PDA

View Full Version : best open source web CMS ?

mOOseCaNNoN
24-08-2009, 03:49 PM
helloo,

I'm playing around with Joomla at the moment, this is my first CMS that I'm playing with and was just wondering if there are any similar and/or better open source web CMS's out there?

any input or experience welcome xD

Cheers

somebody
24-08-2009, 04:08 PM
It depends on what you mean by "best", or "better".

I run several websites for non-profit organisations, which simply use Wordpress with Gallery2 integrated into it. Wordpress is dead easy to use, even for people who aren't very computer literate, and has all the functionality that these organisations need (want to post something on the front page - i.e latest news? Hit the "Create Post" link. Want to create a static page for something? Hit the "Create Page" link). Systems like Joomla etc. are simply too complex, and contain features which simply won't get used.

If you need tons of functionality, you could also look at Drupal, Silverstripe (a CMS made right here in NZ) among others.

mOOseCaNNoN
24-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks somebody, true I didnt specify what I wanted to use it for so thanks for your description of Wordpress, I'd just like to play with features etc. Ultimately I want to look at building a website that has different logical views for different user groups. e.g. if you're an admin you'll be able to see one module/content, if you're a super user you'll see this module but not the admins one, if you're an ordinary use you'll see this module etc. possibly integrate a forum as well. I have basic/intermediate skills in web design and web programming.

Blam
24-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Joomla can easily achieve that. There's also a large amount of plugins, and great support.

Go for Drupal if you need something even more extensive

mOOseCaNNoN
24-08-2009, 04:20 PM
wonderful, I'll probably stick with Joomla. cheers blam

somebody
24-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Although I haven't used it myself, apparently Moodle (a LMS tool) can also do some of what you want.

hueybot3000
24-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Im the opposite of blam, I would've gone drupal for simplicity. I find drupals interface a bit easier. But joomla definitely has a bigger plugin support

mOOseCaNNoN
24-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Cool, might check out drupal as well

babip
24-08-2009, 05:09 PM
I am neither a webguru or developer, but I find Joomla quite good. Specially with its largely available plugins,free templates and support forum.
Joomla +1

robbyp
24-08-2009, 05:15 PM
The problem with Joomla, is that you have to keep it up to date with the latest version of Joomla, so you have to build that into the cost of running the website. I have seen too many Joomla websites hacked, becuase they haen't been kept upto date. The same is true with any CMS, but Joomla seems to get more hacked than others I have found, perhaps becuase like windows, it is more used than other CMS. Wordpress is good, and simple to use.

mOOseCaNNoN
24-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm planning on pre-fixing the tables with something random, making sure error reporting / debugging is turned off when implemented etc. and will be doing regular backups