PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing 'puter woes

R.M.
30-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Last week I replaced my HDD and reinstalled an Acronis image of C Drive. All seemed initially well, with one or two minor problems which seemed to sort themselves out.

My OS is Windows XP Pro. Now the puter takes for ages booting up (2m39sec on the Windows XP splash page alone). Last night I scanned with Spybot, with Spyware Terminator, CCleaner and posted a HyjackThis log for Speedy to puruse (he did, and I followed his advice). I also change the Firewall from Comodo to the Sunbelt one recommended by Wainui.

As the machine boots (I can get into BIOS, don't think I can get into Safe Mode) I get a worrying message:
Identifying DMI Pool Data
...(not sure what is there) ..ase Install Xpress Recovery from Gigabyte CD title. Press any key to continue. (It is a Gigabyte MB).

Now, if I turn the machine off at this stage and start the reboot again, it will eventually boot up, again taking a long time. Everything works - but slowly.

I read something on the Net about resetting CMOS jumpers - that's outside of my expertise, I'm afraid. :badpc:

Would anyone like to comment? :)

Blam
30-08-2009, 05:25 PM
So you can't reset the CMOS yourself?

Can you get a local tech to do it then?

wainuitech
30-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Being a gigabyte board, you have to "juggle" the F8 key to get into safe mode. it takes a bit of timing, but let the first gigabyte boot screen run through, the moment it disappears, then hit F8 - that should jump you into the options - load safe mode.

BUT if you can get in normally, even though slower, then once loaded, start/run type in msconfig <Enter> look at the start up tab, work through and disable any programs you dont need to run, Eg: Adobe, messenger, Itunes, Quicktime etc. Reboot.
Esp have a look for Comodo - sometimes it leaves entries even if it has been uninstalled.

If no faster, run Ccleaner, do a defrag - give it a general clean out.

ryanjames.powell
30-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Is the hard drive brand new or second hand? If it is second hand I would boot into recovery console using your Windows XP CD and run CHKDSK /r, to check your hard drive for errors and fix them. Computers that go slow all the time like you describe can be caused by failing hard drives. If you get a large number of errors, or the problem comes back after a while, your hard drive is probably about to fail entirely and you should back up your data and be prepared to get a new one. There are of course several other possibilities but try this as it is reasonably easy. You could also look at doing a fresh installation from a CD rather than using an image.

Edit: Another thought: If it is an IDE hard drive, have you set the jumpers (Slave/Master) correctly. Setting these wrong can make windows take a VERY long time to start and sometimes not at all.

R.M.
30-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the words of advice! However, while it may seem logical to you guys, I'm not totally sure of which programs I need. Webshots is to do with my screensaver, some of the others I know I don't need such as Sightspeed (in fact I should get rid of that).

So - I guess I'm asking which are the 'have to have' ones. :)

R.M.
30-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Wainui - I CAN get into Safe Mode - have to admit I was belting away at the wrong key... :o

I'll work my way through the other cleanup suggestions, but it occurs to me that 'Himself' has used the 'puter this week, and while he has an NZCE in electonics & computer technology, he doesn't have a clue (or wants to) about using them. Not that I'm saying anything.... :(

Ryan - it is a new replacement under warranty HDD. And yes it is IDE - checked the jumpers pretty carefully, although you never know. It all WAS working reasonably well on about Monday this week. And yes, I did think about starting from scratch again, but the last (and my first) install took me about 3 days of working fairly full time at it - so I was trying to 'short cut' - perhaps I made the wrong decision. :groan:

wainuitech
30-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Wainui - I CAN get into Safe Mode - have to admit I was belting away at the wrong key...
:p Dont ya just hate it when that happens, does't matter, we all do things like that sometimes.

Regarding the startup - Not to many that will slow it down. But these can go--

From Pic 1

Realsched
DVD43
Quickcam
stxmenumgr -- This is part of Seagate FreeAgent -turn off if not using.

WHAT is Communications_H... ???? cant see as the description is hidden - disable if not needed.

Second Pic;

CS4Servicemanager --- its part of adobe auto updater
cftmon - not required
googletoolbar
sitespeed
PCsuite -- part of Nokia phone - not needed on startup

spyder3utility - WHATS THAT belong to - looking, its a system HOG

Bridge -??? Whats it bridging, something to do with adobe by the looks ???
Watch -- Watching what ???

wainuitech
30-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Add to above -- If its still slow while running, press CTRL+ALT+DEl to bring up the task manager, look at the CPU Usage along the bottom of the open window - go to the processes Tab, under CPU listing - look to see whats hogging the CPU.

