PDA

View Full Version : Build or Buy

convair
20-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Do you prefer to build your own PC or buy a prebuilt PC?

Blam
20-08-2009, 08:08 PM
The latter.

Not going to bother explaining why....

Erayd
20-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Build if it's a desktop, buy complete if it's a laptop.

wainuitech
20-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Build if it's a desktop, buy complete if it's a laptop. That about sums it up fully :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Yup build one. Saves me uninstalling the crap I dont need. And I can put whatever I want in it. And it'll probably work

convair
20-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I would rather build my PC than buy a prebuilt PC. Least I know whats in the PC component wise. And I can choose which OS to install.

jwil1
20-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Build if it's a desktop, buy complete if it's a laptop.

+1

hueybot3000
20-08-2009, 09:55 PM
build, id love to build a laptop but flag

whellington
20-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Build, much cheaper and i get the parts i want

Trev
20-08-2009, 10:43 PM
My one year old computer was built by Ascent with the parts I wanted. I installed Windows on it.
:)

waldok
20-08-2009, 11:40 PM
I used to build my desktops, but the last couple of purchases for me and my wife were laptops. They have become so much cheaper now.

Building definitely has a charm to it. Getting personal with the system! I have also had frustrations doing that though.

ps. First post on PressF1. I will probably be a lurker most of the time. :)

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Welcome to the forum Waldok :banana

Nomad
21-08-2009, 12:04 AM
I can see how in a computer forum most of us would want desktop PCs and self build them.

In the real world, I gather that more people would prefer supermarket PCs, most people don't require a demanding computer. A sub $1,000 computer should be fine for most people.

I know in the digital image world that many in the USA like a Dell system with a iCore CPU.

More and more are getting laptops, they are portable, does all you need, take it to the around the house to the patio.

I admit that I have a proper video card, but I have not played one game on my system since I bought it in Jan. The most I have done is email, surf the net, skype and photography.

beeswax34
21-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Get it custom built and then just install whatever I want on it.

gary67
21-08-2009, 07:47 AM
I build my own and SWMBO's as I like doing it. We don't have laptops for the simple reason if we could take them anywhere in the house nothing would ever get done, this way when we leave the office..... Also I can't rebuild laptops over and over again as tech moves on

pctek
21-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Neither.

Mine just continues to evolve slowly over time. Much better than tossing it and starting from scratch.

But build for the purposes of the poll, that way you choose exactly what goes into it.

JJJJJ
21-08-2009, 10:43 AM
The obvious answer is to build your own.
But that overlooks people like me with stiff fingers and bad eyesight.The last one I tried to build, I spent so much time searching for lost screws in the bottom of the case that I just gave up.
My solution these days is to buy the parts I want and then get someone else to assemble it.

Trev
21-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Yes I get to stressed out building my own, when the moment comes when you first switch it on with fingers crossed and hope that everything goes. Yes I have built my own computer once.
:)

the_bogan
21-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I prefer the safety of getting someone else to put one together.

wratterus
21-08-2009, 11:38 AM
If you're not confident then don't build it yourself. You don't need to go and buy a pre-built box either though. ComputerLounge are one company that will let you choose all the parts you want, and for an extra $100 or so they will install it all (very well too) and make sure it's running. Best of both worlds! :)

Sweep
21-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I like to build my own.

the_bogan
21-08-2009, 11:55 AM
If you're not confident then don't build it yourself. You don't need to go and buy a pre-built box either though. ComputerLounge are one company that will let you choose all the parts you want, and for an extra $100 or so they will install it all (very well too) and make sure it's running. Best of both worlds! :)

A few members here do the same thing too :thanks

GameJunkie
21-08-2009, 01:14 PM
i would take a stab at building my own.

for the money paid for the current desktop we have at home i could have built a mid-range gaming pc

SolMiester
21-08-2009, 01:24 PM
The latter.

Not going to bother explaining why....

I thought you would of preferred the former....build your own?

Agent_24
21-08-2009, 01:29 PM
My first PC was a prebuilt one from Warehouse Stationary. Still better then the brand name places because at least it used standard parts and no funny business. Also I got a real Windows XP CD (none of this recovery disc/partition rubbish) which I still use today :)

Preinstalled crap was minimal too. Only thing I can complain about was that it had a Hyena PSU and the hard drive eventually started going clunk

After that I rebuilt it and never looked back

My reasons for this are:

1) Cheaper
2) I can choose whatever I like and I know if I'm putting a decent quality part in
3) I can install whatever OS I like, how I like, where I like and without any preinstalled junk
4) I learn new things every time :D
5) No stupid helpdesk to deal with if something breaks, just straightforward RMA process from a computer shop (only ever had to do this twice mind you)

Probably more things that I can't think of at the moment

SolMiester
21-08-2009, 02:31 PM
1st PC I put together was a DX2 66mhz, with.....8MB RAM and a 512Kb ISA video card....cant remember the HDD size...I didnt have windows then so when I wanted to install Sim City 2000, I had to create false win.ini and config files...LOL

Blam
21-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I thought you would of preferred the former....build your own?

I did...but when I discovered my mistake it was too late to edit

Custom over prebuilt anyday. Mainly cause its cheaper and also because I don't get SH1T PC parts..

convair
24-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Good to see that a alot of people would rather build their PC than buy a prebuilt PC.

Richard
24-08-2009, 02:38 PM
I used to build my desktops, but the last couple of purchases for me and my wife were laptops. They have become so much cheaper now.

Building definitely has a charm to it. Getting personal with the system! I have also had frustrations doing that though.

ps. First post on PressF1. I will probably be a lurker most of the time. :)

Don't just lurk waldok, we have too many lurkers already. Your contribution to both forums (forae?) will always be welcome. :thumbs: