PDA

View Full Version : I Saved myself $900

Thomas01
25-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Actually I nearly paid $900 too much.
It started when we had one of those annoying phone calls at night asking if we wanted to install insulation. Well we were actively thinking of doing just that so asked for a free quote.
The chap who called was not only the salesman but also the owner - fitter and general dogsbody. Recently started and trying to build up.
He gave us a quote for wool insulation and underfloor as well.
I accepted it, but when he had gone realized he had only given us 30% discount - we are gold card holders so entitled to 60%
I decided to ring him. No name, address, or telephone number on the quote. He wasn't in the White Pages.
So when he turned up the next day complete with materials I told him the deal was off. He admitted several things.
His quote was an old one and he immediately gave us a new one with the missing information on it. I advised him to use his surname when signing quotes - not his first name.
He showed us he was in the telephone book - in the yellow pages - quite a good advert.
Then he stated he could not give us 60% discount as he had signed up with the authorities too late to be able to use the 60% and is limited to 30% for the moment. I'm not sure I believe him
But then he offered to do the job at 60% off and would stand the loss himself - just to get more work and be able to pay his temporary helper.
With $900 off I agreed - the price was probably still a little higher than I could have got but by then I felt he was really trying. He did a superb job - not only insulating better than I would have done but under the floor used the usual poly panels and also wool at the ends. Although our under floor is dry he also put down black insulation on it which had a filling - I had never seen this before.
We had mentioned we may be selling. He was very interested in buying if we do. (Ordinary 3 bed house but a massive garage with an extra storage floor at one end - ideal for his business). I guess that encouraged him to extra effort.
I would definately recommend him now but I do point out to
any other gold card holders to watch out for the correct discount.
Anybody else had similar experience ?

pctek
25-08-2009, 02:09 PM
It started when we had one of those annoying phone calls at night asking if we wanted to install insulation.

realized he had only given us 30% discount - we are gold card holders so entitled to 60%

Then he stated he could not give us 60% discount as he had signed up with the authorities too late to be able to use the 60% and is limited to 30% for the moment.

What authorities? DId he do this under that scheme?

http://www.energywise.govt.nz/funding-available/insulation-and-clean-heating?gclid=CPPzosfPvZwCFcEtpAodZ1Qnug

The government provides funding to the levels outlined below.

Insulation
All eligible houses 33% of the total cost up to $1300 (incl GST) $500 (incl GST)
Homeowners who hold Community Services Cards 60% of the total cost $1200 (incl GST)

If thats what he meant then thats crap, you have to apply for it first.

Thomas01
25-08-2009, 03:11 PM
If thats what he meant then thats crap, you have to apply for it first.

Yes that's my feeling. But he really did a first class job with LOTS of material. So I was pleased.

And sometimes I find with government processes there is a lot more garbage than you expect. I read a notice in my doctors surgery recently about the fact that we were entitled to assistance in paying our doctors increased bills.
I tried - and tried.

But the paper work and form filling I ran up against stopped me completely. And I should be the sort of person who is able to cope with that sort of junk. I was involved myself years ago designing formats for European co-operation in things like Concorde and Jaguar aircraft etc. Trying to keep things simple when government officials are involved is hopeless. Shades of Yes Minister.
Tom

pctek
26-08-2009, 09:06 AM
My parents got a heat pump and the insulation through the scheme. They seem happy with it, impressed with the 2 separate companies that came to do it and forms were not a hassle to fill out.