PDA

View Full Version : New computer & windows7

kountryken
31-08-2009, 09:15 AM
I have bought a new HP notebook (laptop) overr the weekend with Vista. According to information, I am entitled to upgrade to windows 7 at a cheaper cost. I've been told to go to Microsoft.com and find the upgrade section and enter my purchase details. I'm buggered if I can find the place on the websight. any help please?

wainuitech
31-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Go to This page (https://fulfillment.msapoc.com/Direct/Fulfillment/TechG/Windows-7/Overview.aspx?CountryCode=NZL&locale=en-us) - down the bottom, click continue, accept terms etc --follow through.

FAB
31-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Sllightly off-topic but got to say I got a trial version of Windows 7 and had an old Tosh M3 lying about...so thought, why not?

It's got a performance rating of 1.0 with Windows 7 installed and...it goes like a rocket. Very impressed so far, especially for the low specs of the laptop - 512meg, 4200rpm hard disk, onboard graphics. Some aspects of Windows 7 still annoy more hugely, but overall a massive improvement over Vista, if just for the speed up.

Blam
31-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Yep, I've ran it on P4s and Pentium M's and it runs like a dream.

Feels faster than XP on the same machine..

nmercer
31-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Just go to this page http://www.windows.com/upgradeoffer and it will redirect you to the correct country

Cheers
Nathan
Microsoft NZ

Barnabas
02-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Actually I bought an HP a couple of weeks ago and found that you have to do it through this site

http://h20426.www2.hp.com/program/windows7/upgrade/ap/en/index.html

Also, be prepared with a credit card for your "free upgrade" to pay about $40 shipping as it looks like the DVDs are shipping from Singapore

B.

autechre
03-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Also, be prepared with a credit card for your "free upgrade" to pay about $40 shipping as it looks like the DVDs are shipping from Singapore
$40 for shipping?? I hope that is a next day courier for that price :)

dalwynr
28-11-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm a bit annoyed!
Just bought a new Tosh for my daughter with Vista loaded and got the "Future Proofed" pamphlet, with the intention of immediately upgrading to Win7.
Under the pamphlet's terms & conditions it states: "NZ residents: you will be charged NZ$29.95 (incl GST, post, handling)..."
That's OK. I can live with that.
But, I go to the website suggested: "windows.com/upgradeoffer" and I am redirected through to the manufacturer's upgrade site (Toshiba in this case).
In their T & Cs, it states: "...Admin, Handl, Shipp fees apply. NZ =$36.50 AUD incl GST..."
Whoa, here we go :(
Anyway, I bite the bullet reluctantly (as you do for a daughter) and proceed.

Disc finally arrives via an Aussie distributor, as does the
credit card bill: NZ$47.00 !!!!.
WTF! The exchange rate's not that bad!!
Do I smell an Aussie (or M$) scam here??

Anyone else had this experience, too?

Can anyone from Microsoft NZ or Toshiba Nz/Au explain this??
Seems like a rip-off to me, as well as false advertising.

wainuitech
28-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Welcome to PF1 - if it was $36.50 AUD incl GST which you mention then thats about right, see attachment - its from Westpac convert

berryb
30-11-2009, 12:58 PM
I just did a Win 7 request via the Acer website and freight was US$20 to be charged once media sent.