PDA

View Full Version : Backup

Poppa John
18-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi All.
I thought that I would do a backup this morning using the MS one. It insists that I use 3" floppy discs, but I want to use DVD-r. It won't let me. I don't have Nero. Why won't this work? PJ

wainuitech
18-08-2009, 11:12 AM
You would be better off burning the data to DVD as files, instead of the MS backup - That puts anything backed up into its own format - meaning it usually cant be read from any other Machine - and when you restore ( last time I had to deal with it) it was all or nothing.

You don't need Nero - there are plenty of free writing programs about that will do the job fine.

Poppa John
18-08-2009, 11:18 AM
W...Any suggestions? PJ

Thomas01
18-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I use the free program Synback - needs a little learning but nothing difficult (otherwise I would not use it!).
Every morning at 11:00am it backs up to the spare hard drive I have on my desktop then later on does the same to a flash drive via USB.
Occasionally I also copy this stuff onto a DVD using Nero (or similar) and the disk is then stored in the garage well away from the house.
I haven't tried getting my backups directly onto DVDs but I can see it being possible - just don't know how!

Poppa John
18-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Seems to me that there is more to doing a backup than meets the eye.

Here was me hoping to say "Computer...do a backup onto DVDs & let me know when you have finished". In the meantime I woulg go & sit in the sun with coffee & chocolate cake with caramel icing. Ah well. PJ

Blam
18-08-2009, 12:08 PM
+1 for SyncBack.

Or, for beginners GFI is good:
http://www.gfi.com/backup-hm

Blam

wainuitech
18-08-2009, 02:21 PM
W...Any suggestions? PJ Just had a look at the linked program Blam Posted in #6 - GFI -- Downloaded and installed it on one of the Windows 7 PC's in the workshop ---Works quite well - the defaults look easy enough.

Most back up programs make their own format - this is one that doesn't, Did a test backup of several programs ( install.exe's) along with some test documents , backed up to CD - and read, had access to them from another PC - wiped them off the PC, and ran a restore - worked fine.

The hardest part I saw was a person may have to navigate through to the location of "their" own folders if not inthe default settings ( not that hard though) -- Have not tried a complete system backup - but it looks like its capable of it - may try that later.

For burning programs, if you dont want a dedicated backup program I use Ashampoo burning software - its often given away on magazines - some dont like it, But i put the free versions on peoples PC's and many do like it. you can download an older Version 6 (http://www.freewarefiles.com/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-FREE_program_41028.html) from that link - free. I personally use version 9 - has more features.

Poppa John
18-08-2009, 06:06 PM
OK I am confused, I don't know what to do for the best.

Got XP Hpme SP3. 160 GB HD. 53 GB used. A lot to back up onto DVDs.

My Documents total 24GB.That would be about 6 DVDs? Yes? My Docs seems to have all the things I need to save as it holds all the other My ?????? things, like Music & Pictures. So maybe this is all I need to save. Yes another HD would be better but that is not possible. So it has to be DVD-rs which we have.

I would like to put all this stuff on disc NOT Zipped & be able to read it as I please. Is that possible? If so how. Thanks. PJ

gary67
18-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Syncback to a external hard drive then if too much for DVD's just schedule it to run while you go have coffee and set it up to back up all docs, music, pictures etc. It just copies the files or synchronises them whatever you tell it to do. It's extremely easy to set up too.

Poppa John
18-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Syncback to a external hard drive then if too much for DVD's just schedule it to run while you go have coffee and set it up to back up all docs, music, pictures etc. It just copies the files or synchronises them whatever you tell it to do. It's extremely easy to set up too.

An EHD would be preferable, but not possible at this time.
An extra HD would have to go to Maryann's computer first, she only has an 80GB. PJ

Jen
18-08-2009, 08:56 PM
I thought that I would do a backup this morning using the MS one. It insists that I use 3" floppy discs ...

My Documents total 24GB.That would be about 6 DVDs? ... or 17066 floppy disks. :eek:

Poppa John
18-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Wainuitech mentioned Ashampoo6, which IS on this computer. I will have a look at just straight burning My Documents onto disc. PJ

Blam
18-08-2009, 09:46 PM
An EHD would be preferable, but not possible at this time.

