PDA

View Full Version : Australian mobile phone in NZ

Greg
22-08-2009, 05:46 AM
Two of my daughters are visiting me from Aus next week. If they bring their mobiles with them will I be able to call them on their regular numbers? They have a 04 prefix.

Thanks for any info.

Strommer
22-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Two of my daughters are visiting me from Aus next week. If they bring their mobiles with them will I be able to call them on their regular numbers? They have a 04 prefix.

Thanks for any info.

My guess is that it depends on what cell company they are with. I believe most all cell companies these days have international roaming but it is expensive. ASFAIK, with intl roaming you still use the usual phone number.

Two Degrees SIM cards are only $2 - I would suggest they try this.

Greg
22-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks Steve. They won't need their phones much while here - only in case of emergency, or if they get lost!

Strommer
22-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks Steve. They won't need their phones much while here - only in case of emergency, or if they get lost!

Sometimes it take awhile to get a roaming connection. Once it took over 10 minutes for my Vodafone to connect in Oz, another time it connected within a few seconds.

Tell them to turn their phones on after they clear customs / passport check, while on their way to baggage claim. By the time they get their bags and meet you - or whoever - their phones should have a connection - or an error message saying "No Service Available" in which case you can get a couple of $2 Two Degree SIM cards.

paulw
22-08-2009, 02:43 PM
My guess is that it depends on what cell company they are with. I believe most all cell companies these days have international roaming but it is expensive. ASFAIK, with intl roaming you still use the usual phone number.

Two Degrees SIM cards are only $2 - I would suggest they try this.

You'd be lucky. Ozz carriers generally lock their fones..

Roscoe
22-08-2009, 05:21 PM
I have been advised by Vodaphone that if you have a Vodaphone cell in NZ it will work in Oz with no setup required. Is it safe to assume that if you have Vodaphone in Oz it will work here with no setup?

As Steve says, it does depend on the company, but if your company is in both countries it seems that there is no problem - except the cost. Texts are 80c and calls are $1 a minute and that is charged to the person who recieves the call! Who said NZ cell calls were expensive!

Marnie
22-08-2009, 06:03 PM
You call them on their regular numbers.
If you are each with Vodafone and they want to call you, there should be no change as to how they normally dial you.
We were in Aus. a couple of weeks ago and because the person we called wasn't with Vodafone, we had to use the 0011 number before dialling. Someone should be able to confirm that Aus/NZ works the same.
We always turn our phones on as soon as we are clear of the usual formalities.

Greg
22-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Duh!

Can't people read?

It's the the Aussie mobile holders I want to cantact while they're here.

Nevermind, but thanks for the input anyway.

Marnie
22-08-2009, 06:51 PM

If they are lost how can they tell you?

Greg
22-08-2009, 06:57 PM
If they are lost how can they tell you?They have legs and voices!

R2x1
22-08-2009, 07:52 PM
If they are lost how can they tell you?
It's easy enough, Greg speaks 'strine when needed.

B.M.
23-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Ok, I have two cell phones, one on Vodafone Australia and one on Vodafone NZ.

Both work fine in both countries without any adjustment.

The only reason I have two is because of the additional costs incurred if a call changes networks, remembering that the person Receiving the call pays as well as the person Making the call if the person Receiving is out of their home country.

In the case of only making emergency calls, the additional costs wouldn’t warrant having two phones, unless these girls get into an awful lot of trouble. :D

By the way, tell them our Emergency Number is 111 not 000 as in Aus ;)

paulw
23-08-2009, 10:26 AM
I have been advised by Vodaphone that if you have a Vodaphone cell in NZ it will work in Oz with no setup required. Is it safe to assume that if you have Vodaphone in Oz it will work here with no setup?

This is true if you are coming here and roaming but if you try and buy a NZ SIM you will be out of luck. I bought a fone from Vodafone in Ozz last year because my NZ one would not work over there (roam) . I had to pay Vodafone in Ozz A$72 to get it unlocked before my NZ SIM would work in it. It then worked fine when I got back here. It currently has my 2D SIM in it..

Greg
23-08-2009, 11:46 AM
By the way, tell them our Emergency Number is 111 not 000 as in Aus
Ta for that reminder... :)