IF its still not showing - you can try this:

Double click My Computer.

# In the My Computer window, right-click the hard drive and click Properties.
# In the Properties box, click the Tools tab.
# Click the "Check Now" button.
# In the Check Disk dialog box, select both boxes, Automatically fix system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start. (even though its a new drive, it still could be faulty)

It will more than likely say it cant run, select yes to run at next start up - restart - go and make a cuppa, have dinner or what ever - could take a while, but let it run through.

R.M.
31-08-2009, 07:32 AM
When I went to bed last night, I took the MB manual with me (now how exciting is that!) - I wonder now if it might be the MB drivers that need reinstalling? I'll give it a go - probably tonight. And your other suggestions too. :)

Bridge - yes that is part of Photoshop.
Spyder - that's the screen calibration - very necessary in my world!

pctek
31-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Spyder - that's the screen calibration - very necessary in my world!

Other than that one then - none of them. And where's your antivirus?!!
AV and firewall should be resident. Everything else is unnecessary.

wainuitech
31-08-2009, 10:19 AM
where's your antivirusHad to look that one up, since I dont use avast, but ashdisp = Avast Internet security suite

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Avast doesnt have a security suite. That file is running here, but it definitely isnt the ISS.

wainuitech
31-08-2009, 11:02 AM
I got the info from This site - process (http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/ashdisp/) and they will have it real soon As described here (http://www.jkwebtalks.com/2009/07/avast-antivirus-5-and-avast-internet.html)you can download the new version 5 Beta from Avast (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=48030.0)

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Yup I did read v5 is coming out. Looks pretty good too. I'll wait for the final to arrive, before I install it. Might try Opera 10 too when it comes out. The final is due wed this week, according to some sites

Ashdisp is also in the current version

R.M.
31-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Other than that one then - none of them. And where's your antivirus?!!
AV and firewall should be resident. Everything else is unnecessary.

I thought I had Avast and Sunbuilt going. Certainly Sunbuilt is currently nagging me heaps -will look into that later.:o

wainuitech
31-08-2009, 02:01 PM
I thought I had Avast and Sunbuilt going. Certainly Sunbuilt is currently nagging me heaps -will look into that later.:o The firewall will nag until you settle it down, when the pop up comes up, you know what its asking ( it will say what wants access) put a tick in the box (bottom left) / click Allow and that wont bug you again, normally unless there is a change or upgrade to the said program.

Some programs may have 3-4 apps that want access, so until they all are accepted there will be pop ups.

When I install the firewall - I run through all the programs when I put it in, and force the pop up, that way by the time the PC goes back - all the "Decision work" has been done. Just did that before lunch took all of 5 minutes.

At least you know its working - other wise you wouldn't be getting anything.

R.M.
31-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Further to the Nag Screens - what I am getting is:
Instusion Attempt Blocked each and every time I go on the Net (and others). I can't see any place to tick, other than to Allow technical details to be transmitted to Sunbelt. This message seems to relate to Logitech Quick Camera.

I sort of think that's not what you are talking about...

ryanjames.powell
31-08-2009, 09:53 PM
And yes, I did think about starting from scratch again, but the last (and my first) install took me about 3 days of working fairly full time at it - so I was trying to 'short cut' - perhaps I made the wrong decision. :groan:

I take your point there and I know what you mean. I installed Windows 7 a few weeks ago and am just getting to the stage where I'm happy that everything is how I want it. The reason I suggested the jumpers is because I once installed a DVD drive and set it up as master accidentally and also set the hard drive to master on the same cable. I got a similar problem where Windows would eventually start but would take forever and wouldn't work very well afterwards.

Bridge -??? Whats it bridging, something to do with adobe by the looks ???

Adobe Bridge is a content organiser program that is part of Adobe's Creative Suite.

wainuitech
31-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Further to the Nag Screens - what I am getting is:
Instusion Attempt Blocked each and every time I go on the Net (and others). I can't see any place to tick, other than to Allow technical details to be transmitted to Sunbelt. This message seems to relate to Logitech Quick Camera.

I sort of think that's not what you are talking about... You may need to uninstall the Web cam and put it back in again -- have a read of This forum (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=312230&forumid=1) - does the top discription sound like your problem ??

If so - ignore all the crap / fight thats going on, scroll down to the bottom posting by "Barmoor" ( 3rd from the bottom.)

Looks like the firewalls doing its job-- Damn Logitech Cam being nosey.