PDA

View Full Version : Stand-by P5K SE Motherboard

Danielblarg
17-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I am running Windows Vista x64.
When I go into Stand-by it works, and turns back on perfectly, back after left in Stand-by for a while, it just turns completely off. I haven't seen what it does, as it has only been tested twice and both times it did it, and both times I wasn't at the computer when it got powered off. When I turn it back on it is the same as when it is recovering from hibernation.

I have the most up to date BIOS.

In device manager in Windows I have it set that my keyboard and mouse can't turn the computer back on.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Did you reconfigure the BIOS after you updated it? Is SP1 or 2 installed?

Is this what you did from the ASUS FAQ?

My system fails to enter Standby mode under VISTA OS with pure settings (Untouched freshly installed OS, all BIOS settings set to default, and jumpers are set to default settings as according to user manual.) System returns right back to the system every time when I tried to enter Standby mode. I have installed all related drivers for motherboard and VGA, and have only PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse connected to the motherboard.
Anything I can do to enter standby on this motherboard?

If you have recently updated your BIOS, please clear RTC RAM (CLRTC) jumper first, and load default at the BIOS menu. Sometimes, clearing RTC RAM (CLTRC) jumper and load BIOS default can help eliminate some of unexpected phenomenons. If this phenomenon still persists, it may be caused by VISTA OS. VISTA does not allow system to enter Standby mode, if "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" for an USB or PS/2 wake-supported device (such as mouse or keyboard) has been checked under "Device Manager", while the USB or PS/2 port has not switched its power mode to +5VSB that allows delivery of standby power to USB or PS/2 ports under soft OFF state. Because VISTA enables this standby option per default, and motherboards often set USB power modes to +5V at the same time, these two settings may result in conflict, hence resulting this phenomenon.

If you would like to wake your system from USB or PS/2 devices, please turn off your PC, set the appropriate USB port or PS/2 port jumper from +5V to +5VSB. Please follow the instructions in your user manual. Then your system will be able to enter and wake from standby mode as you desire.

Danielblarg
17-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Did you reconfigure the BIOS after you updated it? Is SP1 or 2 installed? Why change the settings for the kb and mouse in device manager then ?

Yes, SP2, I just thought I would point it out, I just pointed that out as I read elsewhere that it can do something with the stand-by.

I didn't do it from the ASUS FAQ.

Danielblarg
17-08-2009, 11:32 PM
I had hybrid sleep enabled so when it turned completely off it could resume as if it was hibernated, although I still don't know why it turns off in the first place!

Danielblarg
18-08-2009, 06:51 PM
I have hybrid sleep off now and it still is as if it is hibernated. Something must be turning it on and then hibernating.