PDA

View Full Version : Debate

Sweep
19-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Just as a matter of interest I am about to leave home to go to Putaruru to see a debate.

Subject "Rugby is a blood sport and should be banned."

Affirmative.

Putaruru College will argue the affirmative against Cambridge High School in the first debate.

Then Forest View High will take the affirmative against Matamata College.

I need to go to brush up my skills.

Only a gold coin donation for adults and if I was younger I would get in for free.

somebody
19-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Enjoy!

Sweep
19-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Enjoy!

I will catch you all later and report.

Ofthesea
19-08-2009, 09:58 PM
They might have extended the invitation to a couple of Auckland schools ... ?

Sweep
19-08-2009, 11:25 PM
No invitation to schools in Auckland for some reason which escapes me.
Maybe it's because of the way two Auckland schools got involved in a brawl last weekend.

The moot for next year is "Some people do not know what is good for themselves". This moot was chosen by the winning team as is the custom apparently.

I must admit to being impressed with not only the standard of debate but also how well behaved and well dressed the contestants were. They were all a credit to their various communities and I suspect that they will all go far in their chosen fields whatever they may be. I had a chance to chat with four out of the twelve and I have to say that I do not despair of the younger generation as much as I did before attending.

I will be writing a letter to the editor of our local newspaper expressing my views more or less as published here.

For the record Matamata won the debate and achieved a double in so far as both the Junior and Senior teams have won their debates this year.

Four teams of three against the clock. In my view the best speaker came from Putaruru but the best speaker does not always win the debate.

Our local Mayor was there along with two other council members and Neil went on record as saying that a couple of those members were there to learn debating skills. That comment must have made them feel small or otherwise challenged in some way I guess.

somebody
20-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Great to hear Sweep. I understand that there is a fairly competitive local high school competition in the Waikato region, so hopefully you'll be able to attend another debate at some point.

prefect
20-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Just as a matter of interest I am about to leave home to go to Putaruru to see a debate.

Subject "Rugby is a blood sport and should be banned."

Affirmative.

Putaruru College will argue the affirmative against Cambridge High School in the first debate.

Then Forest View High will take the affirmative against Matamata College.

I need to go to brush up my skills.

Only a gold coin donation for adults and if I was younger I would get in for free.

Be a hopeless hiding to nowhere taking the affirmative.
Rugby isnt a blood sport and you you just cant ban things anymore.
A real blood sport would be fencing with real swords

Greg
20-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Fencing IS with real swords. They just happen to have the tips covered and the participants covered and certain rules apply.

As for rugby being a blood sport... man - those who are opposed to the game are so going to lose!

Spanish and Mexican bullfighting, and boxing are blood sports! Not rugby!

Anyway.. personaly I'd much rather actually play or watch a game of rugby than debate the silly question.