PDA

View Full Version : Clocking a PC

Johnnz
30-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi all,
Just got an old Pentium 3 PC (HP Vectra VL400DT) to do some experimentation with (want to convert it into a dedicated audio source for my home hifi eventually), but first wondering if there is any posssible way to overcome the locked out features in bios that disables me from changing the clock speed? Can I "load" a new bios into the computer somehow? I know there is an updated version of the bios thats on it - currently have version IP.01.07US.

Chucked some extra 256ram in already (above original 128mb) and that worked a treat for increasing boot speed and overall perfomance.

Already installed a C-media audio card with optical out and rewritten driver software to do bitperfect output. Can see the little red light but have yet to hook up to my stereo. Good fun and games all round so far :) :banana

By the way, I want to underclock it so I can do away with the fan more safely. (want to install a big heatsink in there instead so it'll be silent - once I get a new harddrive for it that doesn't sound like a mouse eating crackers...)

hueybot3000
30-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Id chuck the bigger heatsink on and stress it while monitoring temps, cant imagine itd get to hot if the heatsink is half decent

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2009, 11:20 PM
You cant load a BIOS in the computer (or any BIOS). Unless its specifically for the PC. So, no I doubt that you'll be able to unlock the settings, if theyre locked with the latest BIOS update. Unless, you know what youre doing.