PDA

View Full Version : Installing a second Internal HD

Essence07
20-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi, I'm sorry if this is a frequent or easy to google question to ask, but..I thought it would be best to ask on a forum somewhere...

Basically, I want to install a second internal hard drive, I need this for more storage and games. If that's possible.

I was planning to install Windows 7 on it, to see how it is...

I guess, my main question, more than anything else.. Once I have the two Hard drives installed, how do I switch between the two of them? And can I do this in the middle of while I'm using the comp? Like.. Could I be writing a word document on one hard drive, and switch to the other hard drive at will? and come back..etc..

Will having two hard drives slow down my comp at all? Like, will the computer be too busy trying to give resources to one drive, which will slow down the other one?

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions, and let me know how feasible my idea is. Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2009, 10:47 AM
If its IDE connect it to an IDE connector. Remember to jumper it. Then install Win7 on it. It'll give you the option to boot from whatever OS after you reboot.

You'll have to reboot to switch between the 2, then select which OS you want to load. So, no, you cant change OS's in the middle of what youre doing. You'll have to finish what youre doing, then save it, then reboot, before you switch between the 2. It shouldnt slow things down too much using 2 hdd's

Essence07
20-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Ah, ok. Thanks :)

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2009, 11:30 AM
No probs :)