PDA

View Full Version : LAN card for old pc

Strommer
22-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Friend has a 1Ghz AMD Athlon pc, WinXP. There is no LAN and no telephone socket - nothing to connect up broadband. There used to be a dial-up card but that is missing. What do I need to get it on broadband?

Would either of the first two on this page (http://search.dse.co.nz/search?w=LAN+card&sessionid=4a8efdc606173b5c273fc0a87f3b06ca) work? I know DSE will not have the best price but my friend may want to buy the necessary hardware today and not wait for a order using PriceSpy.

I have run Belarc Advisor so other details are available.

Thanks.

gary67
22-08-2009, 09:51 AM
If it's got a PCi slot then the first one should work, don't throw the packaging though until you know for sure. I picked my last one up from the local recycling shop for $2 still packaged

Strommer
22-08-2009, 10:07 AM
If it's got a PCi slot then the first one should work, don't throw the packaging though until you know for sure. I picked my last one up from the local recycling shop for $2 still packaged

Thanks. I have not opened the case yet but there should be a PCi slot.

Do these network adapters have both a socket to plug in the cable from the telephone wall jack, as well as the LAN socket for a broadband connection?

gary67
22-08-2009, 10:18 AM
No it's purely BB for that you would need a PCi modem, they can only take the ethernet cable from the router

linw
22-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Don't pay for GB speed as you can't use it. The cheap 10/100 is all you need. If you were close I would give you one! There's not much demand for these anymore considering all mobos have them onboard now.

Strommer
22-08-2009, 10:37 AM
No it's purely BB for that you would need a PCi modem, they can only take the ethernet cable from the router

Thanks Gary

I have not had my morning caffeine hit yet... of course the telephone cable goes to the back of the (external) BB modem/router - at least that is what I think my friend has. His old old pc is Win98 and is unusable and he cannot afford a new pc so is going for the one described in my first post.

Where on this PriceSpy page (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_18.html)is a PCi BB modem that I could add to the old pc? And what brands are best, or bad?

Strommer
22-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Don't pay for GB speed as you can't use it. The cheap 10/100 is all you need. If you were close I would give you one! There's not much demand for these anymore considering all mobos have them onboard now.

Thanks - free is way better than DSE's $50 card!
Seriously, I may take you up on it as I was thinking of heading over your way tomorrow. I'll ask my friend and see what he says - will send you a PM.

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2009, 11:13 AM
None of those listed on the pricespy site are PCI BB modems. Theyre routers / external modems, and NIC's

gary67
22-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Are you wanting a PCi BB router or just the network card as they already have a router?

Strommer
22-08-2009, 02:30 PM
UPDATE: Local computer shop had an old PCi LAN card for $10.
Installed and BB working fine. :)

Did not even have to download drivers.

:thanks ... everyone for the guidance

gary67
22-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Brilliant, great use of time

linw
22-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Good to hear. As I said, their are HEAPS lying around that have been taken out of old machines.

You won't be needing mine!

Cheers.