PDA

View Full Version : Big bill from telecom!

whellington
31-08-2009, 12:43 PM
I got received a bill from Telecom of $6712.40!

In more detail:
*$39.99 + $6603.40 for internet usage.
*$43.80 calling plan, $7.00 call minder $2.50 display option + some $ for international fees

I'm on a 6gb promo plan, basically its the 3gb monthly plan of $39.99 but double the data capacity at no extra cost but you have to be on a 12 month contract. I have went over my data allowance many times before and never incurred a fee of 2cents per 1mb.

WTF is with telecom?

somebody
31-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Did your 12 month contract say anything about overage costs? The plan page here https://www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/select/1,10627,205836-204473,00.html?action=/plan&detail=4 still says:

# If you use more than your monthly data allowance your connection speed will slow down to a maximum of dial-up connection speed for the rest of the month. No additional usage costs apply

nofam
31-08-2009, 12:46 PM
I got received a bill from Telecom of $6712.40!

In more detail:
*$39.99 + $6603.40 for internet usage.
*$43.80 calling plan, $7.00 call minder $2.50 display option,

I'm on a 6gb promo plan, basically its the 3gb monthly plan of $39.99 but double the data capacity at no extra cost but you have to be on a 12 month contract. I have went over my data allowance many times before and never incurred a fee of 2cents per 1mb.

WTF is with telecom?

Gordon Bennett!!! :badpc:

Good effort. . . . :blush:

whellington
31-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Did your 12 month contract say anything about overage costs? The plan page here https://www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/select/1,10627,205836-204473,00.html?action=/plan&detail=4 still says:

No refer to my other pic, i went over the limit of 6gb and never got charged when i went over my limit 6gb. My speed gets capped to a max of dial up speed when i go over it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

somebody
31-08-2009, 12:54 PM
No refer to my other pic, i went over the limit of 6gb and never got charged when i went over my limit 6gb. My speed gets capped to a max of dial up speed when i go over it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

In that case ring them and talk to them about it - it's probably a billing glitch.

Bozo
31-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Exact same thing happened to me 2 months ago - went over my 40gb data limit and instead of getting capped they charged per MB.

As the speed didn't decrease I never noticed and went seriously over the limit and had a $800+ bill. Rang them up and sorted it all out - dirty swine. :mad:

nofam
31-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Would be an especially sticky situation if you had Telecom authorized to Direct Debit your bank a/c too!!

:horrified

PaulD
31-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Would be an especially sticky situation if you had Telecom authorized to Direct Debit your bank a/c too!!

:horrified

You get the bill in time to stop the deduction.

in line with your authority,
a Direct Debit of $xxx.xx
will be processed on
the payment due date
to instruct us otherwise, please
contact us at least two days prior

pctek
31-08-2009, 02:39 PM
WTF is with telecom?

Maybe so but WTF is with you using 39GB in one month?

wainuitech
31-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Maybe so but WTF is with you using 39GB in one month? Two guesses :D

Either hosting a web service OR Possibly using torent/P2P file sharing.

That was going by the fact the uploads and downloads are heavy all at the same time. ;)

I'd go through 30 -40 GB / month easy, but thats 95% in downloading programs, or updating customers PC's - windows updates, Programs from technet, or watching Web casts etc.

Bozo
31-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Maybe so but WTF is with you using 39GB in one month?

Only 39gb? :(

When I used to be on Xnet's $1 gb plan I would go through 80gb a month without blinking - now I'm stuck on telescums 40gb.

robbyp
31-08-2009, 03:51 PM
I think pctech was referring to the huge jump in usage from previous months, as it doesn't appear that we have the full story on this. The other months, the user would have also gone over their quota, so were they also over charged on those too?

Blam
31-08-2009, 03:59 PM
I use the Netusage addon (http://netusage.iau5.com/) for firefox to keep track of where I'm at.

Very useful, try it out.

wainuitech
31-08-2009, 04:07 PM
I think pctech was referring to the huge jump in usage from previous months, as it doesn't appear that we have the full story on this. The other months, the user would have also gone over their quota, so were they also over charged on those too? it is possible that Telecom have caught up and charged the full amount that was used, in other words, they goofed and didn't charge the previous months -

I had that with Telstra ages ago - it took a few months before they realized they had not charged for usage when they should have.

From original Post:

+ $6603.40 for internet usage

PaulD
31-08-2009, 04:39 PM
it is possible that Telecom have caught up and charged the full amount that was used, in other words, they goofed and didn't charge the previous months -

The OP is on a fixed cost $39.95 plan, that should be the full amount. Using >30GB over your allowance and acting surprised that something has gone wrong doesn't compute.

SolMiester
31-08-2009, 05:21 PM
LOL, you get 3Gb fixed price and get extra 3Gb free, but decide to use 40Gb?!...LOL...I think you'll find you are liable for that.....

somebody
31-08-2009, 05:30 PM
LOL, you get 3Gb fixed price and get extra 3Gb free, but decide to use 40Gb?!...LOL...I think you'll find you are liable for that.....

