PDA

View Full Version : MS Office Genuine Advantage failing on laptop

Sick Puppy
30-08-2009, 12:17 AM
[sigh] I got stupid a few months ago and downloaded this 'update'. I had no worries at the time since my XP and Office are genuine.

However, this OGA rubbish has now expanded to MS Office- "Office Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB949810)". It was DL'd as a critical security update over the weekend, and now whenever I start my laptop, a MS window comes up telling me it has failed and needs to close.

Now, while it's not affecting the laptop's performance any (at least I don't think it is), it's kinda annoying that a background program is telling me it's flinking when it isn't even needed.

I've done a google search (MS site too), and the only references I can find for it are from a few years back in relation to Servers- not too relevant, although its the same update. Following the solution provided doesn't appear to work for me either.

Has anyone else had this problem in the last week or so, and/or does anyone have any solutions for this problem? Thanks in advance for your help!

[goes off to smite MS for causing grief when not needed]

WarNox
30-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Hey!

Mine did something similar once, with an update I didn't want. Booting into safe mode works and from there you can use System Restore to go back to a time before the updates were installed :) That worked for me, good luck.

Gregor

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Next time, dont put updates on automatic. There is a way to kill the warning, but dont know if I can say how to in the forum

wainuitech
30-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Two of our PC's here did the same thing last week. Every thing is legit.

In the end I turned off the PC's and one update installed when shutting down. Then ran windows update manually, and that fixed the problem.

The legal way you can fix this is call MS - tell them whats happening - you may be be required to give your product Codes as proof that they are legit.

As long as they are legit, even if the codes come back as not, there are two other smaller codes on a COA that MS can cross reference, one starts with X??-????. They will then provide a fix.

Blam
30-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Best thing to do is call M$

SR doesn't always work.

Sick Puppy
30-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Cool, thanks guys- Automatic update has been disabled; will give system restore a crack and hope for the best.

Otherwise, I will give MS a call (and if they don't/ won't help, hell! :D )

Terry Porritt
30-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Or, just remove it, these things are a pain inflicted on genuine users, whilst the pirates will mostly evade WGA anyway.

"While non-genuine Microsoft products will face problems, it has caused many issues for official license users of the product. Microsoft says that this was a "voluntary Microsoft update" but you have no control to uninstall once it is installed."

http://www.makefriendsandmoney.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-office-genuine-advantage-notifications-kb949810/

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/28/workaround-to-disable-and-remove-oga-office-not-genuine-notifications-uninstall-kb949810/

Google will give lots of sites about how to remove this crapware, these are two.

I dont understand what Speedy's problem still is, I thought we had sorted out the ethics of all this when WGA first appeared way back.

Windows Secrets site is worth reading to get "authentic" views on WGA/OGA.

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I dont have a prob with it, I dont have it or WGA. Since i dont have updates on AUTO

Terry Porritt
30-08-2009, 01:46 PM
No, but for some reason you dont want to advise how to remove WGA/OGA
"There is a way to kill the warning, but dont know if I can say how to in the forum"

The fact is these do not have to be installed, it is voluntary, but if they are, inadvertently, then they cannot be removed through Add/Remove.

It is no 'crime' to tell how to remove them.

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2009, 02:00 PM
I didnt say it was through add/remove. Just kill the startup entries, rename the files belonging to OGA. And if IIRC it puts entries under the scheduler as well.

Do a search in google, that'll tell you how to remove either. It maybe voluntary, but if you leave updates on AUTO, obviously theyre going to install.

WGA is easier to remove, since someone made a tool to do it for you automatically

Terry Porritt
30-08-2009, 02:44 PM
I didnt say it was through add/remove.
.................................................. ........................

I know you didn't, I didn't actually say that you did :) I was just commenting on the fact that WGA/OGA cannot be removed through Add/Remove once they have been inadvertently installed.

.........and that is why people need to know how to remove/uninstall these irritations.

mikebartnz
30-08-2009, 03:28 PM
If MS want to reduce their market share all they have to do is pi** off genuine legit users.

Terry Porritt
30-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Whilst we are at it, let's once and for all get it straight...

It is not illegal to remove/uninstall, by whatever means, WGA/OGA

It is not illegal to advise on this forum or any other forum how to remove/uninstall WGA/OGA.

There is no need for dark hints that it can be done, but musn't say how.

Just browse through Windows Secrets for the low down:

http://windowssecrets.com/search/?q=%22genuine+advantage%22&advWS=1

wainuitech
30-08-2009, 04:12 PM
It is not illegal to remove/uninstall, by whatever means, WGA/OGA

It is not illegal to advise on this forum or any other forum how to remove/uninstall WGA/OGA. Just had a look through the posts - nowhere has speedy actually said its illegal to remove, his reply may have read like that, but thats all.

If you dont want it, you don't have to have it.

Yes it can be removed - - BUT ever thought there may be another reason why speedy wont say how ?

I for one can think of a reason - to remove it correctly you need to remove several registry keys other wise even when you do uninstall it, it comes back, even if auto update is turned off, and if you remove the wrong keys it can cause more damage than good. Several of the keys look exactly the same and you have to get the right ones.

I have seen people play with the registry before trying to remove WGA & OGA - ended up causing all sorts of problems.

Blam
30-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Just had a look through the posts - nowhere has speedy actually said its illegal to remove, his reply may have read like that, but thats all.

If you dont want it, you don't have to have it.

Yes it can be removed - - BUT ever thought there may be another reason why speedy wont say how ?

I for one can think of a reason - to remove it correctly you need to remove several registry keys other wise even when you do uninstall it, it comes back, even if auto update is turned off, and if you remove the wrong keys it can cause more damage than good. Several of the keys look exactly the same and you have to get the right ones.

I have seen people play with the registry before trying to remove WGA & OGA - ended up causing all sorts of problems.

Personally my thoughts on WGA/OGA is that if you've got a legal version-then ring M$. Why bring yourself more hassles!;)

wainuitech
30-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Personally my thoughts on WGA/OGA is that if you've got a legal version-then ring M$. Why bring yourself more hassles!;):clap VERY well said my friend- if theres a problem, fix it, because sooner or later it will turn around and bite in the backside -AGAIN. :thumbs: