PDA

View Full Version : Pationing Hard Drive for Two Different OSs

Dragoncub
21-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Hey everyone! Looking for a little help here.
I'm afraid I accidentally typed 'pationing' instead or 'partitioning', for those of you wondering what that meant. And I can't figure out how to edit more than my post.

My mother is wanting to partition a 1TB external hard drive for backups - approx one third for windows and two thirds for Mac. The drive itself states that it can support both Windows and Mac but - at the same time?

My mother would like to know HOW to do this. Anyone who can help, please leave some details instructions! My mother is already fairly confident with how to use the basics of a computer (for example, she could immediately find the Control Panel) but can easily be overwhelmed and frustrated when she doesn't know what she's doing, so the more detailed your answer, the better!

Potentially useful details for hard drive:
"Maxtor Basics" 1TB External hard Drive by Seagate
Works with Windows Vista, XP, or Mac OSX 10.4.8 and above

We would both appreciate if this could get done as soon as possible, so don't hold back!
Thanks guys!

Speedy Gonzales
21-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Umm and how exactly or what are you going to do, once you partition some of it for a mac?? Are you going to swap them all the time?? Since windows probably wont be able to read a mac partition, without some kind of 3rd party program (like parallels)? It may say it works with windows and a Mac. But, I would say this means on one or the other. Not on both at the same time

Dragoncub
21-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Well, my mother did actually manage to partition a previous hard drive. Each OS saw only that which was formatted to it and ignored the half that was not - that is, around 150GB each. The issue was that the Mac could READ the drive but not WRITE to it. She would like to use it for regularly backing up (plus file transfer when required) for both OSs.

Speedy Gonzales
21-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Partitioning it would be the easy bit. Dont think its going to happen. Its either one or the other. Get another hdd. Then network the 2 to transfer files. If you want to transfer files

Blam
21-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Well, my mother did actually manage to partition a previous hard drive. Each OS saw only that which was formatted to it and ignored the half that was not - that is, around 150GB each. The issue was that the Mac could READ the drive but not WRITE to it. She would like to use it for regularly backing up (plus file transfer when required) for both OSs.

Install MacDrive on Windows. Then you will have both read and write access.

For partitioning, just use Disk Utilities in OSX or Disk management in Windows(Run>devmgmt.msc)

mikebartnz
22-08-2009, 12:56 PM
For partitioning, just use Disk Utilities in OSX or Disk management in Windows(Run>devmgmt.msc)
Or better still use Parted Magic which comes as an ISO which you then burn to CD. The latest is very useful.

Blam
22-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Or better still use Parted Magic which comes as an ISO which you then burn to CD. The latest is very useful.

All the user needs is Gparted. PArted Magic contains extra tools the OP doesn not need

mikebartnz
22-08-2009, 04:44 PM
All the user needs is Gparted. PArted Magic contains extra tools the OP doesn not need
While I agree with that Parted Magic is very useful in the tool box and if you are going to burn an ISO to CD you may as well do it to Parted Magic.