PDA

View Full Version : Converting or reading .wks files

Danger
27-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi on transfering some .wks files from my XP Home laptop to a XP Professional desktop my .wks files no longer open. What do I need to do to open or convert them to .xls or something? First option of a promised free download tricked me into running a Regcure scan but then wanted money to fix the problems.

Thanks

Greg

Sweep
27-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Open Works file on Laptop. Click save as and pick .xls from the drop down list.

This works in Works 8.

lakewoodlady
27-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Sounds like MS Works files. They need Works to open them I think. Or maybe MS Office or Open Office might do it.

LL

inphinity
27-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Correct, it's most commonly MS Works. MS Office, and various other office suites (OpenOffice etc) can handle them also.

Danger
27-08-2009, 02:20 PM
So far none of these options have worked. Looks like I may have to install MS Works onto the desktop to read and work with these files.

CYaBro
27-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Try this:

http://www.zamzar.com/conversionTypes.php

I've never used it but I know someone who did and they said it worked great.

rumpty
27-08-2009, 04:38 PM
You could have a look at this page for a version of Open Office that will open .wps files.
http://go-oo.org/

Or install MSWorks, open your .wps files in it, and save them as .rtf, which the normal Open Office will handle.

Sweep
27-08-2009, 04:42 PM
So far none of these options have worked. Looks like I may have to install MS Works onto the desktop to read and work with these files.

So what version of MS Works do you have?

And is there an option in the save as to save as CSV which you can import into Excel?

Danger
27-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your sugestions. I have Microsoft Works 2000 and have hundreds of .wks files related to my work, so its not easy to convert them all if its not automatic. It was easier after trying several options to just install the Works program on the new computer. I need to be able to access the files from both computers via my wireless network.

lakewoodlady
28-08-2009, 10:59 AM
hmmmm.......... You may have problems when you email any of them, the emailee might not have MS Works on their computer.

LL