PDA

View Full Version : Dual Booting - two hard drives

Strommer
21-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I would like to try Linux (PCLinuxOS 2009, Gnome) and am thinking of putting it on a second hard drive that I now use for back up. Win XP is on the main hd. Both hd's are 500 G Seagates.

To get my pc to boot into Linux, do I set the boot sequence using msconfig, or use the BIOS settings for boot order preference? Am I correct in putting Linux onto the second hd rather than on the WinXP hd?

BTW R2x1's recent comment on the Freeware thread sparked my interest and after reading reviews of PCLinuxOS 2009 I have decided it is time to put another notch on my geek skills belt and go Linux. :)

Blam
21-08-2009, 03:53 PM
You just need to add XP in grub.

This will show you how:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=179902

Blam

Strommer
21-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks Blam. Never heard of grub so will have to do some reading.

Copy and paste the following lines above the line
###BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

title Windows XP
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1

Looks complex. Yet another steep learning curve I guess. :nerd:
I was hoping for a simple msconfig solution.

psycik
21-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Thought about running a VM rather than dual boot?

bob_doe_nz
21-08-2009, 07:05 PM
How to dual boot Windows and linux without changing the Windows Master Boot Record: (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=56723)

It's an old article, and I'm not sure about modern bootloaders. But I have used this method before and it works.

Strommer
22-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Thought about running a VM rather than dual boot?

Do you mean running Linux off a CD or DVD disk?

How to dual boot Windows and linux without changing the Windows Master Boot Record: (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=56723)

It's an old article, and I'm not sure about modern bootloaders. But I have used this method before and it works.

Thanks Bob. Will try it.

mikebartnz
22-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Do you mean running Linux off a CD or DVD disk?
Thanks Bob. Will try it.
VM stands for Virtual Machine and you are better off running windows in a VM.
Steve just let grub do its thing. You shouldn't have any problems. If you do PM me and I will come around.

Strommer
22-08-2009, 02:33 PM
VM stands for Virtual Machine and you are better off running windows in a VM.
Steve just let grub do its thing. You shouldn't have any problems. If you do PM me and I will come around.

Thanks Mike - appreciate the kind offer. :thumbs:

I won't get to it this weekend but when I do, I'll come back here and post an update.

kjaada
23-08-2009, 07:58 AM
If you install PClinux it will set up duel booting before the first start up.Right at the end of the install you will get 'Grub is looking for other operating systems' and it will tell what has been found and ask if you want the other OS in your start up menu.

Strommer
23-08-2009, 08:48 AM
If you install PClinux it will set up duel booting before the first start up.Right at the end of the install you will get 'Grub is looking for other operating systems' and it will tell what has been found and ask if you want the other OS in your start up menu.

Brilliant. Thanks kjaada.

Jayess64
24-08-2009, 04:14 PM
I have a suggestion that works well for me. Since you are planning to use 2 HDs, get yourself a swap rack (Dick Smith, or better ones from, eg, Ascent) so you can easily switch system drives. I am running Ubuntu & XP on one PC this way, and I tried Win 7 on my main machine the same way. No dual-boot hassles, just install each OS on it's own drive.

I tried this after dual booting Linux & Windows on my wife's PC, and creamed her whole system. (I blamed a virus from Microsoft).

gary67
24-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I have a suggestion that works well for me. Since you are planning to use 2 HDs, get yourself a swap rack (Dick Smith, or better ones from, eg, Ascent) so you can easily switch system drives. I am running Ubuntu & XP on one PC this way, and I tried Win 7 on my main machine the same way. No dual-boot hassles, just install each OS on it's own drive.

I tried this after dual booting Linux & Windows on my wife's PC, and creamed her whole system. (I blamed a virus from Microsoft).

Very good point why no one else thought of it I don't know