PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with some issues with Open Office.org

tuiruru
30-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi

Because my primary hard drive failed and I'm slowly reinstallinf stuff on the new one. Because I can't find the Office 2007 CD I thought I'd try Open Office 3.1.0. I've hit a few snags as follows (here I'm just talking about creating documents in Writer):

Is it possible to force it to open with the Window already maximised?

I created a basic table with columns for Name, Address, Phone Number and Other details and entered some data (I know I could do it in Calc but I haven't got that far yet). When I come to use Autoformat on the table the column headings stay there as do the names in the first column but all the rest of the data turns to zeros. What's going on?

The Spelling Checker doesn't pick up mistakes when I run it over the entire document

The Check the Spelling as you go function doesn't work

Is it possible to have, say, Wtiter and Calc open at the same time? If so how?

As usual all input greatfully accepted

pctek
30-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Open Office has several .exes same as MS Office. SWriter, SCalc etc.
SO just launch them from that - make shortcuts - I call the shortcuts Word, Excel etc usually. Saves explanations......

The formatting is a bit different in OO, but you can do much the same thing. There is a help function built in - have a read and play around, it's just a matter of getting used to the new methods.

See here about spelling:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries

tuiruru
30-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks for that PC Tech - I'll have a read about dictionaries and thanks for the shortcut tips.

I've solved the first problem and it now opens maximised

tuiruru
30-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Spell Check - Solved
Spell Check as you go - solved
Having Writer and Calc open at same - solved
all thanks to PC Tech's suggestions

Now all we've got to do is crack the Auto formatting in the Table problem!!