PDA

View Full Version : cant beleive download speed

nedkelly
19-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I cant believe it im downloading faster from Aus than here in NZ.
200 kpbs compared to 50 kbps

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Probably the server youre downloading from

wainuitech
19-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Highly possible - even though you may be in NZ, getting data from a location In NZ - it will go through several servers on the way - not always within NZ either.

Lots of people don't actually know how the internet works (or doesn't sometimes), as in how the data is transmitted /routered ;)

Often you will get what ever you are downloading faster from out side the country.

Example: when ever I decide to download the latest Linux to play with, never get it from the NZ location servers - USA is always faster.

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Sometimes with Xnet anyway its usually faster from a NZ server (faster than US, oz maybe faster). Depending on the time of day

allblack
19-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Lots of people don't actually know how the internet works (or doesn't sometimes), as in how the data is transmitted /routered

Guilty.

Looking at moving to TelstraClear as they offered 6 months free phone-line rental, and when I was with them in a previous life they were faster than Telecom.

What I couldn't figure out is....don't they use the T'com 'lines'.....therefore how can they be faster?

If you feel like answering this, please do so without geek-speak! :D

gary67
19-08-2009, 09:18 PM
They have their own cables in Wellington I think, someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Wainui is on Telstra cable

wainuitech
19-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Guilty.

Looking at moving to TelstraClear as they offered 6 months free phone-line rental, and when I was with them in a previous life they were faster than Telecom.

What I couldn't figure out is....don't they use the T'com 'lines'.....therefore how can they be faster?

If you feel like answering this, please do so without geek-speak! :DShort un-geek speak - they use their own infulstructure.

Example - Thats why when they did a speed test from here in Wainuiomata to their own speed testing address it was a direct tunnel , no going via other ISP's etc - and it was fast, it downloaded a test file at the 10Mbps I'm meant to get. Other speed tests are :crying.

IF any one wants to see how data is actually sent / received around the internet ( world) - theres a OLD 13 minute movie that is light hearted, it shows what happens when you click on a web link to get information, it's aimed at corporate/ business layout - but the general "working" is the same every where - while old its still is basically the same today.

The movie Warriors Of The Net (http://www.warriorsofthe.net/) 73MB. ( think of it as what happens when You click that link I posted - to load the web page :D

OR Direct link to download (http://www.warriorsofthe.net/cgi-bin/download.pl/warriors-700-VBR?url=http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/tv+movies/warriors/warriors-700-VBR.mpg) << Right click - save as

And you will wonder how the internet actually works ( sometimes) :lol:

beeswax34
19-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Ha! We just saw that movie for a Stage 3 IS paper at University last week. Good times :lol:

wainuitech
19-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Ha! We just saw that movie for a Stage 3 IS paper at University last week. Good times :lol: Quite well done isn't it.

Love the "off the cheek comments" Like -- "Apple talk packets going against traffic as usual" :lol:

When you think about all those packets floating about its a wonder anything gets where its going.

Non - Geek talk:

Try explaining to people that when an email gets sent it breaks up into hundreds of pieces and reassembles back at its destination -you get a :confused: stare - its not like sending a letter snail mail all in one piece. ;)

SolMiester
20-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Work colleague is banging on about his ADSL 2+....downloading at 1900+Kbps...!!!, that 2Mb/s...!!

Erayd
20-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Highly possible - even though you may be in NZ, getting data from a location In NZ - it will go through several servers on the way - not always within NZ either.

Lots of people don't actually know how the internet works (or doesn't sometimes), as in how the data is transmitted /routered ;)

Often you will get what ever you are downloading faster from out side the country.

Example: when ever I decide to download the latest Linux to play with, never get it from the NZ location servers - USA is always faster.
Are you talking about the kernel, or a distro?

If you're talking about distros, mirror.pacific.net.au has many of the major ones, and is damn fast from a telstra cable connection - it will usually eat all the capacity available on mine.

Sadly the same cannot be said for the citylink mirror (which incidentally appears to route via LA), although as it's a useless and frequently broken mirror anyway...

MAC_H8ER
20-08-2009, 05:17 PM
had a HOF corner me today and demand why a site in london wasnt going fast enough

after 10 minutes of explaining that we cant do anuything about sites we dont actually own or have anything to do with he said

"well cant you just do your hacky thing and hack it faster?"

"thats illegal sir and it wont help the cause any"

"just do it!"

and he walked off

>_<

wainuitech
20-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Are you talking about the kernel, or a distro?

If you're talking about distros, mirror.pacific.net.au has many of the major ones, and is damn fast from a telstra cable connection - it will usually eat all the capacity available on mine.

Sadly the same cannot be said for the citylink mirror (which incidentally appears to route via LA), although as it's a useless and frequently broken mirror anyway... Distro