Save up! DVDs are bad for backups:p

Poppa John
18-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Save up! DVDs are bad for backups:p

HaHaHa. Chance would be a fine thing. PJ

Thomas01
19-08-2009, 11:49 AM
You may be able to do what I did if an external hard drive is not possible. Look around for a second hand internal hard drive.
They come VERY cheap and not too difficult to install. Unless you are using a laptop and not a desktop.

Poppa John
19-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I just tried to backup with Ashampoo 6 & it failed. No reason given. Damnit. PJ

R2x1
19-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Seems to me that there is more to doing a backup than meets the eye.

Here was me hoping to say "Computer...do a backup onto DVDs & let me know when you have finished". In the meantime I woulg go & sit in the sun with coffee & chocolate cake with caramel icing. Ah well. PJ
The back-up is a bit of a worry, but the really worrying bits are:-
1/. Finding the sun.
2/. Finding cake.
3/. Remembering the recipe for coffee. (Just temporarily, I am a little unsure of even which fork to use with coffee.)
4/. Remembering where the kitchen is. (I know it is involved at some stage, seeing it may jog my memory.)

Poppa John
19-08-2009, 12:03 PM
The back-up is a bit of a worry, but the really worrying bits are:-
1/. Finding the sun.
2/. Finding cake.
3/. Remembering the recipe for coffee. (Just temporarily, I am a little unsure of even which fork to use with coffee.)
4/. Remembering where the kitchen is. (I know it is involved at some stage, seeing it may jog my memory.)

One to four is easy. The first line is a *****. PJ

Poppa John
19-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Having a go with GFI rfom Blam. Fingers crossed. PJ

Sweep
19-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Having a go with GFI rfom Blam. Fingers crossed. PJ

Sorry PJ.

But do you know about Windows explorer and how to copy to CDs or DVDs.

Win XP has a native copy application for CDs but not DVDs.

Various options are available for you but it may take time but are free.

Your "My Documents" folder may contain all your music and your photos and also other folders like videos or Paint shop pro settings.

In my humble opinion you need to learn how to use folders or directories.

Last time I looked at your computer in My Docs there were several new folders and also copies of new folders and copies of copies etc.

A backup, as Wainui says, is usually a file or several files in a format that may be restored but it may be similar to a zip file in so far as you would need to reinstall the operating system and the application you used to backup in order to restore.

A copy is somewhat different.

Poppa John
19-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Sweep.I looked at My Documents & cleared it out of all unwanted stuff. Not before time either. Because My Docs holds most of the stuff I wanted to put on backup, that is what I did using GFI I now have 6 DVDs of it. Should I ever have an HDD breakdown, I hope the DVDs will get me up & running again.

Did know that MS does a burn to CD but not DVD. What is that about Windows Explorer? PJ

Poppa John
19-08-2009, 09:10 PM
The next job is to backup Outlook Express, tottaly. Any advice? PJ

Blam
19-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Using the inbuilt Windows File and Settings transfer tool you can backup OE.
http://www.iopus.com/guides/free-oe-backup.htm

Or, try out this:
http://download.cnet.com/Outlook-Express-Backup/3000-2242_4-10159751.html

Blam

wainuitech
19-08-2009, 11:13 PM
The second link Blam posted :thumbs: That program works well.

Blam
19-08-2009, 11:21 PM
The second link Blam posted :thumbs: That program works well.

Its got quite a large amount of options for a free product....:D

Poppa John
20-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Using the inbuilt Windows File and Settings transfer tool you can backup OE.
http://www.iopus.com/guides/free-oe-backup.htm

Or, try out this:
http://download.cnet.com/Outlook-Express-Backup/3000-2242_4-10159751.html

Blam

Cannoy make either of these work. Will try again tomorrow. Nothing is easy for me Duh. PJ

Poppa John
21-08-2009, 12:25 PM
All done. Thankyou for your help & patience. I hope they will work if I ever need them. Never I hope.

Next job is to learn how to backup onto the computer a copy write DVD video I bought. PJ

Sweep
21-08-2009, 02:45 PM
You may consider trying a restore to ensure the information is verified before you need the DVDs.

Good to hear that you have done a backup.

Which application did you use?

Poppa John
21-08-2009, 09:11 PM
You may consider trying a restore to ensure the information is verified before you need the DVDs.

Good to hear that you have done a backup.

Which application did you use?

The first of blam's links. The inbuilt files & settingd transfer wizard. I asked it to verify as well. PJ