PDA

View Full Version : What HDD's are the most reliable these days? 1.5TB dying..

Chilling_Silence
17-08-2009, 11:55 PM
OK so this serves me right for being a cheap-ass and getting a Maxtor Jade Basics 1.5TB 3.5" HDD a while back, it was the cheapest around, and after buying it, it turns out they have a reputation for failing. Mine is now, read errors / write errors, and I doubt it'll last long.

Unfortunately for me there's 1.5TB of stuff that's almost impossible to replace, and the drive is failing...

So, I'm looking to buy me an internal 1.5TB SATA drive (Stuff external, can't be bothered) but this time I wanna ask first.

Right now I'm looking at PBTech and they have a few going for $219+GST, Seagate & Western Digital... But I know there's also some Samsung ones around too...

Recommendations? Payday tomorrow I believe so I'm hoping I can get most of the data off ASAP before it completely packs up :(

Cheers

Chill.

Blam
18-08-2009, 12:02 AM
I've heard the WD 1.5TB GreenPowers are pretty good.

Not the fastest drive around(like all 1.5TB drives) but its quiet and uses little power.

In terms of price per GB 1TB is exactly the same as the 1.5TB....but I've heard the 1TB ones are faster and more reliable.

Blam

Sweep
18-08-2009, 12:03 AM
PB tech in Auckland and in Hamilton I can recommend.

Been to both places.

Currently I am not in the market for any hard drives.

Sweep
18-08-2009, 12:09 AM
I've heard the WD 1.5TB GreenPowers are pretty good.

Not the fastest drive around(like all 1.5TB drives) but its quiet and uses little power.

In terms of price per GB 1TB is exactly the same as the 1.5TB....but I've heard the 1TB ones are faster and more reliable.

Blam

Oh dear.

"You have heard" twice in one post.
Have you any actual experience with the drive you ask Chilling Silence to buy?

May I ask how CS is going to fit 1.5 terabytes of data onto a 1 terabyte drive?

Blam
18-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Oh dear.

"You have heard" twice in one post.
Have you any actual experience with the drive you ask Chilling Silence to buy?

May I ask how CS is going to fit 1.5 terabytes of data onto a 1 terabyte drive?

I haven't personally, but I have read excellent reviews on them and I know of a friend who has two, who has recommended very highly of them

I also never stated for Chill to get a 1TB drive, I just said that they are around the same price and also faster. Just opening him to more options, thats all.

SolMiester
18-08-2009, 12:32 AM
1.5TB of data that cant be replaced, I would be either mirroring or perhap Raid 5 1Tb x 3

Sweep
18-08-2009, 01:53 AM
[quote=blam6;811284]I haven't personally, but I have read excellent reviews on them and I know of a friend who has two, who has recommended very highly of them

I also never stated for Chill to get a 1TB drive, I just said that they are around the same price and also faster. Just opening him to more options, thats all.[/quote

True but you did say this.

"In terms of price per GB 1TB is exactly the same as the 1.5TB....but I've heard the 1TB ones are faster and more reliable."

A one terabyte drive will not hold the same amount of data as the drive to be replaced I would think.

Yep. You could compress the data in zip or rar files possibly..

But as I have no idea about what data is to be stored or how the data is to be accessed I would hesitate to give an opinion.

My point remains. You have not done this yourself and you are going on the opinion of a friend are you not?

Then you pass this on as if it actually helps and a perfect solution for Chill.

Back to square one.

Unless the file(s) are compressed how would chill fit the content of a full 1.5 terabyte drive on to a 1 terabyte drive? This would assume that the content of the 1.5 was not compressed in the first place.

pcuser42
18-08-2009, 08:33 AM
1.5TB of data that cant be replaced, I would be either mirroring or perhap Raid 5 1Tb x 3

x2, get two or three drives this time.

Chilling_Silence
18-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Yeah a RAID solution is what I'm going to aim for, eventually, however funds are kind of lacking at the moment (Yeah, not good when it comes to data thats not replaceable).

So ... Still needing to go 1.5TB (Have around 1.2TB on the drive), just wanting something thats reliable. I don't really mind about speed / noise right now, just reliability :D

wainuitech
18-08-2009, 09:02 AM
I have not personally used the 1 or 1.5 TB drives, but going by Name brands, both Seagate and Western Digital give (Usually) good runs.

Maxtor = :groan: I have a pile of stuffed ones on the workshop floor ( all 4 + years old mind you) - last week I had to replace 2 customers maxtor drives because of failing sectors.

Ever since Seagate had their little Firmware issue a while back I have now been using WD's - they appear to be quieter and run nice.

