PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card advice

Strommer
27-08-2009, 12:30 PM
What budget graphics card would be suitable for the following system?

Foxconn 760GXK8MC-RS (http://www.comx-computers.co.za/computer-store-specifications.php?products=14161) (purchased Feb 2007), Sempron 3000, 512 RAM, WinXP.

It is a pc used in an office, NOT for gaming and not for the internet. Main use is for printing Word documents that contain photos.

Yes I know the mobo and cpu are budget. It is at my wife's business and the pc was originally used for text documents and the occasional photo but now the documents contain more photos and the system lags when sending the doc to the printer. I have tweaked WinXP as lean as possible, which has helped but the amount of graphics exceed the puny capabilities of the integrated graphics on the mobo. The staff are not capable of downsizing the photos to a more manageable 200 kb - most photos are 2 mb or larger.

PriceSpy has this as one of the cheapest: [ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCI-E 256MB] but I do not know if it would be compatible with the Foxconn mobo. What kind of graphics card is suitable? Are there certain brands to stay away from?

Would it also be best to increase the RAM by adding another stick of 256, or a 512?

Thanks.

inphinity
27-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Main use is for printing Word documents that contain photos.

the system lags when sending the doc to the printer.

the amount of graphics exceed the puny capabilities of the integrated graphics on the mobo. The staff are not capable of downsizing the photos to a more manageable 200 kb - most photos are 2 mb or larger.

Would it also be best to increase the RAM by adding another stick of 256, or a 512?

Thanks.

I seriously doubt the onboard graphics has anything to do with the issue. The graphics card plays no role at all in spooling a print job, it is predominantly CPU based.

I wouldn't bother with 256MB, 512MB would be better.

An HD3450 PCI-E will work in that motherboard, and is pretty low powered so shouldn't tax the PSU.

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Umm depends how much you want to spend. But yup the onboard video has nothing to do with anything else like printing. I think the site you posted is wrong. It doesnt have PCI-E only AGP and PCI.

Since, according to the foxconn site (http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000073) it doesnt say anything about PCI-E

utopian201
27-08-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree; integrated graphics are perfectly capable for XP if you don't play games or watch HD videos. I would add another 512mb or even 1gb to the computer.

What is the computer typically used for? Your slowdown sounds more like a driver/network issue.

Strommer
27-08-2009, 01:57 PM
inphinity and Speedy, utopian - thanks for the info. I will add more RAM, probably another 512 mb although I will have to check if a slot is free since there are already two sticks of 256 there.

Umm depends how much you want to spend. But yup the onboard video has nothing to do with anything else like printing. I think the site you posted is wrong. It doesnt have PCI-E only AGP and PCI.

Since, according to the foxconn site (http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000073) it doesnt say anything about PCI-E

OK - that is why I posted the mobo details - I am not familiar with graphic card specs - now I can see that it takes only AGP or PCI.

What is the computer typically used for? Your slowdown sounds more like a driver/network issue.

Read my post - all info is there.

--- ---

Last year the pc was not so slow but since then we have added another printer - a large laser Brother for black and white (newsletters, photocopying), while colour photos (within documents) are printed on an ink jet Epson. Could there be a conflict between these two printers?

I have run CCleaner numerous times and have tweaked the system using services.msc to turn off unnecessary programs.

Utopian says it could be a driver/network issue, but I have not been able to locate such an issue. I guess that the final solution will be to reinstall WinXP.

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2009, 05:24 PM
WHAT services did you disable?? Disabling the wrong service can stuff things up, or even slow things down

Strommer
27-08-2009, 06:20 PM
WHAT services did you disable?? Disabling the wrong service can stuff things up, or even slow things down

I was waiting for someone to mention this. Not to worry - I was careful. The pc became slow when sending photo/documents to the printer - prior to me disabling anything in services.msc

PRINT SPOOLING - this afternoon a friend rang me. He has a Celeron budget pc which was molasses slow awhile back but I tweaked it and had him increase the RAM from 256 to 1G (WinXP). Now it runs much better but he says it is slow sending photos to be printed. Same situation as my wife's office PC - it is interesting how the same problems pop up at the same time. Other than increasing RAM, is there any way to speed up print spooling?

Strommer
27-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Found a way to speed up printing. There should be an option for "Print directly to printer" instead of "Spool print documents".
This page (http://www.computerfreetips.com/Printing_Tips/Printer_speed.html) explains it. I will try it tomorrow.

Another idea is to set the staff's camera so the photos are on a low resolution but still suitable for printing pics embedded in documents. Most likely the camera is set to maximum photo resolution.