PDA

View Full Version : External HardDrive

Agoge
22-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi Folks

While I'm new here, I don't know if the problem I have is new.

I hadn't sent anything to my external WD hard drive for three or four weeks, but this morning in attempting to do so, I discovered that it my computer no longer recognizes it!

I don't know what's happened or what has caused this annoying development.

I'm running Windows XP.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Steve

Blam
22-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Can you see it in device manager(run>devmgmt.msc)

Or in disk management? (run>diskmgmt.msc)

If you can see it in device manager, right click>uninstall and reboot

Blam

pctek
23-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Take it out, hook it up internally, then see if the BIOS sees it. If not, its dead. If it does, do a chkdsk on it to see if the file structure is OK.

nedkelly
23-08-2009, 08:58 AM
I know this sounds stupid but have you made sure that it is still connected to the pc?

Agoge
23-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Can you see it in device manager(run>devmgmt.msc)

Or in disk management? (run>diskmgmt.msc)

If you can see it in device manager, right click>uninstall and reboot

Blam

Hi blam6

No, can't see it in either disk management or device manager.

Agoge
23-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Take it out, hook it up internally, then see if the BIOS sees it. If not, its dead. If it does, do a chkdsk on it to see if the file structure is OK.

Hi pctek

I'm afraid I'm not computer savvy enough to hook it up internally. I have a suspicion that you may be right and the blasted thing is dead. Have only had it a year, too.

Agoge
23-08-2009, 09:56 AM
I know this sounds stupid but have you made sure that it is still connected to the pc?

Hi nedkelly

That's the first thing I checked. Unplugged and replugged it several times to make sure. No response on any of the occasions that I did so.

nedkelly
23-08-2009, 09:58 AM
What happens when you turn it on?

nedkelly
23-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Sorry had to ask, had the same problem with a mate of mine, wasted 1/4 a tank of fuel getting to his house to find that the hard drive had the cable in it but not in the pc. Was more then a little annoyed.

Agoge
23-08-2009, 11:37 AM
What happens when you turn it on?

That's the thing, I disconnect both the power and the USB connection, reconnect them both again but with no response from my computer.

I'd like to think that there was a fix, but it might be dead.:groan:

What do you think?

nedkelly
23-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Is it an internal drive in a case or an external only?
Do you have another computer to try it on?

ronyville
23-08-2009, 11:48 AM
If you hold the External HDD when the power is on, can you feel any movement in the drive? Or hear the HDD is actually spinning? Could possible be that the power connector has faulted. You could try putting it in a different external case.

Lurking
23-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Hi Agoge, have you had any luck yet?.

WD 750gb on this pc went dead three weeks ago. Problem was the adaptor, they have replaced all 7pin adaptors as they were causing problems.

They have replaced the old with a new WD 750gig drive, 3 pin I think and they transferred all of the data on the old one for free.

Noel Leeming purchase.

Lurking.

Capt.Hook
23-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Like nedkelly said....try it on another computer.

Agoge
24-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi Agoge, have you had any luck yet?.

WD 750gb on this pc went dead three weeks ago. Problem was the adaptor, they have replaced all 7pin adaptors as they were causing problems.

They have replaced the old with a new WD 750gig drive, 3 pin I think and they transferred all of the data on the old one for free.

Noel Leeming purchase.

Lurking.

I'm starting to think that you may be right. My adaptor's light flashes green for a mere second or two before petering out.

Can I simply replace the adaptor?

Agoge
24-08-2009, 08:49 PM

No, it's an external, a WD 750gb, and I don't, unfortunately, have another computer to try it on. Lurking's post has given me hope that that it might simply be the adaptor.

feersumendjinn
24-08-2009, 09:35 PM
What he meant was for you to remove the HDD from the external case (if it's not a sealed unit, it may void your warranty if you do though) and try hooking it up directly to your computer to check the drive's ok.

Blam
24-08-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm starting to think that you may be right. My adaptor's light flashes green for a mere second or two before petering out.

Can I simply replace the adaptor?

Depends what type it uses

Lurking
25-08-2009, 12:23 PM
No, it's an external, a WD 750gb, and I don't, unfortunately, have another computer to try it on. Lurking's post has given me hope that that it might simply be the adaptor.

Take it back and get it replaced before it's too late, the adaptor is the fault.

Mine was only 9 months old, and make sure they transfer data over, although they don't legally have to.

Lurks.

Agoge
25-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Take it back and get it replaced before it's too late, the adaptor is the fault.

Mine was only 9 months old, and make sure they transfer data over, although they don't legally have to.

Lurks.

Took it back to Bond&Bond today. It was, fortunately, still under warranty, and it did turn out to be the adaptor. They are both going to replace the hard drive and transfer my data. It's quite a relief really.

Thanks to everyone for your amazing help! :thanks

It is so good to know that there are folks like you out there so ready and willing to help when such problems arise.

Cheers,
Steve