PDA

View Full Version : migrating files

mjolnvaar
22-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Next week my shiny new beast of a machine will be complete, and I want to migrate about 60gb worth of files from my current computer over to it. Both will have XP home.

The new machine has a 1tb drive, and the old one has an 80gb one. I do not want to keep using the old hdd, I just want to move the files from it. Whats the best way to do this?

Many thanks

wainuitech
22-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Connect the two PC's together Via Ethernet cross over cable or Switch/Router, share folders on both PC's, copy paste from old machine to new.

Programs will need to be reinstalled.

johnd
22-08-2009, 07:29 PM
The "best" method depends on your skills. The options might be:
1. Network together via an ethernet xover cable.
2. Temporarily connect the old drive to the new PC.
3. Put the old drive in a USB case.
4. ....

Blam
22-08-2009, 08:12 PM
If they're desktops then you could also remove the HD and slave it into the other PC

mjolnvaar
22-08-2009, 09:52 PM
If they're desktops then you could also remove the HD and slave it into the other PC

Thats what I was thinking, but is it gonna work? Do I just plug it into the new computer and thats it?

Networking isnt an option.

Basically I need to know what happens when you plug an hdd with xp installed into a different computer, also with xp.

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Basically I need to know what happens when you plug an hdd with xp installed into a different computer, also with xp.

Nothing it just gets detected as another hdd. Just remember to jumper it properly (if its IDE). Then , you can copy from that hdd to the one thats already installed. BUT, as WT said, you'll have to reinstall programs. You may have to change the bootdisk to the main hdd (after you connect the other hdd tho), it may change to the bootdisk

Blam
23-08-2009, 12:48 PM
As speedy said it should be as simple and plugging it in and using it as another HD.

SolMiester
24-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Well, to get both FILES and SETTINGS (including e-mail accounts, messages etc) I would use the migration wizard! If its not under system tools, it will be on the CD or available from MS to DL