PDA

View Full Version : Cant logon to windows XP - domain cancelled for MSHOME workgroup

Chemical Ali
28-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Hi

I've got a slightly unusual problem here!

Have just been fiddling wife my wife's laptop (she's a teacher) and trying to share our home printer (connected to our main PC) with her teaching-provided laptop.

I had been having problems trying to find the printer over the network until I relaised that the laptop was attached to the school's domain. So i changed it to the home workgroup (MSHOME) through advanced system settings and rebooted as Windows requires.

Now I cant login to Windows XP as the laptop appears to be still looking for the domain. The laptop is delivered to teachers in a fairly locked down state so there's no option on the LogOn splash screen to allow you to change the domain and/or subnet!!

i have tried using safemode and "other tricks" such as holding down the shift button (while logging on) to curcumvent or get around the logon process so that I can restore the domain vis system details/properties. bUt it's so ocked down nothing is working!

Any suggestions!?

gary67
28-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Oh removing from the domain often requires the domain password from the school tech to get it back on again

wainuitech
28-08-2009, 09:06 PM
When it boots up and wants the Domain login, does it have a drop down arrow, that says Log on to this computer (words similar).

Blam
28-08-2009, 10:07 PM
This has happened to me before!

You need to logon to the local admin account(select logon to this computer)

If it has a password already set then use something like a hirens boot cd or something like this to recover it:
http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Once its reset logon locally, then perform a system restore.

If all else fails the workplace techies should easily be able to add to the PC back to the domain.

Blam

Erayd
28-08-2009, 11:09 PM
...until I realised that the laptop was attached to the school's domain. So i changed it to the home workgroup (MSHOME) through advanced system settings and rebooted as Windows requires.For future reference, don't do this. All it will do is annoy your no-longer-quite-so-friendly domain administrator when you bug them to please pretty please put it back on the domain for you - and if you've managed to take it off the domain, things won't work properly until this has been done.

Now I cant login to Windows XP as the laptop appears to be still looking for the domain. The laptop is delivered to teachers in a fairly locked down state so there's no option on the LogOn splash screen to allow you to change the domain and/or subnet!!Do you have an 'options' button available? Usually you'll need to click this in order to see things like the domain dropdown, shutdown options etc.

If you don't see this - are you using the welcome screen, or the 'classic' login box?

i have tried using safemode and "other tricks" such as holding down the shift button (while logging on) to curcumvent or get around the logon process so that I can restore the domain vis system details/properties. bUt it's so ocked down nothing is working!Yup, that won't get you anywhere.

Any suggestions!?Do what you should have done in the first place, and just request local admin rights. These machines are locked down to prevent people messing with them, so you shouldn't be changing stuff without getting the OK first.

Don't go resetting the local administrator account's password unless you've been given the OK to do it. It's technically quite possible to do, but if your school's admins or techs use it for anything they're not going to be too impressed when their login stops working.

nedkelly
29-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah I use to get so annoyed at teachers at my old school where I was a tech. Would have a list of problems all to do with teachers laptops and they all came from settings that they set for home and "accidentally" wiped the school ones. So glad I had the default settings memorized.