PDA

View Full Version : Vodafone 3G Broadband question

Mamaz_NZ
27-08-2009, 03:11 AM
Jsut wondering if anyone here has been using the 3G broadband packages that Vodafone offers. Specifically the Dell Netbook promo.

Have you had any issues with netbook?

What's coverage like in your area?

Is it possible for Vodafone to put in a usage restriction on these plans i.e. if I exceed 3GB - net access is cut off? (I have asked Vodafone Customer Services and got a firm no)

pctek
27-08-2009, 08:28 AM
J
Is it possible for Vodafone to put in a usage restriction on these plans i.e. if I exceed 3GB - net access is cut off? (I have asked Vodafone Customer Services and got a firm no)

Yep I know someone on it. He's regretting it now - and it would cost him $500 to break the contract.

He went over his data limit and it's $512 per GB that they charge you after the first 1GB extra.

Dangerous and I would avoid it unless you have no other options for broadband at all.

wratterus
27-08-2009, 05:24 PM
If you are in the upper SI don't go anywhere near any of Vodafone's mobile broadband offers IMO. Stick with Telecom. You get the same horrific charges, but at least it will actually work.

Around here (Motueka/Tasman/Golden Bay) Vodafone's 3G reception is virtually non existent, where Telecom's is excellent, last time I tested them here in Mot, the Vodafone one would not even connect, and the Telecom one achieved 3.5mbps download and .6mbps upload. Not bad.

Mamaz_NZ
29-08-2009, 10:06 PM
That's awesome info wratterus, thanks for that. It's actually an investment / project that I am looking at and I need good coverage especially in the South Island.

You guys have any recommendations for internet solutions for mobile field engineers. The team is spread all over NZ, one of the guys actually covers the areas mentioned by watterus above. The solution preferably has to be mobile but I can consider fixed location access as well. GPRS and dialup is a bit too slow for our requirements.

Chilling_Silence
29-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Contact your nearest Telecom dealer, or check on the website for the plans on their XT Network?

Mamaz_NZ
30-08-2009, 07:14 PM
I've had the sales pitch from Telecom. Not the best people to go to for advice. Both companies tend to slag each others coverage. The contract based products they pitch leave the nz small business at a loss as when I find out that the product doesn't work, i can't break the contract without paying for something that didn't work in the first place.

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Have them write it in to your contract you sign, that should coverage be insufficient to provide 'acceptable' service in your area, you are free to break it?

Nermal
01-09-2009, 01:49 PM
The Telecom plans are all available with an open term, although there's still the issue with paying for the modem.

wratterus
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Yeah it's mostly useless talking to the providers about their own product unfortunately. It would depend a bit on where the people would be. If it was mainly larger towns/cities and close by you'd be fine with Vodafone, but anywhere else, especially around rural South Island Telecom will provide you with the better service by far.

Chill's idea is very good - if the provider is happy to sign something like that you'll be fine no matter what happens.