PDA

View Full Version : Problem with multiple PC's gaming on wireless

mOOseCaNNoN
24-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi again,

I live in a separate building from the house so to get the internet on my PC I have to connect to the broadband modem in the house via a wireless router that's plugged into the adsl modem. To get my desktop PC on the network/internet I used to just use a DLink wireless USB adapter but have more than one PC in my room so instead of buying another USB adapter I configured a wireless router I already owned into client mode to be a receiver, this wireless router plugs into a switch in my room so any PC I plug into the switch gets and IP address from the adsl modem and can use the internet (got help getting it going in this thread (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=102424)).

I now have a problem with lag when two PC's try to game online at the same time (counter-strike source).
If I connect to a server on one machine it works fine, i have around 20-30 ping (latency) and is stable with no lag, as soon as the second computer in my room joins a server my ping skyrockets and sits around 600 to 700 and is un playable (happens on both pc's). I know that at least three people can be gaming without lag on my internet connection because we all used to live in the house and be hardwired to the modem, three of us would play counter-strike happily with 20-30 ping even on different servers at the same time, therefore i put it down to be a problem with the wireless.

is wireless G just too useless, maybe is my cheap camio wireless router?
CS Source uses roughly around 10k download and 5k upload at any given time so is not a terrible amount of bandwidth, two people can play on a connection with 128k up, and at least three on a 'as fast as the line can go' upload speed (which I have).

I have tried plugging in the Dlink wireless usb dongle into one pc and using the other pc through the switch which is connected to the wirless router/AP but it does the same thing (700 ping).

My broadband plan is fullup/fulldown and the wireless router is a cheap camio wireless G.

CYaBro
24-08-2009, 03:39 PM
When you use the USB adapter what sort of signal strength are you getting?
Wireless-G should be fine for gaming IF you have a good signal..
Remember that with wireless the bandwidth is shared between all users and the 'real life' G speeds are only 20-25mb/s with a good signal.

mOOseCaNNoN
24-08-2009, 03:46 PM
signal is usually good (54Megabits) however sometimes drops to 14 or 28, I'm aware that the bandwidth is shared but was still confused as to why a game with low bandwidth demands wouldn't let two people game on the same wireless connection.
When the USB adapter has low signal, gaming is still fine (20-30 ping) providing you're the only one on the wirless that is gaming.
What I'll do is move the wireless router in the house to the window sil so there is a line of site between the wireless router and my room and see if that makes a difference. I understand that if signal is low there can be quite a few lost packets ?

Cheers Bro

SolMiester
24-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Oh come on guys, wireless gaming...?...lag...2?...never going to happen...you can have as good a signal as you like, but the wireless encapsulation is always going to cause lag over direct wired connection, x that by 2!

mOOseCaNNoN
24-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm afraid wireless is my only option

nofam
24-08-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm afraid wireless is my only option

I know it's an expensive option, but is EoP an option?

mOOseCaNNoN
24-08-2009, 09:10 PM

the wireless access points were free, and the wireless usb dongle was a birthday present. So it's actually free. I could dig a hole across the lawn and lay some condiut for an ethernet cable but to be honest I'd rather not lol. sorry whats EoP ?

Blam
24-08-2009, 09:15 PM

:xmouth:

Bad for gaming. Only reason you would want to use it over wireless is because its stable..

GameJunkie
24-08-2009, 09:17 PM
it stands for Power over Ethernet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

nofam
24-08-2009, 09:18 PM
:xmouth:

Bad for gaming. Only reason you would want to use it over wireless is because its stable..

Yeah true - guess the latency isn't any better/worse than wireless?

mOOseCaNNoN
24-08-2009, 09:18 PM
it stands for Power over Ethernet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

I'm pretty sure poe is power over ethernet ?

the latency is fine when one person is gaming. It just doesn't make sense why it should skyrocket when two people are ?

Blam
24-08-2009, 09:26 PM
He means Ethernet over Power.

I sometimes get the two confused too:p

mOOseCaNNon...Plug both PCs into the switch directly and see if this happens....something sounds fishy to me!

mOOseCaNNoN
24-08-2009, 09:44 PM
hehe, yeah it happened initially when both pc's were plugged into the switch. so i tried the dongle after that, same thing happened

Blam
24-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Try updating firmware on the router. Or a reset

mOOseCaNNoN
24-08-2009, 10:19 PM
sweet, will do

Chilling_Silence
25-08-2009, 07:24 AM
You're especially going to notice lag if its going over a wireless bridge ... Unfortunately gaming + wifi is not good. I play DotA and use WC3Banlist so I can see the real-time latency of the players. I can always tell when one of my mates is on WiFi in his room because his pings bounce all over the show, its just not worthwhile unfortunately.

Ethernet over Power may work better:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication

I've run multiple VoIP calls over EoP just fine, gaming would fall in a similar boat, just with lower bandwidth requirements ;)

mOOseCaNNoN
30-08-2009, 07:14 PM
ok It works fine now... lol. two pc's gaming using the wireless bridge and one laptop browsing, ping is fine, 20-40ms and no lag not even when laptop browsing facebook/trademe. The only thing I changed was I moved the wireless router in the house to the window so the signal strength was better... yay xD