PDA

View Full Version : TV Freeview problem (?)

Tony
31-08-2009, 10:21 PM
When I watch TV3 on Freeview the lip sync has all gone awry. It only happens on TV3, and it only happens when I watch the digital broadcast. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hitech
31-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Don't worry to much that happens sometimes it's not your fault tv3's tranmission goes out of sync it happens on sky to as well so no worry.
Just do a reset of your decoder unplug it and plug it back in sometimes that works and if not then ring tv3.

Tony
31-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Don't worry to much that happens sometimes it's not your fault tv3's tranmission goes out of sync it happens on sky to as well so no worry.
Just do a reset of your decoder unplug it and plug it back in sometimes that works and if not then ring tv3.I can't reset anything (I think) as the Freeview is integrated with the Samsung TV.

What happens if I call TV3 - and do I just talk to the switchboard or ask for a particular department?

Hitech
31-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Ring freeview first and ask if they are aware of the problem, failing that ring tv3 and ask for a technical person not the switchy you will get nowhere.
If you have freeview built in turn your tv off for 1 minute and back on again that might fix it.

Trev
31-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah I notice it sometimes as will. Mainly on TV1 news items. I don't worry about it as it corrects itself.
:)

R2x1
31-08-2009, 10:46 PM
It is simply due to the fact that on the way down from the satellite to your TV the picture and sound get accelerated to a pretty fast clip. Naturally the picture can go quicker than the speed of sound ;)

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Hmm it happens with the USB tuner on this as well. I thought it was the power settings in Vista. Obviously it isnt. 1 and 3 go out of sync (its fine at the mo tho). I'm not using satellite tho, so that shot that theory

Tony
31-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Hmm it happens with the USB tuner on this as well. I thought it was the power settings in Vista. Obviously it isnt. 1 and 3 go out of sync (its fine at the mo tho). I'm not using satellite tho, so that shot that theoryIt only happens to me on 3, and I'm on the terrestrial broadcast as well. It has been happening for me on 3 for a week or so now - I just finally got fed up with it :). I also notice it happens mostly with the live programs (e.g. news) rather than other stuff. I've turned my TV off at the wall and back on, so I'll report back when Nightline starts in 30 mins.

bob_doe_nz
31-08-2009, 11:06 PM
When you say sync issues, how long is the delay?

Tony
31-08-2009, 11:13 PM
When you say sync issues, how long is the delay?Enough to be really irritating - not to mention distracting. Maybe 0.5 secs - or less. It does vary a bit.

bob_doe_nz
31-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Enough to be really irritating - not to mention distracting. Maybe 0.5 secs - or less. It does vary a bit.

Hmm, I'm using a USB tuner and DVBViewer. I've noticed a slight delay of less than 150 milliseconds.

Not enough to to be screwy, but enough that it is annoying. I notice that TV2 will become slightly choppy if I keep switching channels.

Tony
31-08-2009, 11:40 PM
OK, I've just been watching Nightline, and turning the TV off at the wall seems to have fixed it - although I think it is still slightly off. Strangely, if I listen to the sound through my sound system, the delay is marginally greater than if I listen through headphones plugged into the TV.

I reckon this new-fangled digital stuff isn't the panacea the marketers would like us to think it is - sound slippage, picture breakup, etc.

gary67
01-09-2009, 07:59 AM
We get that all the time on our cheapy box the trick for us is to quickly turn the freeview box off and then back on again, sometimes it needs two reboots other times just one

prefect
01-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Some of the channels some of the time have voice syncing out, no real biggie.

Trev
01-09-2009, 09:23 AM
No real biggie here either. I'm on HD terrestial Freeview. Being digital it could be some kind of digital interferance, on the odd occasion my picture pixalates for a second this happens both on Freeview and Sky.
:)

nofam
01-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Have never had any issue like there with HD here in Dunedin; I still get the odd jaggy and pixelation when a large truck drives past.

Out of sync sound would indicate an issue with processing the signal? - like it can't decode the picture and sound quickly enough on the fly?

Problem with Digital is that it's kind of all or nothing - you either have a perfect hi-def picture, or it degrades badly (not like analogue where you just get a bit of fuzziness or ghosting etc)

Cicero
01-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I must fork out for a box and find out first hand.