PDA

View Full Version : iTunes library

percyporter
21-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I am attempting to trqnsfer my 20gb music library from my PC to my just purchased notebook. It is all installed on a 500gb external hard drive, but it would appear as if it can not be transfered on masse. I am sure it is possible but dispite going to the iTunes help page it seems the only way I can do it is one file at a time.

I would be interested in hearing if any one else has any better ideas

Regards

Alan

wratterus
21-08-2009, 02:38 PM
I really dislike ITunes. :(

Dump the whole lot off the external drive into the Music/ITunes/ITunes Music folder, use total commander (http://www.ghisler.com/) if windows isn't cooperating. I think you can tell ITunes to search for new music, failing that drag and drop the entire music folder into the open ITunes window and go for a walk, it might be some time sorting it out.

Chemical Ali
21-08-2009, 08:54 PM
It's a relatively easy exercise (though it will take time to move and/or copy the files across) to xfer your music files from the external hard drive to the notebook.
Simply open up 2 seperate windows under My Computer - one for the external hard drive and the other for the destination folder/drive where you want the files to go to.
In the window for your external hard drive left-click on the first file you want to copy/move then hold down the shift button and left-click on the final file that you want to copy or move. This will then select every file in between as well.
Now right-click on the highlighted files and drag to the destination folder/drive window and release. You will then get an option to either copy or move the files into that folder. Click on the option you want and windows will go ahead and do it.

With iTunes you can get it to add the files to your iTunes library by clicking on File at the top left and then clicking on Add Folder To Library. All you need to do then is to browse to the folder or drive on your notebook containing your music files and select it. iTunes will then add the files to your iTunes music library.

Hope that helps ...