PDA

View Full Version : "Please connect fingerprint scanner" message on start

KiwiGPS
19-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi - I have a Toshiba Satellite P100 laptop with XP (latest updates.)

Lately when starting up it stops all start progress with a pale blue screen ("Windows is starting") which after a minute or so changes to include the message "Connect fingerprint scanner" at the top left.

Nothing happens from here on. All I can do is hold the Off button a few seconds to turn of the computer. Wait a bit then restart. This problem can happen 2-3 times before the start up process proceeds normally.

I don't use the fingerprint scanner and have just read here they are a bit of a joke anyway. I have recently connected a Dick Smith USB 7 Port USB Hub - would this have any detrimental effect to starting? Any help to stop this error would be appreciated thanks.

By the way am looking for a smaller laptop for my wife to use and to travel with and was interested to read reliability discussions. This $3k computer was luckily still in the extended warranty period when at the venerable age of 2 years both the DVD drive failed and the screen developed a wide white line down the middle. A Google search showed the DVD drive was actually a LG brand and troublesome. Even tough in ChCh it had to go to Wellington for repair - but at least it was in NZ - that's where Harvey Norman sent it. Shortlist for a new one is Asus. Thanks - Tony.

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2009, 11:22 AM
USB hubs if connected, can slow a computer down (well take it longer) to boot into windows. Depending on whats plugged into it. Altho, not all devices will work in a hub either. There's probably something in startup, pointing to the fingerprint reader, why it keeps on bringing up messages about it

Blam
19-08-2009, 03:05 PM
USB hubs if connected, can slow a computer down (well take it longer) to boot into windows. Depending on whats plugged into it. Altho, not all devices will work in a hub either. There's probably something in startup, pointing to the fingerprint reader, why it keeps on bringing up messages about it

This may slow down booting from the BIOS, as if the boot order is not correct it may be trying to boot from the devices connected to the hub, but in general it shouldn't slow windows down so that its *noticeable*..

KiwiGPS: Post a HijackThis log here

And also, try tapping F8 on boot and selecting safe mode. See if its OK in safe mode.

As for a good laptop, try this:
http://www.justlaptops.net.nz/product/346/asus-13-3-2kg-co2duo-2-0g-4g-250g-hdmi-webcam-wln/

Blam

KiwiGPS
19-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Thank you for your help. I'll try your suggestions.

Thank you too for the Asus link - I'd had a look at the Just Laptops site - which just kept going back to Trade Me - I'd like to find a sales site that helped explain to the average bloke the differences between the processors with all the fancy Core etc etc terminology - used to be you could just look at the megahertz figure! Even within the one brand there are so many models to look at - the Asus site sure doesn't help narrow down the features desired. From memory the downloadable Toshiba catalogues were a bit more useful in that regard when we bought this machine.

There's plenty of off the shelf e-commerce web sites which just list dozens of models but which don't tell me why I'd want to spend more or less. Shopping by price and perceived service is OK but you have to narrow down the specs desired first. All the same, I'll try phoning Just Laptops and see if I get some good advice without the hype.

I guess by "Post a HijackThis log here" you are wanting this information?

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:57:46 p.m., on 19/08/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16876)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Zooming Utility\SmoothView.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Windows Utilities\Hotkey.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\Toshiba.exe
C:\Program Files\Protector Suite QL\psqltray.exe
C:\Program Files\Seagate\Basics\Basics Status\MaxMenuMgrBasics.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\Automatic Backup Pro\LiveSystem.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Print Key\PrintKey2000\Printkey2000.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Seagate\Basics\Service\SyncServicesBasics.ex e
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DVDRAMSV.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Intel\Wireless\Bin\Dot1XCfg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Tony\My Documents\Downloads\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Winamp Toolbar Loader - {25CEE8EC-5730-41bc-8B58-22DDC8AB8C20} - C:\Program Files\Winamp Toolbar\winamptb.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLASHX_W.DLL
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Winamp Toolbar - {EBF2BA02-9094-4c5a-858B-BB198F3D8DE2} - C:\Program Files\Winamp Toolbar\winamptb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: eSnips - {ED1184DA-E57E-4480-99D0-A16809037F54} - C:\Program Files\eSnips\SnipBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LaunchApp] launchapp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] CHDAudPropShortcut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NDSTray.exe] NDSTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLA] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmoothView] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Zooming Utility\SmoothView.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PSQLLauncher] "C:\Program Files\Protector Suite QL\launcher.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Toshiba Hotkey Utility] "C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Windows Utilities\Hotkey.exe" /lang en
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [basicsmssmenu] "C:\Program Files\Seagate\Basics\Basics Status\MaxMenuMgrBasics.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TOSCDSPD] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Iomega Automatic Backup Pro] "C:\Program Files\Iomega\Automatic Backup Pro\LiveSystem.exe" -s
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: MailWasherPro.lnk = C:\Program Files\FireTrust\MailWasher Pro\MailWasher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Printkey2000.lnk = C:\Program Files\Print Key\PrintKey2000\Printkey2000.exe
O4 - Global Startup: RAMASST.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Winamp Search - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Winamp Toolbar\ieToolbar\resources\en-US\local\search.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Snip to my eSnips account - C:\Program Files\eSnips\res\SnipIt.htm
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\Skype4COM.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~2\GOEC62~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Basics Service - Seagate Technology LLC - C:\Program Files\Seagate\Basics\Service\SyncServicesBasics.ex e
O23 - Service: ConfigFree Service (CFSvcs) - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
O23 - Service: DVD-RAM_Service - Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\DVDRAMSV.exe
O23 - Service: ESET HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\EHttpSrv.exe
O23 - Service: ESET Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: Google Desktop Manager 5.7.805.16405 (GoogleDesktopManager-051608-133132) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c99be8c5a9230) (gupdate1c99be8c5a9230) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe

--
End of file - 9677 bytes

=====================

Apologies if it's a waste of space - let me know and I'll delete it. Thanks again for your help - Tony.

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2009, 09:35 PM
You can tick these then tick fix checked (dont delete the files)

Close browsers

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\\NeroCheck.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

This will be the software for the reader. Get ccleaner, and disable this entry under startup (dont tick it in the log). Then reboot. See if that message appears again

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PSQLLauncher] "C:\Program Files\Protector Suite QL\launcher.exe" /startup

KiwiGPS
19-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Many thanks - I did as suggested above and the "Please swipe finger" appears only momentarily now whether the USB Hub is connected or not. The start up completes OK now. Thanks very much for taking the time to help, it's most appreciated - Tony :)

KiwiGPS
08-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Since the above changes I find that Google Desktop Search has to be manually started now whereas it used to start automatically when the computer was restarted. Is there any harm in having it starting at start up? If not, how can I set it up so it starts in the background. Thanks - Tony

Blam
08-09-2009, 12:52 PM
If you open up HijackThis you can recover ticked items

Blam

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Desktop search can slow things down and its a memory hog

KiwiGPS
08-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Thank you both for your very quick replies! Good to know how I can reverse the change but I'll leave it off for now. Thanks again - Tony.