra mile before hand instead of going 3 miles afterwards.

I'm not trying to blame ascent for my bad mistake, and I take all the blame.

But, if this system was in place, people ordering off the system builder, could have their parts checked, and the people that order seperate parts, don't have the parts checked, if that makes sense.

Again, I'm not trying to push the blame to Ascent though :waughh:

Blam
02-09-2009, 12:32 AM
When I built my first PC-I read all the manuals from top to bottom.

That way, you'll be more aware of what the problem is if something *does* go wrong.

Good luck!:)

qazwsxokmijn
02-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Is 1156 i5 ? And 1366 is i7 right? And i5 is later than i7?
There are a couple of LGA1156 i7s.

Speedy Gonzales
02-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Ah ok then. Ta for the info

Sweep
02-09-2009, 12:53 AM
When putting the motherboard in the case, make sure any metal tabs on the I/O shield go on TOP of the USB ports etc and not IN them.

Getting metal stuck in a port will probably let the magic smoke out

And here was me thinking that computers run on steam.
Your advice correct BTW.

If all computers ran on steam you may end up with a rather large payment to make.

Mister
02-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks for all these tips, lol.

I've basicly only got one chance to get this right :S

Strommer
02-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Quoting your sig :P
Lol :D

Overclocking to the max :nerd:

gary67
02-09-2009, 07:43 AM
I am about to build another socket 775 machine, my budget is way too tight to go for an i7 or even an i5 at this point and since I don't game ever who needs to go that far

SolMiester
02-09-2009, 11:15 AM

Overclocking to the max :nerd:

Ah yes, I see it now...LOL, Core 2 Quad is the correct term!...

qazwsxokmijn
02-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Ah lol I just noticed that!!

Mister
02-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Hey guys, all pieces except Motherboard and the Processor arrived today.. It's wierd tpying on a keybaord after I've typed on a Laptop my whole life.

Oh weird, just found out they cancelled my processor for some reason...

Mister
03-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Heh, all my friends are doubting I can do it, they all think it's a silly idea... Damn them and their premade computers :(

pcuser42
03-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Ignore them. They're all wrong. :p

You'll have the last laugh when yours:

Doesn't come with Norton
Has no bloatware
Comes out cheaper
Runs faster for longer

wainuitech
03-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Second that - often see "custom built" PC's with the same spec's as a "name Brand" yet the custom built out performs every time.

ScreaminGherkin
03-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Once you've built a computer yourself you'll think prebuilt computers are a "silly idea"

Agent_24
03-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Don't worry, Just read the manuals and make sure you understand what you have to do. If you don't, ask us.

Take your time when building it (you're not going to get a prize for going fast) and re-check before you plug the power cord in.

Mister
03-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Yah... T'is what I thought.

Just isntalled the motherboard, no sweet. No errors at all, all slipped in perfectly, ASUS has a terrible instruction manual, Imo, so all the cords will take me while to figure out.

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2009, 09:00 PM
What cords?? If ASUS didnt make the case, its not their prob. Just make sure (if theres spacers) that you put them in. If theyre not already in the case

Mister
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
What cords?? If ASUS didnt make the case, its not their prob. Just make sure (if theres spacers) that you put them in. If theyre not already in the case

The top of the case USB ports and Audio ports (Not the motherboard ones)

Mister
03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Heres a issue... Whiletrying to install the Graphics card, I put it on the right slow thing, Pushed down, the the edge of the card and my case did not fit. So the card can only go in on a tilt. The Edge of the card has like a pit of metal stick out, which collides with the case, where theere is a hole where it's supose to go, if that makes any sense.

gary67
03-09-2009, 10:12 PM
You better post some pics on here

Mister
03-09-2009, 10:30 PM
You better post some pics on here

Sister took the digital Camera to her camp, will provide photo's tomorow.

But, after using one of those Stable Ruler Thingy Mah Bobs, it's actually perfectly straight, It's just weird how the bit that connects to the PCIEx16 slot looks a bit uneven.

Agent_24
03-09-2009, 10:47 PM
The metal bracket on most cards is slightly bent on the end to allow it to sit more firmly in the case.

