PDA

View Full Version : Spyware Terminator 2.5

tuiruru
29-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi
I was using an earlier version successfully before my primary hard drive died.Has anyone used this version - reading what it does it seems as if it will behave like Comodo Firewall so I was wondering if there would be a conflict. Anyone got any info?

Thanks

Blam
29-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Turn the real-time shield off.

It can conflict with AVs and Firewalls...

tuiruru
29-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi Blam
Doesn't turning the real time shield off knock out quite a lot of it's usefulness although I can see there would be conflicts? I was thinking specifically about installation of software - I don't want to have to tell Comodo something is OK to install and then have to do the same with Terminator. Will turning the real time shield off stop that?

wainuitech
29-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Turning off Real time protection is silly - it's no point in having the program if you do that.

The real time protection is to stop infections or actions that may cause problems.

Turning it off means it wont detect anything until it scans - and by that time the damage will be done. If you want to install programs and not get the warnings simply right click the Icon in the tray, exit - disable - and on next reboot it starts as normal.

About the only thing I turn off / dont install is the web crawler - that puts a tool bar on your browser. usually a day or so later you will get a warning called security check - you put a tick in the bottom left corner check box and close it. As shown Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Spyware_terminator_Warning.jpg)

Personally I have stopped using Comodo on customers PC's ever since they installed their own AV - I have found it clashes with a LOT of other programs and is the cause of endless other problems.

EDITED:

BTW: the latest version when it updates is 2.6.0.110.

One other main change I make, under Settings / Update - I change it to Spyware Terminator Server (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Spyware.jpg) .

The default is client to client -- and is slow as a wet week- and often stops part way through.

tuiruru
29-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks for that Wainuitech!

R.M.
29-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Personally I have stopped using Comodo on customers PC's ever since they installed their own AV - I have found it clashes with a LOT of other programs and is the cause of endless other problems.

So which firewall do you recommend now?

Blam
29-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Turning off Real time protection is silly - it's no point in having the program if you do that.

The real time protection is to stop infections or actions that may cause problems.

Turning it off means it wont detect anything until it scans - and by that time the damage will be done. If you want to install programs and not get the warnings simply right click the Icon in the tray, exit - disable - and on next reboot it starts as normal.

About the only thing I turn off / dont install is the web crawler - that puts a tool bar on your browser. usually a day or so later you will get a warning called security check - you put a tick in the bottom left corner check box and close it. As shown Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Spyware_terminator_Warning.jpg)

EDITED:

BTW: the latest version when it updates is 2.6.0.110.

One other main change I make, under Settings / Update - I change it to Spyware Terminator Server (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Spyware.jpg) .

The default is client to client -- and is slow as a wet week- and often stops part way through.

Obviously you don't turn of RTP for all programs-its jus that I've found that Spyware Terminator can get *very* annoying at times!

wainuitech
29-08-2009, 10:03 PM
So which firewall do you recommend now? Currently For general usage Sunbuilt (http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-home-office/sunbelt-personal-firewall/) - it used to be Kerio Personal Firewall.

Like any new firewall installed, it will bug you with pop ups - refer to #1 - list below at end of this post - once set correctly -- only pop ups are when something bad happens.

Obviously you don't turn of RTP for all programs-its jus that I've found that Spyware Terminator can get *very* annoying at times! Personally I cant really see why so many people have so many pop ups all the time.

Only time I ever get any pop up messages is if I install something, a program updates and requires permissions to change or if spyware tries to get in.

Other wise - Hell I can go for weeks with out a single pop up ( and so do all my customers) BUT it sure works when something does happen.

Only time I see people complain is because they dont know how to use it, or they have a lot of crap on their PC's - if something pops up, and you know its safe, tell it to remember the setting and it does.

When I was using comodo, many people said the same thing - it was quite simply lack of knowledge on using the program - show them what they were doing wrong and the pop ups stopped until something bad did happen.

Its the old story - I see it all the time--- SOME people are lazy - dont bother learning how to use programs correctly - they expect the program to do everything and they do nothing.

I teach my customers how to keep the PC's clean, and HOW to use the programs I have installed. ( if they listen - well thats another story):rolleyes:

Any one can dis agree all they like but 9 times out of 10 when some one says there's lots of pop ups its one of two things:

Not knowing what settings / actions to take.
PC has lots of Crap - or lots of programs that attract infections - (P2P / illegal Torrents)