PDA

View Full Version : no sound

penguin2
26-08-2009, 03:22 PM
the sound has gone off on the computer. Have checked the realtek HD Audio Manager and not on mute, working and at 62 level; sound/playback speakers are on and registering a sound level; volume mixer device and manage audio device is not muted and registering a volume level, speakers are on at mid volume and they buzz when i pull the connection out of the harddrive. any thoughts? :thanks

wainuitech
26-08-2009, 03:30 PM
What has changed since they were working Eg: updates, added anything in, Programs / Hardware ??

You can always try running system restore back to before they stopped working - See if that restores them.

pctek
26-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Try another set of speakers.

Uninstall audio and reinstall it.

penguin2
26-08-2009, 04:06 PM
I have loaded up a few games from Yahoo in the past few weeks (since the sound stopped) and have updated standard things like Comodo, Abode).
I tried to uninstall Realtek... but got message RunDLL C:\Prog~1\Common~1\Instal~1\Profes~1|RunTime\11\50 \Intel32\Ctor.dll the specific module could not be found
thanks

wainuitech
26-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Sounds (no Pun Intended) :p That the Audio Drives have gone AWOL.

Try this - may or may not work -- Download Driver Sweeper (http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/) - run it and select Realtek, hit Clean - remove all the Realtek Drivers, it will more than likely Need a reboot, then as Pctek mentioned - reinstall the drivers.

penguin2
30-08-2009, 07:05 PM
I downloaded Driver Sweeper [Download Free Driver Retriever (5.0MB)] and ran it but it kept asking for the licence key. I thought I was downloading the free software? so have made no progress here. thanks Helen

Blam
30-08-2009, 07:11 PM
I think you downloaded a rogue/fake version

Here is a direct link:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=1672&file=4&evp=6064230b50eaecb7c2a06a6f1cb40a1d

penguin2
31-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks for that, but from what I'm reading you need the "Driver Robot" to download the Realtek HD audio card driver. This Driver Robot needs registration/payment. Thanks Helen

wainuitech
31-08-2009, 09:07 AM
The correct download links for driver Sweeper are about halfway down the page on the Left, where it says:

Download:

* Click here to Download (with installer)
* Click here to Download (no installer, pure binaries).

The first one - Its free.

Just under the links is a picture of what the program looks like.

Select Realtek - This will remove the drivers if they are still there but damaged.

Then you reinstall the audio drivers-- forget about any programs that go looking for driver updates, god knows what half of them will bring through.(usually malware)

If you have the original Drivers on CD that came with the computer use those, other wise go to the motherboard manufactures website and download from there.

penguin2
01-09-2009, 09:06 AM
thanks wainuitech - I'm trying REALLY hard but still getting "registration key/payment needed".
I went to your link on 26/08/09 7.35pm, got the Guru3D page, found "download with installer" button half way down page, got sent to second page with blue/yellow "download now" box for the Guru3D Driver Sweeper at the top of the page, then got sent down to the bottom of that page with a large picture of "windows vista/driver update", got sent to another page with "Driver Robot", which when installed required the registration key stuff.
:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Get them off the realtek site (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false) Make sure you get the version, for your version of windows

wainuitech
01-09-2009, 01:02 PM
thanks wainuitech - I'm trying REALLY hard but still getting "registration key/payment needed".
I went to your link on 26/08/09 7.35pm, got the Guru3D page, found "download with installer" button half way down page, got sent to second page with blue/yellow "download now" box for the Guru3D Driver Sweeper at the top of the page, then got sent down to the bottom of that page with a large picture of "windows vista/driver update", got sent to another page with "Driver Robot", which when installed required the registration key stuff.
:thanks To download the program -- EXACT steps: With Pictures :)

Click on the First installer link - next page - Click on Download Now (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Download_Now.jpg) - next page - Download ( Europe) (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Download_2.jpg) - next page - Scroll down, click on I AGREE (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Agree.jpg) - A download box will appear, save the file someplace you can find it, (Desktops good).

Next double click the exe file and follow through the install - using default settings. When you run it, you will get This window (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Drive_Sweeper.PNG) - Clickon Realtek - then click clean - accept any pop ups - you will need to reboot, the audio may try and auto install again, if it does and it gives the option to cancel, cancel - install the correct drivers from the realtek site as speedy posted DONT use that robot program.

penguin2
03-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I successfully downloaded Driver sweeper. And loaded the Realtek program from Acer.co.nz (my hardware) but still not working. Also tried the HD file from the Realtek website. Also tried a system restore (it said it was going back one day but it appeared to go back further?). Sound still not working.
I have another set of speakers that came with the new computer that was replaced roughly 18 months ago and plugged the rectangular plug into the front of the computer and the small plug into the back of the computer into the blue hole. May not have done this correctly but no sound.
Have looked at Realtek Audio Manager again and saying that speakers working and no mutes on anywhere.
:thanks

wainuitech
03-09-2009, 01:28 PM
The Audio is normally Green - and has a 3.5mm round plug.
plugged the rectangular plug into the front of the computer Rectangular Plug :confused: What plug is that ????????? Do you mean a USB ?

What sort of speakers do you have?

penguin2
03-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes a USB plug. The speakers are the ones from the old computer (DTA brandname - nothing flash). They have been working fine (until the sound stopped a few weeks ago). The speakers have always been plugged into the blue socket at the back of the harddrive with no problems. Have tried both the blue and green sockets.
Thanks!

wainuitech
03-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Try opening the HD control Panle, normally a orange /brown speaker in the Icon Tray.
Once open look for something like "audio Input" - make sure the speakers are showing as being connected. Look also for a Small Spanner Icon - if its there open it and see whats ticked and whats not - advice back here.

Also go into the control Panel, Sounds and audio devices, under the Audio tab, make sure the Audio is set to realtek.

IF its still having problems - I'd suggest you boot up the PC form something Like a Linux Live CD, Run FROM THE CD - dont install - that will load in default audio drivers without touching your current OS - see if the sounds working -if it is then we know its a software problem.

JohnnyR
04-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. Checked everything out and eventually discovered that the sound card had stopped working. Not that common a fault but it does happen.

JR

penguin2
13-09-2009, 12:18 PM
IF its still having problems - I'd suggest you boot up the PC form something Like a Linux Live CD, Run FROM THE CD - dont install - that will load in default audio drivers without touching your current OS - see if the sounds working -if it is then we know its a software problem.

Opened the orange symbol and in the sound manager the speakers are on, not muted, set to 50% and set to 24bits 48000 Hz (studio). The 'line in' was on, not muted, set to 50% and default was 16bits 441000 (CD). I didn't have a spanner icon but had an "information" icon - it said version 6.0.1.5334, directx version 10.0, controller HD audion and codec ALC883.
Sounds and audio Devices: speaker not muted and set to 50%, playback speakers on. Set to Realtek under sounds speakers.
Haven't done the rebooting as I need to look up google how to do the last paragraph (later).
Cheers! helen