PDA

View Full Version : FreeviewHD - can't get channels on a particular frequency

somebody
30-08-2009, 01:35 PM
I use a USB DVB-T tuner with my PC, to get Freeview (using DVBViewer). I use an internal (amplified) UHF antenna sitting on a windowsill pointing in the same direction as the neighbours' TV aerial, since the aerial on my roof is just VHF.

I can easily get the TVNZ and Mediaworks channels fine (off the 690000 and 706000 frequencies respectively), but I can't get anything off the Kordia or Sky frequency (supposedly 778000). TVNZ and Mediaworks channels are crystal clear, but my TV tuner can't even find any evidence of a TV signal of the 778000 frequency.

Based off this table (http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/digital-terrestrial-i-8.html) I'm likely to be receiving a reflected signal off the Kaukau transmitter in Wellington - I'm assuming it's a reflected signal, since my aerial isn't pointed at Kaukau (there's the neighbour's house, plus a hill in the way).

After doing some more channel scanning with DVBViewer GE, I can detect the Kordia and Sky/Prime transmissions, and get the EPG for them, but I can't actually receive the audio/video off any of those channels. The frequency for these is 762000, which suggests that it's coming off a different transmitter in the Wellington region, possibly quite a bit further away. I can also see TVNZ/Mediaworks on 714000 and 730000 which is probably the same transmitter I am finding the Kordia/Sky broadcasts on. With these channels, I while I can get the EPG, I cannot get the actual video/audio.

So... 2 questions for you guys:
1) Is there any technical reason why I can happily find and tune into signals off Kaukau (probably reflected) for the TVNZ and Mediaworks channels, but not the Kordia ones? Does Kordia maybe have a repeater nearby which I'm actually receiving the signal off, rather than simply getting a reflected signal?
2) Back when FreeviewHD was first launched (well - a few weeks before it officially went live) I could happily get the Kordia HD test channel, which would have probably been off the 778000 frequency. Is there any reason why I could get it then, but not now?

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Its probably DVBviewer. Get another program. Or use the program the tuner came with. According to this tuner Prime is 666000, HD test channel is 626000

Whats the brand/model of the tuner?

somebody
30-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Its probably DVBviewer. Get another program. Or use the program the tuner came with. According to this tuner Prime is 666000, HD test channel is 626000

Whats the brand/model of the tuner?

KWorld DVB-T 350U or 355U (I think - because of where the tuner is mounted, I can't read the label on the back of it).

I'd rather not throw away DVBViewer since a) it works well for everything else, and b) I paid for it.

Hmm... HD test is on 778000, and partially works (signal is terrible). Prime and other Kordia is 762000.

somebody
30-08-2009, 03:04 PM
After experimenting with aerial placement, it seems like if I lift it up about 180mm I can now find channels on 778000 (Kordia/Sky), although the reception still isn't good enough to properly receive the video - it's very jumpy.

somebody
30-08-2009, 03:33 PM
After experimenting with aerial placement, it seems like if I lift it up about 180mm I can now find channels on 778000 (Kordia/Sky), although the reception still isn't good enough to properly receive the video - it's very jumpy.

Argh - I can't seem to get it back now after playing with the aerial.