PDA

View Full Version : One Small Problem...

LarsJohann
25-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Hello, i've just finished building a computer and i've now go it running on Windows XP Pro but i've noticed something rather annoying. Every once and a while, the entire computer will freeze and lock up. After that, i'm forced to do a manual shutdown by pressing the button. I'm not sure if it's a Windows problem or a hardware problem but here are my specs:

Asus M3N78 Pro Motherboard
Amd Athlon DualCore 7750 MMX 2.7Ghz
1Gb DDR2 RAM (but for some reason will only show 894mb available :s)
Smartdisk Firelite 200GB USB Hard Drive
Maxtor 6E040L0 40GB IDE Hard Drive
LG 8.5GB DVD-R/RW SATA Disk Drive

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out. Thanks for the help.

stormdragon
25-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Have a look in event viewer within Windows (Run "eventvwr") and see if theres any errors around the time of lock up.

If you want to test hardware download UBCD and run a few stress tests on the memory, hdd and cpu and see if any problems occur.

Your lost RAM will have been given over to the integrated graphics.

LarsJohann
25-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Ok i've looked in the Event Viewer and there's no errors under System. I'm downloading UBCD right now so i'll have to wait. Do i need to boot from this CD once i've burned the ISO to the disc? Or can i just pop it in the drive an run it without restarting the computer?

Cato
25-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Thought I'd mention the obvious.. Is the CPU fan running? What about the north/south bridge fans (if any)?

gary67
25-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Yes you will need to boot from the UBCD CD

LarsJohann
25-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Yes, the CPU fan is running, obviously :) And i dont have any North or South Bridge fans on the mobo. And the CPU fan/heatsink is securely mounted ontop of the CPU. But, then again, it seems like the type of problem that would happen if the CPU overheats... What would you guys say is a good and stable temperature for the CPU?

gary67
25-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Probably under 75 I'm guessing my Intel E4600 is currently sitting on 32, but the P4 in my file server sits around 65

Cato
25-08-2009, 09:42 AM
See what you come up with, at MAX USAGE I wouldn't want it to be higher than 65C - going by old AMD K8s. Not sure how mcuh heat newer multicores displace.

Idle in the low 30s.

Speedy Gonzales
25-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Update the BIOS. One update fixes a system freezing prob, when using certain memory (0603). The BIOS is up to 1102. And is here (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?). Type the mobo in the top left hand corner

Blam
25-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I'd say RAM. Do a test as soon as the UBCD has finished downloading..

LarsJohann
25-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Hey Speedy, i see 10 different BIOS updates for my Motherboard, you suggest i get the newest one? Which is version 1203.

LarsJohann
25-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Ok, so i've done a Memory Test and a CPU Stress test. Seems nothing is wrong. Also, i'm going to try and update my BIOS but i'm a little confused. If i hit the " How to update your BIOS?" button on the page it brings me here.
http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?root=198&SLanguage=en-us

I'm not really sure which model mine is because mine just says M3N78 Pro.

pctek
25-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Every once and a while, the entire computer will freeze and lock up.

1Gb DDR2 RAM (but for some reason will only show 894mb available

Ok i've looked in the Event Viewer and there's no errors under System.

Because if you have onboard graphics rather than a separate graphics card - it pinches a bit to use.

Look under Application as well in Event Viewer.

And, no-one has mentioned the obvious - have you done malware scans?

LarsJohann
25-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Well, this computer is brand new, i just set it up yesterday. I built it myself. So i wouldnt really see why there would be malware. I'll do a scan anyway though. It wouldnt hurt. Also, i think the BIOS is the answer though. It says it improves performance when using an AM2 CPU (which i am using) and resolve problem when using a certain memory.

Speedy Gonzales
25-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Hey Speedy, i see 10 different BIOS updates for my Motherboard, you suggest i get the newest one? Which is version 1203.

Ah no its 1102, not 1203, according to the ASUS site. Dont know where you got 1203 from. If it says M3N78 Pro on the mobo, you get the M3N78 Pro BIOS update, which is here (http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M3N78_PRO/1102.zip)

If you use the program to update it in windows, DOWNLOAD the update, then load it. DON'T use the program to check then update the BIOS. It'll probably freeze, then youre screwed.

Or unzip the BIOS update, put it on a flash drive, then flash it from the BIOS

LarsJohann
26-08-2009, 09:41 AM
I updated my BIOS, it didnt really fix anything. The version i had was higher then the one with the fix. But i updated to the newest one. However, i believe the reason my computer is freezing now is because of my wireless internet adapter. It's not a good adapter and whenever my computer crashes, i relog into windows and i get an error saying there was a problem with the program the adapter uses. I look in the event viewer and the errors all have to do with my adapter. The adapter is pretty rubish aswell. You guys think that could be what is causing my computer to freeze? I've read on the internet too that other peoples computers are freezing due to this adapter. It's a D-Link WUA-2340.

wainuitech
26-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Simple way to figure out if its the adapter -- Take it out - If it stops freezing then yep thats the problem. Is This the one you have (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=473) - I personally have found USB and wireless dont always want to play nice together, have dealt with one person who had one of those, and it caused all sorts of problems ( that was on an older Laptop though) - since its a desktop PC, you would be better off with a PCI Wireless adapter.

