PDA

View Full Version : Acronis Home 2009 on Domian PC

paulw
26-08-2009, 05:52 PM
After reading glowing reports about Acronis I download the 15 day trial and have done some testing here at work. Back and restore on stand along PCs were fine. On Monday I backed up my desktop which is a member of a MS sever 2003 domain. The backup was fine. I did both a on demand and scheduled. Today I install something that gave me a BSOD so I restored one of the backups. This was fine until I went to log back into the domain again . I couldn't . Said that the domain was not available. Tried the non scheduled backup and restored that , same result. The IT guy here found in the finish the only way to get back onto the domain was to disconnect me, reboot may PC and then reconnect me again. This worked.

S o I guess it's back to Ghost 2003 this PC which restores fine but I'll use Acronis for home use, No domain.

Anyone else come across this ??

wainuitech
26-08-2009, 06:00 PM
More than likely because you are trying to use a "home " product for usage its not meant for.

Thats why Acronis have dedicated software for servers and work stations.

paulw
26-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanx for confirming this.. That was my thought as well..

Mamaz_NZ
27-08-2009, 02:51 AM
Just to build on what WainuiTech has said, all computers on a domain have an objectSID record associated with them (think of them as computer account password - not the same as username / password but is required before a user can be allowed to logon).

When you restored the backup image - this SID (not sure how this is calculated or generated) on the computer must have been different to what your Domain Controllers have for that computer. This is one of the most common reasons why a home based recovery product would fail as they don't account for objectSID's.

To work around it, you IT guys needs to basically right click on the computer object (your comp name) on the Domain controlelr and hit Reset. Well, this is what I have read online but never actually tried it so may be worth giving it a go if you prefer to use Acronis. Also look into StorageCraft products - allows you to do hardware independant restores.

inphinity
27-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Would strongly suggest Acronis Backup & Recovery Workstation or above for a business environment, with the optional Universal Restore license, as that will also allow you to restore on to different hardware (great if a motherboard etc dies).