But the details of the plan on Telecom's website says

If you use more than your monthly data allowance your connection speed will slow down to a maximum of dial-up connection speed for the rest of the month. No additional usage costs apply

robbyp
31-08-2009, 05:31 PM
The OP is on a fixed cost $39.95 plan, that should be the full amount. Using >30GB over your allowance and acting surprised that something has gone wrong doesn't compute.

Does telecom actually slow your usage down to dialup after you have used your quota? They didn't use to do that, and you used to be charged on your useage over the quota, so it was very important to stay under your quota. It may be different now. YOu can chose to be slowed down to dialup with Xnet, or or you can raise your quota, or have unlimited bandwidth. But they only charge you about $1 per GB.

robbyp
31-08-2009, 05:34 PM
But the details of the plan on Telecom's website says

I think that depends on the plan you are on. as that wasn't the case a few years ago when I was using the. If that was the case for all plans now, I am glad I am not with them, becuase they will keep you stuck on dial up speeds until the next billing cycle. Even if you upgrade, the upgrade doesn't take effect until the next billing cycle, as I found out when I was using them.

somebody
31-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I think that depends on the plan you are on. as that wasn't the case a few years ago when I was using the. If that was the case for all plans now, I am glad I am not with them, becuase they will keep you stuck on dial up speeds until the next billing cycle. Even if you upgrade, the upgrade doesn't take effect until the next billing cycle, as I found out when I was using them.

Take a look at the page I linked to way back in post #2. The details on that page are specific to the plan the OP is on, and under the heading "3GB Monthly data allowance", it has that sentence which I quoted referring to dial-up speeds and excess charges.

So yes - it does depend on what plan you're on. What has been quoted is relevant to the plan the OP is on.

whellington
31-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes it usually gets reduced to dial up speed (under 10kbs dl speed) when i go over my fdata allowance. But for this month it didn't and i'm still on the same plan 6GB promo.

radium
31-08-2009, 08:01 PM
I had a similar issue with telecom bout 5 years ago, long story, it was dial up and they were charging me $2.50 an hour instead of the $40 flat rate plan I was meant to be on.
But I ended up paying Telecom over $3000 in wrongful internet charges.

Their fault but they didn't see it that way. I was furious and went round in circles being diverted to almost every staff member from different departments, and got nowhere

I had asked to be on a plan but the lady at telecom hadn't set one up and they charged me by the hour.

They wouldn't accept the blame. I said who would choose $2.50 plan and surf the net that much. No one I told them. :mad:

GameJunkie
31-08-2009, 08:09 PM
I had a similar issue with telecom bout 5 years ago, long story, it was dial up and they were charging me $2.50 an hour instead of the $40 flat rate plan I was meant to be on.
But I ended up paying Telecom over $3000 in wrongful internet charges.

Their fault but they didn't see it that way. I was furious and went round in circles being diverted to almost every staff member from different departments, and got nowhere

I had asked to be on a plan but the lady at telecom hadn't set one up and they charged me by the hour.

They wouldn't accept the blame. I said who would choose $2.50 plan and surf the net that much. No one I told them. :mad:

was it sorted in the end?

gary67
31-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Heck we have 20GB between the 3 of us in this house and rarely get close to using it unless I repair a couple of machines and need extra updates or software.

whellington
31-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Heck we have 20GB between the 3 of us in this house and rarely get close to using it unless I repair a couple of machines and need extra updates or software.

Steam game downloads.. the games are like 6-7gb each

radium
31-08-2009, 08:31 PM
was it sorted in the end?

in the end... I just paid it... Why? Well I told them I wasn't going to pay it, and I didn't until they sent it to debt collection, That's when I gave in and paid it.

I should have fought it further, but gave in. Handed them around $3300.

somebody
31-08-2009, 08:44 PM
in the end... I just paid it... Why? Well I told them I wasn't going to pay it, and I didn't until they sent it to debt collection, That's when I gave in and paid it.

I should have fought it further, but gave in. Handed them around $3300.

In those days, did they record phone calls? It's too late now, but if so you should have asked them to dig up the audio recording of your initial call when you requested the plan change.

radium
31-08-2009, 09:03 PM
In those days, did they record phone calls? It's too late now, but if so you should have asked them to dig up the audio recording of your initial call when you requested the plan change.

True, Don't know if they had the ability to do that back then.

robbyp
31-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Yes it usually gets reduced to dial up speed (under 10kbs dl speed) when i go over my fdata allowance. But for this month it didn't and i'm still on the same plan 6GB promo.

I don't know, it is a little like a bank putting $1 million dollars into your bank account. It is dishonest to not give it back. WHen you relised your speed hadn't ben thottled back to dial up speed, why didn't you contact them? You did go well well over the amount of data you usually use.
I guess becuase it is their mistake, they will have to drop the overage charges, becuase the terms of your plan state that it will be thottled back and there are no overage fees. I am glad I am not using telecom anymore, becuase they do make these types of errors, and the errors are always to their advantage.