PDA

View Full Version : Good tech in Chch

jwil1
20-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Needed for a friend's very sick computer :)

hueybot3000
20-08-2009, 09:53 PM
whats up with it? pm if you want, il have a crack

Blam
20-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Is Teamviewer or similar an option?

jwil1
20-08-2009, 10:01 PM
whats up with it? pm if you want, il have a crack

Long story... lol

They IMed me saying they couldn't access AV sites. They had Nortons (expired!) so naturally I got them to put Avast and Trojan remover on.

TR found lots of stuff, but after Avast's scan it started detecting everything as a virus. Not sure what happened since 9it was about 1 week), but now when they log in they just get a black screen and Task Mgr is disabled. The desktop doesn't appear.

I think what has happened is, some infected file has relied on an infected system file, which Avast/TR removed - hence the system doesn't function properly. :waughh:

Only thing I can think of is slaving the drive and scanning it, or of course a reinstall.

PM me your details and I'll get them to give you a call. :)

Blam: Not a workable option, given the state the PC is in.

Blam
20-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Is SR disabled?

Can they do a print screen of what is detected as a virus.

jwil1
20-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Is SR disabled?

Can they do a print screen of what is detected as a virus.

I think it's going to be a little hard now given that all they can get to is a black screen, task manager disabled, so no way to run Explorer manually... :)

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Well can it boot into safe mode / networking?? If it can, someone could probably get in with teamviewer, and check it out. You dont have to boot into normal windows, for teamviewer, to work

jwil1
20-08-2009, 10:21 PM
This machine is in such a bad state i think it needs someone to physically look at it :)

I have (possibly) found a little work for hueybot3000 :p

whellington
20-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Look on yellow.co.nz

nofam
20-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Can you boot into safe mode?

Another option might be to boot off UBCD or Hirens Boot CD and run Spybot and Hijackthis (if you're confident with the latter).

Sometimes you have to pick away at bad infections until you can 'get your foot in the door' so to speak!

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2009, 10:24 PM
I could check it out with teamviewer. Thats if it boots into safe mode / networking. Since trojan remover is installed select all options under utilities as well

Blam
20-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Can you boot into safe mode?

Another option might be to boot off UBCD or Hirens Boot CD and run Spybot and Hijackthis (if you're confident with the latter).

Sometimes you have to pick away at bad infections until you can 'get your foot in the door' so to speak!

You mean UBCD4Win, and HBCD XP?

HijackThis+Spybot doesn't run in DOS;)

Good luck with the virus removal, but with nasty infections like these, the only way to make sure you won't get reinfected is a fresh install.

nofam
20-08-2009, 10:46 PM
You mean UBCD4Win, and HBCD XP?

HijackThis+Spybot doesn't run in DOS;)

Good luck with the virus removal, but with nasty infections like these, the only way to make sure you won't get reinfected is a fresh install.

Sorry, I meant actually booting off the CD into the XP PE ;)

wainuitech
20-08-2009, 11:43 PM
If its that badly infected - a full reinstall would be the best option - as MANY of the system files will be stuffed, and could more than likely never be repaired.