PDA

View Full Version : Problem creating shortcuts to files on mapped drives

Alank
31-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I recently bought a new PC with Vista Home Premium already installed and added to my home network with two other machines running XP Pro.

For some unknown reason, I cannot create shortcuts to files on the main XP Pro machine from the Vista desktop. Creating a new shortcut and entering the correct paths appears to look okay (the shortcut icon changes to an Excel file). However, when I click on it, nothing happens and the shortcut icon changes to a white. If I then look at the target file in the shortcuts properties, the path is there but the filename has gone!
Another strange thing that may be related is that when exploring the mapped network drive and then right mouse click and go New - Text file or folder for example, it won't create one.

One thing I can do is open an Excel file on the drive, make changes and then save it again. Both read and change permissions have been enabled on the share as well as at file and folder level for the Everyone group. Also, on Vista I'm using an administrative account. No error messages on any kind were displayed.

Would be really grateful for any help on this :badpc:

wainuitech
31-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Try doing it this way - see what happens:

Navigate Via the LAN to the location of the file / folder you want to make a shortcut to - right click it, send to - desktop (create Shortcut).

As long as it makes it OK, you can then change its Icon to what ever you want.

Blam
31-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Do you have any firewalls?

Alank
31-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Try doing it this way - see what happens:

Navigate Via the LAN to the location of the file / folder you want to make a shortcut to - right click it, send to - desktop (create Shortcut).

As long as it makes it OK, you can then change its Icon to what ever you want.

Thanks but the same thing happens. A normal Excel file shortcut appears on the desktop. In the properties, the path and file appear correct. However, clicking on the shortcut to open causes the icon to change white and nothing happens. Going back to the properties again, the correct path is still there but the filename has dropped off the end.
Using the other XP machine, shortcuts to folders or files on the mapped drive work fine. Something to do with Vista?

Alank
31-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Do you have any firewalls?

Yes I do. The new Vista computer has the Norton 2008 firewall. Initially it couldn't be pinged from the XP computer but that was fixed after adding it's MAC address as a trusted machine in the Norton settings. For some reason though, I still cannot log on to the Vista computer from the XP computer to access its shares - the log on box appears but the valid user name and password doesn't work - entering it just causes the password box to pop back up again!

gary67
31-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Disable Norton and try again. The Vista comp does have a shared folder?

wainuitech
31-08-2009, 09:39 PM
In Vista, Awh hell, cant be bothered writing it out -- Lazy eh--

Have a read of This article (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/125876-password-protected-sharing-turn-off.html) - turn off password protected sharing.

While in that window, make sure of the following Via the drop down arows:

File sharing - is ON
Network Discovery - ON
Printer Sharing - ON ( just for the hell of it) ;)

Vista will not now ask for passwords from the XP PC's to any shared folders.

Note: may also fix the Shortcut problem.

Note2: Norton -- Can cause more problems than its worth.

Alank
31-08-2009, 11:21 PM
In Vista, Awh hell, cant be bothered writing it out -- Lazy eh--

Have a read of This article (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/125876-password-protected-sharing-turn-off.html) - turn off password protected sharing.

While in that window, make sure of the following Via the drop down arows:

File sharing - is ON
Network Discovery - ON
Printer Sharing - ON ( just for the hell of it) ;)

Vista will not now ask for passwords from the XP PC's to any shared folders.

Note: may also fix the Shortcut problem.

Note2: Norton -- Can cause more problems than its worth.

Thanks for that, I can now access the Vista computer from XP. Unfortunately the original problem with the shortcuts remains :(

wainuitech
31-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Hmmmm OK -- from the original Post:
cannot create shortcuts to files on the main XP Pro machine from the Vista desktop have you tried going the other way.

Can you try this -- Instead of going Via mapped network drive - open network / Navigate to the file / folder you want shared.

Also have you done This here (http://www.optimizingpc.com/miscellaneous/sharing_files_shared_folder.html) - scroll down till you see "Creating network share connections" ( just over half way down the page.) Or read the whole article.

Alank
01-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Another odd thing is that if I try renaming a file on the network drive using Vista, it changes to a 0kb file with a plain white icon. However, when I check on the other machine, the file is there and the rename from Vista was successful. Furthermore, if I F5 refresh the view of the mapped drive from Vista, the renamed file shows up again. Weird!!