PDA

View Full Version : Vista Backup: Access denied (0x80070005)

george12
21-08-2009, 01:18 PM
I have a computer here running Vista, and the customer uses Vista's backup program to back it up to an external 500GB drive.

Recently the backups have been failing after about an hour with the message System Backup: Access denied (0x80070005) (this is all event viewer gives).

The log files are no more useful, with GUIDs only and NO file names. We have been trying full backups so as not to rely on the integrity of previous incremental ones (which is another cause of this problem in some cases I believe).

Have tried reassigning ownership and permissions allowing Everyone access to all files being backed up (that I know of), disabling the anti-virus, and re-formatting the backup drive as a clean NTFS volume.

Same problem though. Any tips? I have read all I could find on the internet and have not found it helpful.

SolMiester
21-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Which account is running the backup?, AFAIK, system files are solely administrator access

george12
21-08-2009, 01:47 PM
There's only one user account on the machine and it's an Administrator. As far as I know, it *shouldn't* be trying to back up system files, at least not ones outside Documents and Settings. I have given Everyone access to the user folder and all subfolders.

somebody
21-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Is this the "Complete PC Backup" (that does the image based backup), or the one that backs up selected folders?

george12
21-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Is this the "Complete PC Backup" (that does the image based backup), or the one that backs up selected folders?

The selected folders one. However it is a complete backup of the selected folders (rather than incremental, which also failed).

Speedy Gonzales
21-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Is Outpost Pro firewall installed? This can cause that error. If it is kill it. If any firewall is installed disable / kill it

george12
21-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks Speedy, I'll check, I'm popping over there in 20 minutes. Most likely will collect the computer though as I can't sit there for hours waiting for it to complete or not...

gary67
21-08-2009, 02:09 PM
It might be an administrator account but is it the real administrator, this comes up occasionally where the admin account is not necessarily the full admin

SolMiester
21-08-2009, 02:28 PM
There's only one user account on the machine and it's an Administrator. As far as I know, it *shouldn't* be trying to back up system files, at least not ones outside Documents and Settings. I have given Everyone access to the user folder and all subfolders.

Ouch!...Is it a scheduled backup or manual?....scheduled backups require password of user account etc!

george12
21-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Ouch!...Is it a scheduled backup or manual?....scheduled backups require password of user account etc!

Manual at this stage. Speedy, the mentioned firewall is not installed.

It copies 5.6GB of data over quite happily before it fails. I have narrowed the selection of data by deselecting "other file types" from the list and we will see how that goes.

wainuitech
21-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Narrow it down to see if its the backup program giving the problem, or windows permissions -- to test do a straight copy /paste of the files you want to back up to the other drive.

IF it goes ok then you'll know its the backup program giving the hassles.

george12
21-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Narrow it down to see if its the backup program giving the problem, or windows permissions -- to test do a straight copy /paste of the files you want to back up to the other drive.

IF it goes ok then you'll know its the backup program giving the hassles.

Great idea - thanks. It has a sort of idiot-proof way of file selection where you do it by file types not locations. However all the selected types should be in the user folder. If this current one fails I will try a copy of the whole user folder, and it will of course tell my which file is not copying if any.