If it were me :2cents: I'd go for WD. - and as pcuserwinvista Suggested - get a spare to make a backup.

Old saying --- ALL Hard drives will fail One day - could be a day old could be 10 years - but it will fail - better to be safe than sorry and have backups.

wratterus
18-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I second what Wainui has said, Maxtor is (or was? still don't trust them either way) a steaming heap of crap.

I havn't gone right off Seagate drives yet, although I'm using more WD. Got 3 Seagate 1TB drives in my home PC, they have never missed a beat. Definitely look to getting some sort of RAID setup though, with that amount of data you're not going to want it going AWOL!! :)

I have never used a 1.5TB drive...Don't particularly like being on the 'cutting edge' of hard drive technology, tried and true is the way to go if you like your data! :lol:

The Hitcher
18-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Excuse my newbiness at PF1, but I test dozens of ex lease HDDs weekly. They are generally 18 months to 2 years old.
For what it's worth, I find WD has fewer failures than Seagate. Samsung seem OK, Maxtor are by far the worst.

pctek
18-08-2009, 10:13 AM
I had dead/dying HDD week last week. Some customers were unaware of it even.
Samsungs and Maxtors were top of the list.

Seagate or WD. WD have "green, blue, black" etc. Black and the Raptors are the only ones with 5 yrs warranty.
The rest are 3 like Seagate now.

From what I've seen PSUs are the most common fail in a PC followed by HDDs.

Probably because most of the PSUs are crap and the HDD is one of the few mechanical bits left.......

linw
18-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Guess we have nothing better to work with, but basing buying decisions from past (superseded?) products seems a bit like driving by looking in the rear view mirror!

Seems like a much better sample than most of us see, The Hitcher.

Chilling_Silence
18-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Cool, so something like this would be the go then?
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=HDDWD1950
:)

wratterus
18-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Yep, ideal. Do bear in mind the green drives have that power saving feature where they slow down when not in use, not a problem for most applications.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=575

The price PB has is pretty good.

Agent_24
18-08-2009, 02:03 PM
If you want reliable drives, get yourself some SAS or FC and make a mirrored RAID array.

Western Digital might last longer since they use less power and therefore generate less heat

As a bonus they don't sound like a jet engine or a gatling-gun.

sammo450
18-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Western Digital advertise their drives as having the platter spindle fixed at both ends to reduce vibration. I thought all HDDs are like that? I own a 500GB Cavair Black, and although there is not much vibration, without a damping system it was making my case resonate, which I was quite surprised by. And regarding heat, it's usually around 43 celsius.

Agent_24
18-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Western Digital advertise their drives as having the platter spindle fixed at both ends to reduce vibration. I thought all HDDs are like that? I own a 500GB Cavair Black, and although there is not much vibration, without a damping system it was making my case resonate, which I was quite surprised by. And regarding heat, it's usually around 43 celsius.

I have yet to see a drive that doesn't secure the spindle at both ends.

I have a 250GB Western Digital which runs at 31 degrees

But I'm not sure I have faith in it since it has 1 reallocated sector already

It's under warranty but I doubt they'd replace it for just 1 sector

vims213
18-08-2009, 03:57 PM
I both agree with blam6 and wratterus about the WD Green Caviar drives.

My External HDD consists of WD Caviar Green 1TB internal drive.
Its not as as fast as the Caviar Black drives but quiet and reliable for me so far.

It comes with a 1.5TB Version as well.

mikebartnz
18-08-2009, 09:39 PM
True but you did say this.

"In terms of price per GB 1TB is exactly the same as the 1.5TB....but I've heard the 1TB ones are faster and more reliable."

A one terabyte drive will not hold the same amount of data as the drive to be replaced I would think.

Yep. You could compress the data in zip or rar files possibly..

But as I have no idea about what data is to be stored or how the data is to be accessed I would hesitate to give an opinion.

My point remains. You have not done this yourself and you are going on the opinion of a friend are you not?

Then you pass this on as if it actually helps and a perfect solution for Chill.

Back to square one.

Unless the file(s) are compressed how would chill fit the content of a full 1.5 terabyte drive on to a 1 terabyte drive? This would assume that the content of the 1.5 was not compressed in the first place.
Stop being a boring old fart.:D

Phil B
18-08-2009, 10:50 PM
With my working environment not being the best for computers, especially hard drives & have had to replace one every 6 months or so until about 2 years ago. I used to use seagate but found they don't last even the length of the warranty. They get full up with s**t & die. I now use a hitachi at work, it's been in for around 2 years & showing no signs of dieing. At home I use samsung. They are quiet & I haven't had one die yet. I've used seagate & western digital at home, but had the best run with samsung