PDA

View Full Version : Syncback problems

R.M.
25-08-2009, 07:49 PM
After my recent 'puter problems which included a new HDD and using my Acronis backup file of C Drive, I find that now Syncback doesn't work.

When I put a test file (photo) in the Source and run Syncback, the programme reports success, but the test file hasn't gone to the Destination.

I've redone the Source/Destination several times, with no success.

The only other odd ball thing is that I'm having problems also with Windows Installer (and consequently can't reinstall iTunes). Is the any probability that the two problems are connected?

And if I can't use Syncback - then what?

I would prefer backing up of files without name change, just location change.

As always - TIA. :)

Blam
25-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Have you tried reinstalling syncback?

There are other alternatives, but lets find out the root cause before we think about those.

What is wrong with Windows Installer exactly? Errors? Print screens?

Blam

Phil B
25-08-2009, 11:14 PM
The file I downloaded from the syncback site gave me grief, nothing worked as it should. Uninstalled it & installed the old version on thats on this months disc ( I think ) & it all worked ok. (W7). Upgraded to the new version ( I just can't help it ) upgraded the already installed syncback & it works ok. It just didn't like the new version to start with, dunno why..

R.M.
26-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Have you tried reinstalling syncback?

There are other alternatives, but lets find out the root cause before we think about those.

What is wrong with Windows Installer exactly? Errors? Print screens?

Blam

Yes, I've reinstalled Syncback. No change.
I disabled Windows Installer (through msconfig etc), but then reinstalled it, and I see it is there ok again.
The error message (a bit skimpy and not much use)occurs when I try to install iTunes. It just says 'The installer encountered errors etc and no changes were made' or words along those lines.

So - not much help, and I see I really have two problems - Syncback (this bothers me more) and iTunes (and I can work around that by using my laptop for that).

I might try Phil's idea of installing an old version of Syncback - just to see if that helps (that will be tonight at this stage).

pctek
26-08-2009, 09:07 AM
There are some choices with Syncback.
Modify your profile and take a look at what you have told it to do.
You may have not selected Sub-FOlders.

R.M.
26-08-2009, 01:35 PM
There are some choices with Syncback.
Modify your profile and take a look at what you have told it to do.
You may have not selected Sub-FOlders.

I'm not at home at the moment, so can't check, but I remember that Sub-Folders are selected. I'll look at it again, and ponder what I may have stuffed up. Thx.

pctek
26-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Make sure the subfolders (and all files in them) are in the main folder you are backing up too. SOunds obvious but I had a customer who hadn't chosen the right one.......
There are "selected" sub-folders, all sub-folders, or no subfolders choices.

R.M.
26-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Have a look at this to see what you think I have done wrong. Sometimes I can't see what is in front of my nose... :(

R.M.
26-08-2009, 07:37 PM
installed the old version on thats on this months disc ( I think ) & it all worked ok. (W7).

Didn't work...:groan:

Blam
26-08-2009, 08:35 PM
How about alternatives such as GoodSync or Synctoy?
http://www.goodsync.com/

Blam

R.M.
26-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Oops - just lost/deleted 5 years worth of photos - thank g... for my 'belt & braces' approach to photo backup... Now frantically restoring all of that.

Reminder to self:Test the b... thing first... :badpc:

gary67
26-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Looked at your screenshot it's exactly the same as one of mine and htey all work OK to a networked drive on another computer.

Why is your destination called Seagate/Rosies? is it a USB drive or a networked drive?

R.M.
26-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Why is your destination called Seagate/Rosies? is it a USB drive or a networked drive?

It's a folder on (one of)the Seagate external drives (USB connection) - no more logic than that. :blush:

Phil B
26-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I've got it on 2 computers. The win7 comp backs ups to an external & an internal hard drive. Different things going different places. The xp comp backs up to a flash drive on a usb hub. Both been going fine for a few weeks now. If you're backing up between 2 computers you could use windows live sync. I use it for my work (boring) stuff

R.M.
27-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Well, I don't know! I think I've lost the plot completely. :(

I managed to lose five years of photos (and reinstalled them again). Tonight I have conducted a much more organised test - and lo - everything is AOK.:clap

Gremlins, was I just too tired and did something daft? Who knows? But for the moment...

PS - GoodSync didn't copy RAW files, and most of my pics from the last year are RAW :(

pctek
27-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Looks perfect to me.