PDA

View Full Version : Different motherboards, same chipset - reinstall everything?

qazwsxokmijn
22-08-2009, 10:28 PM
I probably need a new motherboard sometime soon due to my problem with the current one - a pin in the CPU socket is bent, but the PC seemingly runs OK. There were a couple of unexplained BSoDs, but that was it. Plus it makes a whining electrical noise during heavy CPU load.

My P5K is based on the P35 chipset, and so if I get another P35-based motherboard will there be any problems? I expect Vista may ask to be activated again or something, but will it cause me any grief? Because the last time I switched motherboards (different chipsets) I had a lot of trouble. Oh, and the replacement motherboard I'm looking at also has the same southbridge, which if I understand correctly controls the HDD, so the HDD will detect it as the same chipset to manage it, right?

Thanks for any input! :)

SolMiester
23-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Most of the issues from motherboard change is the SATA controller for HDD, but thats okay, just change the devices to generic in device manager 1st, hasnt failed me yet, even going AMD to Intel

qazwsxokmijn
23-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Ah....cheers Sol. You don't happen to have a cheap P5K-series motherboard around do you? The one I was eyeing, a P5K/EPU has the dumbest layout ever.....look at where the 20+4 pin connector is on that thing.

pctek
23-08-2009, 07:52 AM
I probably need a new motherboard sometime soon due to my problem with the current one - a pin in the CPU socket is bent, but the PC seemingly runs OK. There were a couple of unexplained BSoDs, but that was it. Plus it makes a whining electrical noise during heavy CPU load.
)

Pin? The pins are on the CPU - not in the motherboard.

And the elctrical noise - you sure it's coming from the motherboard? Could be a fan, or some other part - graphics card possibly.

As for swapping boards, I'm about to do that for a friend, I'd give it a go, with similar chipsets it shouldn't be a problem. This one I'm doing is a different chipset but still the same brand board and I'm going to try it anyway.

nedkelly
23-08-2009, 08:00 AM
I thought on Intel cpus that the pins were on the motherboard and just connectors on the cpu. Only AMD use pins on the cpu still.

pcuser42
23-08-2009, 08:21 AM
I thought on Intel cpus that the pins were on the motherboard and just connectors on the cpu. Only AMD use pins on the cpu still.

Yep - Intel's socket 775 has pins on the motherboard, not on the CPU.

Sorry, pctek.

qazwsxokmijn
23-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Pin? The pins are on the CPU - not in the motherboard.

And the elctrical noise - you sure it's coming from the motherboard? Could be a fan, or some other part - graphics card possibly.

As for swapping boards, I'm about to do that for a friend, I'd give it a go, with similar chipsets it shouldn't be a problem. This one I'm doing is a different chipset but still the same brand board and I'm going to try it anyway.
It's a socket 775 pctek. I had a thread about this problem a while back.

Electrical noise.....99% sure it is the motherboard. It only happens when the CPU is put on heavy load, and I can't hear anything from the other components, vid card etc.

I'll try swapping boards when I find a suitable one.....as I said the P5K/EPU I was looking at was designed by some idiot....the 20+4 connector won't allow cable management for the fattest cable there is.

Agent_24
24-08-2009, 09:17 AM
You may not have a problem

From my experience a Socket 370 VIA (apollo pro?) chipset to Socket A with VIA KT400, same old install of windows booted up fine

pctek
24-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I thought on Intel cpus that the pins were on the motherboard.

Ah yes. An alzheimers moment there........:o