Agent_24
26-08-2009, 12:18 PM
If you find it was the USB WiFi causing the problem, perhaps try new drivers for it?

LarsJohann
26-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah, that's the adapter i've got. But then again, it's not that big of a problem now since i reinstalled the drivers. It freezes maybe once everyday. Is it freezing bad for my computer? Because for the moment i dont have the money for a PCI adapter.

LarsJohann
26-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Okay. Now i'm almost certain it's the adapter. I just received a BSOD with the following message :

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x02B16005, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x7c91A382)

And here's what i found:

(Taken from: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=308429):

"Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services."

And here's the log in my event viewer:

"Error code 100000d1, parameter1 02b16005, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 7c91a382."

Also, here's something else from (http://reviews.cnet.com/adapters-nics/d-link-rangebooster-g/4852-3380_7-32034571.html):

"Blue Screen of Death Generator - Avoid this procuct"

by Toscane on May 1, 2008

Pros: USB Form Factor

Cons: Causes the computer to freeze on a regular basis which creates hard disk corruption"

If anyone has more information let me know. Thanks for the help guys :)

wainuitech
26-08-2009, 01:45 PM
I think you have answered your own previous question:

Cons: Causes the computer to freeze on a regular basis which creates hard disk corruption.

So Yeah -- Not always good.

If you want something "cheapish" in the way of PCI cards, I have used These Before (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=344872) as well as These (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=9355946). ( they are from Ascent Under Wireless (http://www.ascent.co.nz/Category.aspx?majorcatID=67) Adapters, Half way down the Page ).

LarsJohann
26-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Okay thanks alot. I'm glad to know i've figured this out now. Is 54mbps relatively a good speed?

LarsJohann
28-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Hello again. I'm pretty much sure it's my internet adapter that's causing the problem but i just want to make sure of something. I've noticed that everytime my computer crashed, i had my torrent program, uTorrent opened. So i thought maybe that was the problem. So i switched to another program, BitComet. And basically for the whole day it hasnt crashed until about 45 minutes ago. I'm just wondering if anyone knows a way to optimize the client or something because i'm thinking the client (or my actual connection isn't optimized properly). And everytime that my computer has crashed, a torrent program has been opened. :s

Blam
28-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Your internet shouldn't have anything to do with your PC freezing, unless you've caught a nasty virus off P2P..

LarsJohann
28-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Oh ok i see. I guess it's the adapter then. So your saying even if i optimize the torrent program properly it wouldnt matter? If so, i guess i better go pick up a new PCI card.

Blam
28-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Oh ok i see. I guess it's the adapter then. So your saying even if i optimize the torrent program properly it wouldnt matter? If so, i guess i better go pick up a new PCI card.

I don't understand what you mean by "optimize"

:confused:

LarsJohann
28-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Sorry :p

What i mean is even if i configured the program to run aswell as possible, it still wouldnt matter. I also have another question by the way :)

You think the reason my computer will freeze more when my torrent programs are open is because it's using all my bandwith therefore using the adapter all the time since it's downloading stuff? And could BitTorrent programs be freezing my computer somehow?

Speedy Gonzales
28-08-2009, 12:40 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if youre infected with something.

wainuitech
28-08-2009, 12:49 PM
A Real simple test - Turn off the P2P programs, if it still doesn't work, then there is something wrong, more than likely as Speedy said - infections or simply the adaptor needs filing in the rubbish bin :eek:

Peopel like myself see, and others who work on PC's this almost every day - Torrent / P2P programs and PC's with infections / Problems - its almost as if the two are meant to go together.

Not so much the programs, but whats downloaded.

Agent_24
28-08-2009, 01:06 PM
I think USB WiFi adaptors just can't handle something as demanding as Bittorrent. There may be some kind of setting you can change in your torrent client to lighten the load on the adaptor (try the uTorrent forums might be a good idea)

I think this has something to do with the large amount of connections bittorrent opens and maintains, eg: trying to use Kad network in eMule on my old dialup connection always cause the modem to drop the connection. And bittorrent didn't do much good for my old DSL-302G either.

It might be all that is needed is to limit the amount of connections for bittorrent to a lower number

Of course before you do this, try running the WiFi all day but NOT using bittorrent, then you will know if it's bittorrent or not

A proper PCI WiFi card (or even better, wired ethernet) might be the best way to go, though.

PENTIUM
28-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Also your 'shortfall' on the memory is probably the video assignment.

PENTIUM
28-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Also, how old is your power supply and what capacity does it have?

hueybot3000
28-08-2009, 06:36 PM
If it was psu wouldnt it reboot when it crashed (like it resets itself)?

Everything points to the adapter, if theres even a review stating that it creates the exact problem your having then start with that.

When i lived at parents I was on wireless and i torrented alot with no issues, that was with a belkin adapter