Yes, there is a hole in the case below the slot cover (you can see them here http://icrontic.com/draco/images/articles/silverstone_tj05_pc_case/ws_pci_slots.jpg) in the piece of metal that the motherboard standoffs screw into.

If the motherboard is slightly too far to the edge of the case you might get problems putting the cards in. The center of the standoffs should line up with the center of the holes in the motherboard.

By the way, do you have the CPU installed yet? just asking since you said in a previous post the order was canceled, and it's much easier putting the CPU into the board and then putting the board into the case, than the other way around

feersumendjinn
03-09-2009, 10:53 PM
You may need to bend the tab (slightly) on the video card backplate to get it to line up with the little slot in the case backplane.
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/videocard1251971488.png
Also I have had problems before with the motherboard not lining up exactly with the case back-plane and have had to shim the motherboard slightly with (small) washers between the standoffs and the mobo screw-holes, so the cards would sit fully in the slots.

Mister
03-09-2009, 11:00 PM
The metal bracket on most cards is slightly bent on the end to allow it to sit more firmly in the case.

Yes, there is a hole in the case below the slot cover (you can see them here http://icrontic.com/draco/images/articles/silverstone_tj05_pc_case/ws_pci_slots.jpg) in the piece of metal that the motherboard standoffs screw into.

If the motherboard is slightly too far to the edge of the case you might get problems putting the cards in. The center of the standoffs should line up with the center of the holes in the motherboard.

By the way, do you have the CPU installed yet? just asking since you said in a previous post the order was canceled, and it's much easier putting the CPU into the board and then putting the board into the case, than the other way around

No, No CPU... Not yet, now I look like a bigger idiot lol.

Ah on that picutre you linked, what's holding it down, is the tab at the top.

:thanks

Mister
03-09-2009, 11:05 PM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/deadmeat_2008/videocard1251971488.png?t=1251972293

Thats the problem

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Have you installed the mobo in the case? No point installing the mobo and everything else in the case, if you didnt put the CPU on the mobo first. It can be one of the hardest things to install

Mister
03-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Have you installed the mobo in the case? No point installing the mobo and everything else in the case. without installing the CPU first. Its one of the hardest things to install (if you didnt install it before you put the mobo in the case.

Motherboard, only. Just kinda been looking over parts, seeing they fit. I can easily remove the Motherboard I only used one loose screw.

whellington
04-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Installing the video card is like the easiest thing when it comes to assembling a computer. Just slot the card in the slot till it 'clicks' and make sure it fits the case expansion slots

Mister
04-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Installing the video card is like the easiest thing when it comes to assembling a computer. Just slot the card in the slot till it 'clicks' and make sure it fits the case expansion slots

Bit more complicated when one of the tabs meets the Case and stop it going down :thumbs:

whellington
04-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Bit more complicated when one of the tabs meets the Case and stop it going down :thumbs:

Are you sure you put the board the right way? And taken the case expansion slot out properly?

Mister
04-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Ok after finding out my sister isn't home for a few weeks, I took some photos, using an inbuilt Laptop camera... A few akward positions later, I came up with ..

(PS. it's very hard to aim a laptop camera into a object without getting in the way and actually being able to see what you're trying to capture.)

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/deadmeat_2008/Snapshot_20090903.jpg?t=1251978675

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/deadmeat_2008/Snapshot_20090903_2.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/deadmeat_2008/Snapshot_20090903_3.jpg?t=1251978773

Sorry bout bad quaility.. But best I can do..

feersumendjinn
04-09-2009, 02:41 AM
If you haven't fitted any standoff screws/fittings
http://www.pcguide.com/byop/byop_UsingaCasefromanExistingSystem.htm
http://www.pcguide.com/byop/byop_MatchingStandoffsandScrewstoMainboardHoles.ht m
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/180px-Toennchen_IMGP5029_wp.jpg
between the case and the motherboard you will have the videocard not go right into the slot (the top tab will stop you pushing it right in) and nothing will line up (hard to tell from the photo (do you have a cellphone camera?), but it looks like that is the problem ). Be very carefull with the motherboard, if this is what you've done, as it's very easy to damage the fine copper traces if you're holding it with only one loose screw as you say.

toonttm
04-09-2009, 04:24 AM
3rd guy said: get a static strip! do it!! all components niow have built in diodes to beat static but don't f with it..get a clean work area and get a static strip or it will all end in tears....lol, you have been warned

Agent_24
04-09-2009, 09:12 AM
No, No CPU... Not yet, now I look like a bigger idiot lol.

