PDA

View Full Version : Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Modem Router

PENTIUM
26-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I presently have a DLink DSL G604T ADSL connecting XTRA broadband and providing wireless to P Cs around the house.
I have acquired a Netgear DG834G ADSL2 unit from a friend who had it going but who was sent a free Thomson unit which I installed for him.
I set it up here, at home, and have got it going WPA around the house but am unable to connect to the XTRA homepage. The Help desk tells me a signal is going through and they can detect it.They are not interested in supporting me further because they did not supply it. Netgear have 0800 support at $40 [Australian?] and twice I waited 20 minutes or so unsuccessfully, to talk to a person.
I have set the VCI 100 and VPI 0 and PPPoA VC.
I have the XTRA 202 27 158 40 and 202 27 156 72.

Can anyone give me the missing line? Please.

Renmoo
26-08-2009, 06:27 PM
but am unable to connect to the XTRA homepage --> Just Xtra homepage?

In addition, can you ping any website? Start > Run > cmd.exe > ping www.awebsite.com

Cheers :)

Capt Jimbo
26-08-2009, 06:39 PM
I also have this router. It took me a little bit of fiddling to set it up.
Your settings are correct so far.
I'm assuming you have used the wizard to set up the router. When I did that it took me so far then said it was ready (But it lied) :-)
If you haven't already try logging into the router and check the "Basic" settings

PS bloody nice router once it's working

Blam
26-08-2009, 07:33 PM
On a connected PC open cmd>ipconfig

Right Click anywhere in the window>select all>ctrl+C>paste here.

Blam

PENTIUM
26-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Many thanks for assistance. It was working on my friend's XTRA connection before I acquired it; I should have noted the settings.
As Capt Jimbo notes, the wizard only takes one some of the way with XTRA.
Yes, it pings O K.
Will proceed with your advice, blam6.

WarNox
26-08-2009, 10:54 PM
If you can ping the internet connection is fine. Could be your browser settings. Check that there is no proxy configured in IE/Firefox.

Is xtra the only website you can't get to or can you not get to other websites either, www.google.co.nz?

PENTIUM
27-08-2009, 12:16 PM
My computer performs O K with the D-Link wireless router.
The problem I have with the Netgear DG834G[when I swap over to it] is that the browser cannot find the host server.
Basically what I am looking for is the correct settings to connect to the Xtra server.
The Wizard only goes so far and then a manual entry is required.
Someone out there must have a Netgear ADSL 2 router connected to the Xtra server?

PENTIUM
27-08-2009, 01:16 PM
I downloaded the manual. I have now made a successful connection. Thanks for all who gave me advice.