I've done worse (read: expensive) things than that when I first started down the custom PC road, but I've learnt from it the hard way and I know a great deal more than I did because of it. Which if I say so myself is a good thing.

But I see now from your photos what the problem is with the card that it won't go in.

I have had this problem myself on some cases, where there were rivets or screws or other things poking out in that location, basically you just have to turn the card through about 8 different dimensions (ok it's not that bad) but it does require a bit more thinking and maneuvering than just pushing it in straight down as usual

Mister
04-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I've done worse (read: expensive) things than that when I first started down the custom PC road, but I've learnt from it the hard way and I know a great deal more than I did because of it. Which if I say so myself is a good thing.

But I see now from your photos what the problem is with the card that it won't go in.

I have had this problem myself on some cases, where there were rivets or screws or other things poking out in that location, basically you just have to turn the card through about 8 different dimensions (ok it's not that bad) but it does require a bit more thinking and maneuvering than just pushing it in straight down as usual

Hmm would you mind elaborating on putting the card through different Dimensions, I still see no other way it can go in, because it can only go in the PCIEx16 slot.

Agent_24
04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
You'll just have to try different angles, maybe try putting the card on a slant leaning toward the top of the case until you get it under that tab then straighten it up

Mister
04-09-2009, 04:56 PM
You'll just have to try different angles, maybe try putting the card on a slant leaning toward the top of the case until you get it under that tab then straighten it up

I see, but wait till you see the new photos.

The new photos..

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/deadmeat_2008/100_3506.jpg?t=1252036268

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/deadmeat_2008/100_3508.jpg?t=1252036545

Ugh such low quality.. And I just realised a bad colour choice for font...

wainuitech
04-09-2009, 05:33 PM
This may sound silly, but its not meant to -- Have a close look at the "lip /Bar" does it look like it can move or come off - seen plenty of times you simply press/pull/ slide something and an obstruction will move / swing out of the way.

One of my workshop Cases is similar, move the restriction sideways and Dhurrrr open slots. :D

Mister
04-09-2009, 05:33 PM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/deadmeat_2008/100_3512.jpg?t=1252038825

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/deadmeat_2008/100_3513.jpg?t=1252038786

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/deadmeat_2008/100_3514.jpg?t=1252038793

qazwsxokmijn
04-09-2009, 05:41 PM
It looks pretty alright to me. What's wrong with it sitting in the slot?

And that 'tab' is very important - you place a screw in the hole to prevent the card from sagging like an old man's.....

Better not finish the above sentence.

Mister
04-09-2009, 05:43 PM
It looks pretty alright to me. What's wrong with it sitting in the slot?

And that 'tab' is very important - you place a screw in the hole to prevent the card from sagging like an old man's.....

Better not finish the above sentence.

It's on the slightest tilt, and its making me worried. I'll try find another GTX260 user, see what theirs is like.

Old Man's... Sock?

Sweep
04-09-2009, 05:51 PM
It's on the slightest tilt, and its making me worried. I'll try find another GTX260 user, see what theirs is like.

Old Man's... Sock?

Not my socks. I wear them long enough so they stand up on their own.

gary67
04-09-2009, 06:16 PM
It looks fine in the picture that tab is there to fix it with as said put a screw in it and that's done

Mister
04-09-2009, 06:17 PM
It looks fine in the picture that tab is there to fix it with as said put a screw in it and that's done

I'll take your word :thanks

Agent_24
04-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I understand (better) now.. with your new photos. what I thought was stopping the card going in is something else entirely (so what I said before has no relevance)

Since your card is a double-slot card, you did remove the covers from both slots? I expect the bottom one is used for cooling...

Mister
04-09-2009, 07:29 PM
I understand (better) now.. with your new photos. what I thought was stopping the card going in is something else entirely (so what I said before has no relevance)

Since your card is a double-slot card, you did remove the covers from both slots? I expect the bottom one is used for cooling...

Yeah, I put the card onto the motherboard using the bottom card.